Stirling Albion v Clyde

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Other than for the specific reason I gave in the part of my post you quoted ?

I was battering the drum for a three, when Jordan Stewart was sidelined but able to make the bench, and Tom Lang resumed full training giving us our full four central options, primarily to make full use of our midfield more than anything else. But seeing as in two months (by Saturday) we'd have conceded one deliberately constructed goal, as a result of the two obvious (enforced) changes having shaken up the pecking order to make it look very unlikely that the previous 1st choice might not get back in, i'd be in no hurry to piss around with the lineup whatsoever right now. 

Stewart himself, while i'm not personally a great fan nor convinced he'll convert me to being one, gives an outlet no one else could on the left. He took up some great positions on Saturday, against a very stuffy side. Given how we're lining up atm, Lamont in my eyes is developing into a better central midfielder than a winger, and having Rankin's versatility alongside is aiding that.

Going to a three would inevitably have some connotations for the midfield that has been responsible for the season's revival. And if opting for Lamont or Boyle (neither natural wide players) on the left without Stewart's outside attacking edge, we'd have f**k all else going down that side. 

39 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

It was a rhetorical question.

No it wasn't. It was a stupid fucking question given the answer was in front of you

Officer B - usually I'd leave what's working alone, I was just trying to think of a way to get the most natural finisher in Love on from the start.  Tight games, fine margins, could be the difference.  For the title, draws are probably the same as defeats.   There's enough distance between us and fifth to make sure playoffs are pretty much in the bag.  

He's obviously decided on his system anyway, so it'll be same starting line up as Saturday.  

23 minutes ago, macclyde+ said:

Given the forecast I would think there would be some doubt about this game going ahead ?

The Stirling lads will know better than me how the pitch stands up to frost etc .

They are covers going down tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully it will keep mother nature out 

IMO, Peterhead & Edinburgh will win the vast majority of their games, so to win the league we'll need to do the same.  Without tempting fate (!) I'd say our playoff place is pretty much secured
Starting on Saturday, the next two games will be good tests for us, in fact Feb will be a big month
We've now the best defensive options available since the past decade and a quality midfield. That'll make us hard to beat.  The question will be whether without DGW we'll have enough cutting edge to turn tight games into victories. 
I would go with a 3 at the back - Lang, Rumsby & Cogill - to allow a starting spot for Love who looks the most natural goalscorer and can play with Kriss in a front 2. 
I think he'll go with the same starting line up as Saturday, keep it tight and look to somehow grind out a narrow win
Stirling, you could probably lose on Saturday and still easily make the playoffs, so, y'know, would be a nice gesture...:rolleyes:
Would be interesting to see a back three of cogill Rumbsy and Lang but doubt Lennon will change we have conceeded 1 goal in last 4 only change might be Love for Boyle , but I doubt even that will happen I would start Love think he gives us a goal threat as well as energy and aggression But I'm also happy to go with the same team These two games are huge I genuinely feel if we win the next two we will go on and win the league but 4 out the the next 6 points wouldn't be a disaster with Edinburgh twice ( I think they are shot to Sh*t 1 win in 5 ) and peterhead at home would give us a great chance Its all up for grabs most I feel would still make peterhead the favourites

They are covers going down tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully it will keep mother nature out 

I will nip over after work and get them lifted again [emoji6].

Given Stirling’s form a P-P wouldn’t be the worst result here until we get Goodie back.

27 minutes ago, cfcuk said:
6 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:
IMO, Peterhead & Edinburgh will win the vast majority of their games, so to win the league we'll need to do the same.  Without tempting fate (!) I'd say our playoff place is pretty much secured
Starting on Saturday, the next two games will be good tests for us, in fact Feb will be a big month
We've now the best defensive options available since the past decade and a quality midfield. That'll make us hard to beat.  The question will be whether without DGW we'll have enough cutting edge to turn tight games into victories. 
I would go with a 3 at the back - Lang, Rumsby & Cogill - to allow a starting spot for Love who looks the most natural goalscorer and can play with Kriss in a front 2. 
I think he'll go with the same starting line up as Saturday, keep it tight and look to somehow grind out a narrow win
Stirling, you could probably lose on Saturday and still easily make the playoffs, so, y'know, would be a nice gesture...:rolleyes:

Would be interesting to see a back three of cogill Rumbsy and Lang but doubt Lennon will change we have conceeded 1 goal in last 4 only change might be Love for Boyle , but I doubt even that will happen I would start Love think he gives us a goal threat as well as energy and aggression But I'm also happy to go with the same team These two games are huge I genuinely feel if we win the next two we will go on and win the league but 4 out the the next 6 points wouldn't be a disaster with Edinburgh twice ( I think they are shot to Sh*t 1 win in 5 ) and peterhead at home would give us a great chance Its all up for grabs most I feel would still make peterhead the favourites

Apparently Peterhead were lucky to only lose by 3.... remember their major stumble  in final third of season last year.... Edinburgh must surely have a real confidence issue after the last 5 games- I fancy us- tough one next week for sure- but we have a very talented squad who are all playing for each other and the fans- 

Lets just keep playing good football and see where this fantastic run of form takes us....... and let’s not panic  if/when we hit the first bump in the road.

