Social Prescribing

Was watching an article on BBC lunchtime news about a new system NHS England are introducing called Social Prescribing .

Its aimed at people with weight, diabetes , mental health issues who are then prescribed to a social physical activity by a Link Worker .

The aim is to employ 1000 Link Workers over the next few years to handle around 900,000 appointments each year.

Have we as a society become so passive that we need to be prescribed activity by the NHS instead of getting up off our backsides and taking the initiative ourselves ?

I’m undecided as to whether I think this is a good idea or not and wondered what the P&B masses thoughts on this were and if they would consider going to their GP for a Social Prescription?

Post a link.  I cant be arsed looking. 

Spoiler

Seriously, part of me says society shouldn't need this but on the other hand if it gets lazy folk out and about then so be it.  You can apparently be prescribed some Nature in Orkney (or Shetland, cant remember).   Which is nice. 

3 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Was watching an article on BBC lunchtime news about a new system NHS England are introducing called Social Prescribing .

Its aimed at people with weight, diabetes , mental health issues who are then prescribed to a social physical activity by a Link Worker .

The aim is to employ 1000 Link Workers over the next few years to handle around 900,000 appointments each year.

Have we as a society become so passive that we need to be prescribed activity by the NHS instead of getting up off our backsides and taking the initiative ourselves ?

I’m undecided as to whether I think this is a good idea or not and wondered what the P&B masses thoughts on this were and if they would consider going to their GP for a Social Prescription?

I would suggest that people with mental health issues find it quite difficult to "get off their backsides and take initiative" though. I haven't seen any of these proposals so I can't really comment, but if it's designed to create jobs and take some of the strain away from NHS doctors/nurses looking after other issues then it may well be a good thing.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Post a link.  I cant be arsed looking. 

Hide contents

Seriously, part of me says society shouldn't need this but on the other hand if it gets lazy folk out and about then so be it.  You can apparently be prescribed some Nature in Orkney (or Shetland, cant remember).   Which is nice. 

Shetland isnt nice. Its shit. The best thing about Shetland is that you can dig it up and burn it. 

16 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

I don't think it is about lack of effort or initiative. The problem is that when you have some issues i.e weight, mental health etc. then it is easy to throw up barriers to doing exercise, mainly because you are scared, scared that people will laugh at you or scared about doing something unknown and making the first step to go. That is where schemes like this might work because authority figures can be useful motivators.

There is also a practical aspect. I know for example, that memberships to the local council leisure centers are actually not that affordable but if you require exercise as part of a medical rehabilitation programme, then you get a super discounted rate - I think this is just widening that kind of thinking really.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I would suggest that people with mental health issues find it quite difficult to "get off their backsides and take initiative" though. 

Totally agree, but the impression they gave was it was aimed more at people with weight issues and type 2 diabetes.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Did they not find a cure for type 2 diabetes just by going on a super restricted diet?

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/research/research-round-up/research-spotlight/research-spotlight-low-calorie-liquid-diet

I dare say a bit of exercise and peer encouragement wouldn't hurt too. To be honest I think it's a good idea, if there is a non-medical way of getting good results then it should definitely be used.

I can’t disagree tbh , but do we really need to be signposted into doing this ? 

There will obviously be huge costs involved regarding the funding of the new Link Workers and the activities prescribed.

I just wonder if the majority of people with weight issues should be taking the initiative themselves without it having to be prescribed at additional cost to the taxpayer 

2 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

I can’t disagree tbh , but do we really need to be signposted into doing this ? 

There will obviously be huge costs involved regarding the funding of the new Link Workers and the activities prescribed.

I just wonder if the majority of people with weight issues should be taking the initiative themselves without it having to be prescribed at additional cost to the taxpayer 

Reddied by a fatty 

How appropriate :D

This will only lead to bullying in our schools and workplaces.   "You need a Link Worker you fat, pastry-loving c**t"    

No, give a man a skipping rope and he'll shed the pounds ( or hang himself ).   Give a man an appointment to see a Link Worker and he'll end up in the depression forum.  

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I suspect the costs of funding these workers vs the ~10% of the NHS budget spent on treating diabetes is favourable otherwise I wonder if they'd be doing it.

Re people doing it off their own initiative - I think it's important to realise just how intimidating a gym environment is to someone who is visibly overweight. For those who grit their teeth and push through the doors they're often pleasantly surprised to find out everyone in there is far too busy focusing on their own workout to give a stuff if you're a bit fat, but that is an enormous psychological hurdle. So anything that gets people over that hump so to speak probably pays for itself many times over.

However, there’s lots of other ways to exercise without necessarily going to a gym

When you find something comes naturally to you it can be hard to see why other people might have difficulty in doing it. You can see this all the time in daily life - IT support workers get frustrated explaining basic things to people who don’t know anything about computers for example. Things that are intuitive for one type of person are completely alien to another. The same goes for this - some people are very active and fit either naturally or because they’ve been raised to be or have learned it. Some people just aren’t and a service like this helps them with it.

7 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Totally agree, but the impression they gave was it was aimed more at people with weight issues and type 2 diabetes.

I think there's probably a bigger picture to consider here.  If it actually works and gets overweight people exercising and practising healthy lifestyles then it's going to have a knock on effect in relieving pressure from the NHS in the long run. If we need to physically tell them how to do that and it takes some time and money then I'm okay with it.  I think this should be extended to include education too - sure, at school they show you a wee bit of cooking and they show you what exercise is, but I certainly don't remember being shown what constitutes a healthy lifestyle or what a healthy diet looked like - no, eat 5 pieces of fruit a day isn't an example of healthy diet. Teach them how to live well at a young age and it may well mean less overweight/diabetes issues to deal with. We do something wrong here though, I think we have the third worst record for obesity in Europe?  

7 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Again I haven't looked at any proposals, but perhaps this could be implemented in a similar way to smoking? If you want to quit smoking you go to your GP and he prescribes you some nicotine patches/gum. If you want to lose weight go to your GP and he'll prescribe you some get fit course.  Those who want to do it off their own back are free to do so and those who want help get it at affordable prices.

Archived