Airdrieonians v Dumbarton

I actually think that the second goal we conceded was even worse.

Why on earth is there a HUGE gap in our defensive line that allows 3 airdrie players to run through unnoticed?
Utterly shocking organisation there.
f07c5ec70d3d2fccc654f2d24fc8af5b.png&key=8ca2ab1899cc18224c02da8916bde575e45d67742ff5ec2e4a939fc72f7406a1
Aye, I think the first one just stood out more as it was minutes into the game. Both were terribly defended.

There's no guarantee that playing these guys in their natural positions would help but it seems like the obvious thing to do after Saturday. Based on what the Morton fans have said about Duffy and what we are starting to see ourselves I'm not sure doing the obvious thing is something he does very often.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aye, I think the first one just stood out more as it was minutes into the game. Both were terribly defended.

There's no guarantee that playing these guys in their natural positions would help but it seems like the obvious thing to do after Saturday. Based on what the Morton fans have said about Duffy and what we are starting to see ourselves I'm not sure doing the obvious thing is something he does very often.

I know what you mean. We seem to concede in the first few minutes of games way too often and it's becoming a recurring thing.

You're definitely right with the players playing out of position needlessly.

One of the big problems with that second goal is that Ballantyne is miles out of position. He was supposed to be playing left back but maybe found himself drifting over to his natural right side. He almost looks as though he is playing as a right centre back when that pass is played through.

I actually think that the second goal we conceded was even worse.

Why on earth is there a HUGE gap in our defensive line that allows 3 airdrie players to run through unnoticed?
Utterly shocking organisation there.
f07c5ec70d3d2fccc654f2d24fc8af5b.png&key=8ca2ab1899cc18224c02da8916bde575e45d67742ff5ec2e4a939fc72f7406a1

I put Forbes laziness as sole blame. He just appears to not bother tracking Gallagher.

25 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

I put Forbes laziness as sole blame. He just appears to not bother tracking Gallagher.

I get that Forbes is lazy sometimes. He can maybe take a portion of the blame for not tracking a man but certainly not the majority let alone the sole blame.

A gap that size in the last line of defense is not the fault of Forbes. End of story.

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Having  Brechin-esque season in the Championship is preferable to this fucking shitemare, in just about every way.

I think if it had been Airdrie that had a season of defeats ,it would be pals and family only through the gates .

Forbes didn't cover himself in glory but come on, you can't solely blame him for that. Paton gets bullied by McIntosh when he should really be getting shot of the ball, Forbes just completely gives up when he loses the ball and the defence has more gaps than a witch doctor's necklace. Considering we were defending a corner seconds before the goal it makes the gaps even more frustrating as we had the majority of our team in our own box. In Ballantynes defence I think he stays in a central position because both Forbes and Paton are in the left back area.

Much like the first goal it's collective shiteness and errors.

2 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

It was also Forbes who lost the ball in the lead up to the goal

I think Paton and Forbes are the main culprits as both lost the ball far too easily. Paton managed to get a tackle in which went straight to Forbes and rather than getting rid of the ball he tried to over play it and lost it really softly. Then didn't chase in to shut down GG before he played another far too easy through ball.

I don’t think there is much point complaining about mistakes leading up to goals, unless the mistakes are awful. For every goal scored, however good, the defending team’s fans will find fault with the defending. For example, I thought both Dumbarton’s goals were well taken excellent strikes. No doubt, however, Murray will spend some time this week giving the defence pelters!

I don’t think there is much point complaining about mistakes leading up to goals, unless the mistakes are awful. For every goal scored, however good, the defending team’s fans will find fault with the defending. For example, I thought both Dumbarton’s goals were well taken excellent strikes. No doubt, however, Murray will spend some time this week giving the defence pelters!
There is every point in complaining about mistakes leading up to goals when the team you support are doing it multiple times every damn week.

I'm sure most Sons fans could forgive the odd mistake if we were winning regularly but we're not.

40 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

There is every point in complaining about mistakes leading up to goals when the team you support are doing it multiple times every damn week.

I'm sure most Sons fans could forgive the odd mistake if we were winning regularly but we're not.

This.

Plus, the quality of finishing wasn't overly high for the Airdrie goals (because it didn't have to be). Dumbarton's goals were both excellent finishes. There's no doubting we made it easier for you guys to score than you did for us.

6 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

I think Paton and Forbes are the main culprits as both lost the ball far too easily. Paton managed to get a tackle in which went straight to Forbes and rather than getting rid of the ball he tried to over play it and lost it really softly. Then didn't chase in to shut down GG before he played another far too easy through ball.

I'm not getting this main culprits thing...

If Forbes had just aimlessly lumped it up the park after getting the ball I'm sure most people (myself included) would have complained. A player should be able to lose the ball when the rest of the team are behind them and be confident that the 8 players behind him have some form of organisation and not all standing in the same area of the pitch  twiddling their thumbs and are able to defend competently.

That back line of defense is an absolute shambles from left to right. I just hope that Duffy starts playing them all in their natural positions and that Barr can slot in next week and take some control of it.

Archived