Well done to the lads, the management and the Board for the effort in closing the gap over the past few weeks.

13 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

I will nip over after work and get them lifted again emoji6.png.

Given Stirling’s form a P-P wouldn’t be the worst result here until we get Goodie back.

You'll start them off with the accusations, Christ. 

Agreed, of all the away matches remaining (i include QP and Edinburgh in that) this is the one game i'd choose to not have him missing. Stirling are easily the best side i've seen not to beat us in the League (Coggill's leveller saved us that), and will sail into 4th spot. Just hopefully not on Saturday. 

I wouldn't change the starting line-up or the formation. MacDonald, Smith and Makin will be a tough test and would rather play a formation familiar to the team. We've also only conceded 1 goal in the last 6 games.

If we need to change it up front then can bring Love off the bench as we did against Cowdenbeath and go two up top then.

- temperatures predicted every night with one at minus 5 however it's the met office and the BBC weather forecasts so every likelyhood we will be sitting with Bermudas on at forthbank come Saturday

Re Stirling forwards. I thought last season we had seen the best and possibly the end of MacDonald and Smith. But with the arrival of Mackin they seemed to have upped their game. Goals can come from anyone of the three amigos. Up against an  impregnable defence. Throw into the mix fans who think their PO position is secure......what can possibly go wrong.

Barring a snow covering tomorrow. Our new covers should keep out the frost and game will be on

Just now, dave_binos said:

Noticed in the Clyde match thread from the weekend that Kevin Nicoll may not start? If this is the case, we have a chance as he is always outstanding against us. A player I’d love at the Albion.

You'd have a better chance if he was in the team. The system we're playing now is what has brought us six wins in a row; it's only possible to play such a way because there's more mobility in the team without him. He's a very effective player but fairly limited, and we've generally looked a much better team since he's been on the bench.

2 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

Noticed in the Clyde match thread from the weekend that Kevin Nicoll may not start? If this is the case, we have a chance as he is always outstanding against us. A player I’d love at the Albion.

He’s not started for a while now but tends to come on near the end to help see the games out. First game against Stirling this season he was brilliant - smashed a shot off the bar I’m sure?

i fancy Stirling to make the playoffs & see it being a really tough game at the weekend but have every confidence in the players & management. 

Hoping for a good vocal backing to spur the team on!

Nicol is a valuable squad member now, McStay and Grant are now maturing into very effective midfield players he will not get many starts. Grant has managed to add some missing aggression to his game and McStay is beginning to show the consistency his undoubted ability needed. He is also solid!

There will be a place for Nicol over the next run of games but we are much, much more creative with the current midfield, not forgetting Rankin and Lamont’s contribution. Huge credit to Lennon for developing these guys ( not Rankin obviously, that was already there).

2 hours ago, cfcuk said:
8 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Difficult to suggest dropping anyone as they're all playing well.  It's just with the situation we're in, fine margins can be down to that little extra cutting edge.  Love's record shows he can deliver so I'd look to start him in some kind of system, even if it's a straight swap.  Would probably keep Kriss up there just for his height.

I'm obviously talking here about keeping a push on for the title.  Because of our defensive options I doubt we'd likely lose many games, but it's best to assume the other two will keep winning so we have to, then if they slip up, that's their problem. 

Think this game is going to be a belter, so much so I'm trying to get the day off work to come along!

It's always a tough game at Forthbank, I can't ever really remember us winning there all that comfortably apart from a 6-3 win about 18 years ago!

Hoping for a win even if it's a 90th minute OG off Peaso's arse but I can see it being a score draw.

Mon the Clyde!

Difficult to suggest dropping anyone as they're all playing well.  It's just with the situation we're in, fine margins can be down to that little extra cutting edge.  Love's record shows he can deliver so I'd look to start him in some kind of system, even if it's a straight swap.  Would probably keep Kriss up there just for his height.
I'm obviously talking here about keeping a push on for the title.  Because of our defensive options I doubt we'd likely lose many games, but it's best to assume the other two will keep winning so we have to, then if they slip up, that's their problem. 
I agree it is about fine margins and bringing in a player or change in formation against certain teams could make all the difference It comes down to management if Lennon explains to a player why he is making the changes (might not always work ) What we have is a real squad mentality now you can see when we score a goal the attitude of the subs is top notch
Credit to the manager and assistant for creating such a togetherness For me that also comes from the top as well and the chairman has certainly nurtured a real, were all in this together feeling amongst the fans the donation from the Glasgow Branch evidence of this ( not the first one either ) The 205 contributing each week season tickets; merchandising the broadwood suite each Saturday and the legends lunches etc

Archived