Motherwell v Livingston

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some laugh that was, first half was the most enjoyable attacking performance at Fir Park in a long time.

Was like the good old Mark McGhee days, blew the other team away and had the game won inside 20 odd minutes. Some of the football on display was great to watch as well and you felt we could genuinely score every time we went forward.

The young boys will rightly grab the headlines but I thought the spine of Gillespie, Aldred, Gorrin and Main were all excellent. To be fair there were no failures today, Hastie though was sensational. Just great to watch in full flow, he and Ariyibi gave the Livi defence a torrid time and he was unfortunate not to grab his hat-trick with the one cleared off the line in the 2nd half.

Much, much more of that please Motherwell.

I fucking love Ariyibi. He could dribble for days. Hastie at full flight is great fun as well. That was brilliant to watch at times today and it’s great playing with direct wingers who carry the ball.

Gorrin and Turnbull are a massive upgrade on McHugh and Rose from last season. Gorrin was always in the right place and Turnbull’s ball to Campbell for the second goal just sums him up - composed swag. Main held the ball up well today as well.

I think I might actually like football again.

Set up wrong to begin with and never recovered from that. Only Gary Holt will know why he opted to go with Erskine and Lawless against the Motherwell wingers, do we even watch opposition teams before we play them? Absolute fucking madness. I hate to jump on the bandwagon slating Sibbald but between him and the aforementioned pair, they have the heart and strength combined of a mouse. 

Pumping balls up to Hardie and Tiffoney is never going to work so f**k knows why we persist. Picked up a bit in the second half and I thought all three subs played well, probably should’ve netted but you always felt Motherwell had took their foot off the gas but could snap back to it when they wanted. 

First time this season I thought we’ve been truly outplayed, which maybe is a compliment in itself, but there needs to be a bit of change somewhere along the line from us. 

One of these games where you don't know how much of it is a case of the opposition being shite (Livi defence were abysmal by their standards) and how much of it was a case of us being good. I'm giving most of the balance to us as just against hibs - the midfield looked really balanced and both wingers had their opponents on the verge of tears.

In our league, teams get to know each other inside out - but our transition from the lumpen one-paced bore-fest from the first half of the season to our current shape probably gives us an element of the unknown for a few weeks at least.

Hastie was great - mixed it physically with the livi defence. He tends to run in a straight line towards the goal and that revolutionary tactic seems pretty effective - big Gboly is the opposite and just tries to take everyone on and I really enjoy watching both.

With a mind to the game on Wednesday, we sensibly didn't knock our pan in during the 2nd half but if I was to be ultra critical, I'd like to have seen Scott on much earlier as you literally aren't going to get a more conducive game to get some experience for a young player.

A great days work all in - but we need to be greedy and get the 5th win in a row in Paisley if we've got any ambition to finish higher than we are now....

8 minutes ago, Afro said:

First time this season I thought we’ve been truly outplayed

I can't believe someone - anyone - thinks that about little old us. There really has been a sea change at Motherwell in just the last couple of weeks. 

Shame it came too late for Ross County in the Cup, though.

Tl;dr - The first 20 minutes were a shambles and the game was over then; points in the bag for Motherwell. Almost seems pointless discussing what happened after. 

From the perspective of the losing team, the goals weren’t great. First, a set piece. We were all over the shop and Halkett was left alone in the middle of defence for the second goal. That third one was two slips/missed tackles. Motherwell won the midfield scrapping.

Hard to tell from our end of the pitch but it seemed like Pittman (1-0) and Hardie (2-0?) went close.

Given the context, I don’t think there would ever be any credit in the second half performance. For what it’s worth I think we could have won that second half 1-0: Menga had a couple of crosses that flashed across the face of goal; a couple just didn’t drop in the box; and Tiffoney’s strike hitting the post. I don’t think there was huge gulf in that second half but as I said before there’s no credit when you are 3-0 down.

Overall, aye it was a pish start, and we’ve lost again but we can play better and I think we’ll get another few wins under our belt. I’d hold off on the panic stations just yet.

51 minutes ago, Afro said:

First time this season I thought we’ve been truly outplayed, which maybe is a compliment in itself, but there needs to be a bit of change somewhere along the line from us. 

Disagree. Shambolic first 20mins where most of what ‘Well hit went in. Don’t think the build-up or finishes were wonder goals.

McHugh to f**k - check

Two wingers - check

Technically superior youth players over English cloggers - check

balanced line up - check

ball on the ground - check

You know, all the things I was saying a year ago but that have only happened in the last few weeks.

BTW David Turnbull and Jake Hastie have between them 8 goals in only 14 starts this season. 

It’s a bad spell for the players just now but it doesn’t make them bad players. The team are working hard still but maybe just not getting the luck. They need to keep going. People saying boys like kelly Pittman byrne Halkett ain’t good enough to go play higher need to calm down , it wasn’t so long ago all these boys were getting praised. Let’s stick behind the team and help them get out this bad patch 

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Technically superior youth players over English cloggers - check

I'd wondered for a while what Motherwell fans thought of that. The squad being comprised almost exclusively of low quality, high wage players brought up from England. I hope the successes of Campbell, Turnbull and Hastie allows the Motherwell management to realise what you've pointed out there.

