Elgin v QP

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Still waiting. 

Apologies, I went to bed rather than sitting on the internet all night.  I don't know if covers were put down.  You decided that City had done nothing and I asked where you read that.  The above comment indicates to me that your 'probing' (unusual word if asking a straight question) is akin to trolling, but I'm not playing.

Have  a safe journey up if the game is on.

When you're not playing in the national stadium you may well find out how hard it is for clubs at this level to reverse the elements!

Deflection tactic declined.

It's not like cold weather is new to Elgin or it's crept up on you. 7 day forecasts are pretty accurate these days. You've a training area behind the terrace at one end so no reason for players to be on the pitch midweek.

Let's just be honest here. Dragging our players away from their work/studies and then sticking them in a coach for 4-5 hours on a Tuesday gives ECFC an advantage. Especially as the Unstoppable Goal Machine is fully fired up and you've just lost your talisman. All looks a bit iffy.

Still time to save this fixture.

9 hours ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

When you're not playing in the national stadium you may well find out how hard it is for clubs at this level to reverse the elements!

We played a season at Lesser in 98/99 when the South Stand was being built. Seem to remember a cup tie against Clach being postponed multiple times before going ahead on a baltic midweek evening. The science of freezing temperatures and football pitches is fairly straightforward. We're currently in an extremely privileged position that others aren't in. 

Losing 200 off gate and hospitality is insentive enough to get a Saturday game on. It’s been frosty all week so covers would have had to go down on Sunday. No way covers could be down that length of time without taking them off periodically to let the pitch breathe. That takes a lot of manpower and also let’s Jack Frost in! 

14 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It's not like cold weather is new to Elgin or it's crept up on you. 7 day forecasts are pretty accurate these days. You've a training area behind the terrace at one end so no reason for players to be on the pitch midweek.

Let's just be honest here. Dragging our players away from their work/studies and then sticking them in a coach for 4-5 hours on a Tuesday gives ECFC an advantage. Especially as the Unstoppable Goal Machine is fully fired up and you've just lost your talisman. All looks a bit iffy.

You've aired these misguided thoughts before. Like Elgin have some advantage because teams have to travel a long way - maybe in midweek. We have to travel these distances for every away game and have had our fair share of rearranged games. Elgin to Berwick on a Tuesday night anyone!?

15 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

:lol::lol::lol:

There's so much wrong with this post, that he surely has to be a troll, just has to be. 

I'll add this to the points already mentioned by other Elgin fans...

- The whole of Scotland is used to cold weather, just wait and see how many games in the country will be postponed this weekend despite having those magical 7 day forecasts at their disposal. 

- The team doesn't train in Elgin, even if they did you do realise a frozen pitch means the ground 50 feet outside of the ground is gonna be frozen too right?

- Half our squad are central belt based and will be making the exact same or similar journey as the QP team 

The amount bitterness held against Elgin over the years for having the cheek to be located so far North is something I've never really understood. Good luck to all you central belt softies if Brora or Wick ever get promoted. 

:lol::lol::lol:
There's so much wrong with this post, that he surely has to be a troll, just has to be. 
I'll add this to the points already mentioned by other Elgin fans...
- The whole of Scotland is used to cold weather, just wait and see how many games in the country will be postponed this weekend despite having those magical 7 day forecasts at their disposal. 
- The team doesn't train in Elgin, even if they did you do realise a frozen pitch means the ground 50 feet outside of the ground is gonna be frozen too right?
- Half our squad are central belt based and will be making the exact same or similar journey as the QP team 
The amount bitterness held against Elgin over the years for having the cheek to be located so far North is something I've never really understood. Good luck to all you central belt softies if Brora or Wick ever get promoted. 

I thought the “Unstoppable Goal Machine” bit might have been a clue[emoji6]

13 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Frankly, it was never going to be on. Is there some illogical rule that prevented this fixture or any other being reversed to avoid a pile up of unwanted midweek games? Surely clubs would welcome the extra revenue from playing on Saturdays?

Depends on how late you make the decision. Catering orders, staffing, stewarding all need to be considered and you'd generally need reasonable notice. It can be done, as we see with cup replays, but the possibility of them happening is at least known about in advance. 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Depends on how late you make the decision. Catering orders, staffing, stewarding all need to be considered and you'd generally need reasonable notice. It can be done, as we see with cup replays, but the possibility of them happening is at least known about in advance. 

Agreed, but this game has had no chance since last Tuesday. A few phone calls will get security and catering staff within hours. Take your point about other staff but where there is a will there is a way. It has been done before.

1 hour ago, williebraveheart said:

Agreed, but this game has had no chance since last Tuesday. A few phone calls will get security and catering staff within hours. Take your point about other staff but where there is a will there is a way. It has been done before.

Could also be a struggle getting the word out. Not all of our support will be frequent internet users. Also likely to be covered by an easily missed sentence in the papers. A number Elgin players and staff could also have post-match events on the Saturday night, with it having been a scheduled home game. I think the short-term turnaround would be difficult and unfair to implement. 

Undoubtedly, its frustrating. Everyone wants a 3pm kick off on a Saturday and going up there on a Tuesday night isn't ideal. However, if we're still in the same league, there's every chance that the roles could be reversed when we're at Lesser. It's just one of those things that will always happen. Elgin will certainly have had more ball aches than us on that front during their time in the SFL. Every single away game is a treck.

It's swings and roundabouts really. Here's our home fixture against Elgin, stuck in the middle of 3 away games. But given we've still to go to Berwick in a midweek and with Peterheid just a fortnight away in chilly Fashtoon we could be looking at 3 long hauls midweek.

Definitely a conspiracy here. Seriously hampering our chances of winning this league.

image.png.014b9db1813c9d29b02f1de67077ba72.png

Archived