More than anything Hastie & Ariyibi are just great fun to watch. Two direct wingers that pick the ball up and want to carry it 40 yards up the park. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the months of this horrible long ball stuff. Add in to that David Turnbull being an absolute baller and I'm actually being entertained when I go to Fir Park. Turnbull controlling the ball with his back before sliding a through ball for Tait was a delight to watch.

Hastie deserves the plaudits for his goals for sure but the best player on the park yesterday was Rodriguez-Gorrín. Won so many tackles and brought players into the game. I'm beginning to think Michael Stewart was on to something a while back. 

16 hours ago, MJC said:

Seeing young players breaking through and making a big impact on the first team has been the highlight of the season for me. It's something we've not seen nearly enough of over the past decade but for clubs our size it's so important for us to be able to develop and bring through our own talent. Turnbull and now Hastie's breakthrough have been great to see.

See, the thing about this is that it's not some tokenist, "WhY dOnt We pLaY tHe YoUtH pLayErS", least worst thing. Which is absolutely smashing to see.

It's not a case of trying to make Dom Thomas happen. Hastie, Turnbull etc are legit the best players for their positions and unlike McGhee chucking Hastie on as a sub when he was 17 he's actually ready to be in the first team now.

In fact, a gentle reminder that both Hastie and Turnbull are both younger just now than Thomas was when he was getting hooked inside an hour against East Stirling yet they've made more of an impact in fewer games than the bold DT23 did in his entire Motherwell career.

10 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

I'd wondered for a while what Motherwell fans thought of that. The squad being comprised almost exclusively of low quality, high wage players brought up from England. I hope the successes of Campbell, Turnbull and Hastie allows the Motherwell management to realise what you've pointed out there.

To be fair, it’s all about balance. 

Yesterday’s win was our 3rd on the spin was built on our 3rd clean sheet in a row, having only kept 3 in the previous 13.  The back 4 plus the goalkeeper comprises exclusively of players we signed from the lower leagues in England.  

Yesterday for example, Gillespie made several important saves in the 1st half at crucial times and his excellent distribution led to the 3rd goal. Aldred was and has been an absolute colossus at the back in recent weeks as well.

As mentioned above, Campbell and Turnbull grab the headlines but Rodriguez-Gorrin has been excellent in the last 3 games. He seems to be making things tick at the minute and has been pivotal in our transformation from hoofball to football. 

Just like Ariyibi and Hastie will get the plaudits for their eye catching displays, Curtis Main gave a textbook performance in leading the line yesterday. Did a lot of the ugly work, held up the ball, linked things up and he even topped it off with a lovely goal. 

So yes, the younger boys have alll been excellent and fully deserve all the plaudits coming their way. However, the other 8 players who were pretty much exclusively all brought up from the lower leagues in England have more than played their part in recent weeks.

23 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Yesterday’s win was our 3rd on the spin was built on our 3rd clean sheet in a row, having only kept 3 in the previous 13.  The back 4 plus the goalkeeper comprises exclusively of players we signed from the lower leagues in England.  

Yesterday for example, Gillespie made several important saves in the 1st half at crucial times and his excellent distribution led to the 3rd goal. Aldred was and has been an absolute colossus at the back in recent weeks as well.

As mentioned above, Campbell and Turnbull grab the headlines but Rodriguez-Gorrin has been excellent in the last 3 games. He seems to be making things tick at the minute and has been pivotal in our transformation from hoofball to football. 

Just like Ariyibi and Hastie will get the plaudits for their eye catching displays, Curtis Main gave a textbook performance in leading the line yesterday. Did a lot of the ugly work, held up the ball, linked things up and he even topped it off with a lovely goal. 

So yes, the younger boys have alll been excellent and fully deserve all the plaudits coming their way. However, the other 8 players who were pretty much exclusively all brought up from the lower leagues in England have more than played their part in recent weeks.

This is exactly it for us. 'The Model' is based on lower league acquisitions who we promise a platform and hope to make a profit on, and promotion of our own youngsters. 

It's plain for all to see that the summer recruitment was an absolute clusterfuck. Yes, these types of signings will be a gamble, but very few of them this time have paid off.  Of yesterday's starting eleven, only Gillespie from the English based summer incomings started. 

However, the flip side of that is the opportunity our younger lads have had recently to flourish, with Turnbull and now Hastie taking full advantage. 

Going into next season, if these boys can cement themselves as starters, and with the likes of Maguire, Brown and Scott all pushing as well, then the model will be working. Martin Foyle et al who are working on the scouting system down south just need to up their game in spotting the right experienced lower league guys to come up to complement them. 

This season as a whole has been a write off, but the turnaround in results and the emergence of some real young talent will at least give some interest to the remaining fixtures. 

Great post. Also to add I think both Tait and Grimshaw have been excellent past few games.

There defensive work and support has allowed both Hastie and Ariyibi effectively free reign.

It’s been a definite collective resurgence.

Archived