Airdrieonians v Dumbarton

Back to the actual football...

That is a shocking first goal for us to concede. The throw in is taken quickly and Hutton is standing there with his thumb up his arse and loses his man, then Henk and Ferguson just kind of watch the ball sail over them, Adam makes an absolutely guff attempt at palming the ball away before Carswell comically attempts to stop the rebound going in.

A great equaliser from Barr and a tidy finish from Thomas aside I thought we looked fairly shite, although I'll admit it's hard to judge from highlights. The defence does not look comfortable in the slightest, particularly Ferguson. It's completely baffling to me that Duffy has the option to play them all in a position that is natural to them yet he chooses to play 3 of them out of position.

That pitch looked terrible FWIW and I'm surprised the game went ahead.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Just seems that the Dumbo fans are a bit raging for no real reason here.

We've got a really bad fixation with blaming refs, I honestly read/hear at least 1 comment every week about how the ref has cost us in some way.

As for the game, a decent point all things considered.  I'm told Mango was fit to start at the weekend but wasn't risked due to the pitch, so I'm hopeful that we'll see a more comfortable defence from now on but we still lose piss poor goals and we have this terrible habit of conceding goals almost immediately after we've scored. Great goal from Bobby Barr and he seemed to have a bit of buzz about him on Saturday, we need that more often from him. As shite as we've been for most of the season I think I count 3 games in total where I've been impressed with the opposition - Forfar, Arbroath and Raith, but even then I think we're capable of getting a result against Raith. Nobody should be feared in this league and we can get out of the relegation scrap, but we simply need to turn these types of draws into wins.

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Incredible this argument still gets rolled out after most games, at EVERY level.
I wasn't at the game (for good reason), but your seriously not telling me, that in Dumbarton's precarious position (as is ours relating to the playoff hope) that if at any point, in any games between now in the end of the season, Dumbarton are in a winning position, you'll be de-crying a bit of gamesmanship to run down a few minutes here and there?
B*llocks.

The fact that you weren't in attendance on Saturday rather negates your incredulity, but yes, I'm seriously telling you that I hated this sort of shite when Murray was with us and I hate it in general.  A wee bit of latitude here and there is fine but Airdrie were taking the piss big-time at the weekend.  Perhaps one of your fellow supporters who WAS there can explain why substituted players really need to shake hands with team-mates as they stroll off the park.  Bawbags.

The fact that you weren't in attendance on Saturday rather negates your incredulity, but yes, I'm seriously telling you that I hated this sort of shite when Murray was with us and I hate it in general.  A wee bit of latitude here and there is fine but Airdrie were taking the piss big-time at the weekend.  Perhaps one of your fellow supporters who WAS there can explain why substituted players really need to shake hands with team-mates as they stroll off the park.  Bawbags.
It wasn't for the want of being there that stopped me, trust me.
Maybe if your own team had chosen to "wind down the clock" in the playoff final moments, you might not even have had to endure such nightmarish scenes as opposition players shaking hands on their way off, since this is obviously the only team/league/level it happens at.
Dry yer eyes.

Didn't think we wrre particulary bad a t time wasting even when in the lead & even some of the Dumbarton free kicks  / shys were a tad slow. For real time wasting take a visit to Stenny when they are in the lead and witness the Goalie take a large pole to try to retrieve the ball from the nets at the east end & walk slower than an octegenarian on a zimmer every time he goes for the ball.

It wasn't for the want of being there that stopped me, trust me.
Maybe if your own team had chosen to "wind down the clock" in the playoff final moments, you might not even have had to endure such nightmarish scenes as opposition players shaking hands on their way off, since this is obviously the only team/league/level it happens at.
Dry yer eyes.
My eyes are fine my friend, and for what it's worth Alloa fully deserved to win the play-offs - no complaints here.

There's no doubt that refs and linesmen aren't that great, but I remember from the season we won the league...when you're winning games the bad decisions aren't critical...if you're 3-0 up...not getting a corner or a poor offside decision makes no difference

When you're fighting for every single point...they are much more noticeable

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Perhaps one of your fellow supporters who WAS there can explain why substituted players really need to shake hands with team-mates as they stroll off the park.

Please tell me that you're not talking about Daryl Duffy's brief detour to high five Leighton McIntosh (I think it was).

If that behaviour triggered you then I'd hate to think what  effect on your emotional state proper time-wasting would have.

2 hours ago, aftershocker said:

There's no doubt that refs and linesmen aren't that great, but I remember from the season we won the league...when you're winning games the bad decisions aren't critical...if you're 3-0 up...not getting a corner or a poor offside decision makes no difference

When you're fighting for every single point...they are much more noticeable

That sums it up pretty well. People like to spout clichés about how when you 'are down there' things tend to go against you. No they don't, as you say when things go against you when you're 3-0 up you laugh at the ref and then forget it, when they go against at 0-0 in the 89th minute you focus on it for days after.

As a Dumbarton fan, I didn’t think Airdrie’s time wasting was anything different to normal at the weekend, yes, they slowed it down at free kicks and goal kicks but apart from that I’ve seen much, much worse many times, including from us. In fact I was actually surprised when one of the Airdrie players chose run off to be substituted instead of walk.

The decision by linesman to award a goal kick when Thomas kicked it off the defender was absolutely remarkable though.

As a Dumbarton fan, I didn’t think Airdrie’s time wasting was anything different to normal at the weekend, yes, they slowed it down at free kicks and goal kicks but apart from that I’ve seen much, much worse many times, including from us. In fact I was actually surprised when one of the Airdrie players chose run off to be substituted instead of walk.

The decision by linesman to award a goal kick when Thomas kicked it off the defender was absolutely remarkable though.
At the time I thought it was a corner. Could the lino have seen it come back and off Thomas? Not worth a rage mind you.

6 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Conducive to a healthy team spirit.

5 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

The time-wasting thing really grates on me. It happens and it’s streetwise of a team to do it when it suits.

Had we done it against Alloa when Liam Burt had the ball, we wouldn’t be in the shambles we currently find ourselves.

Really?

We might have been in a worse shambles - but in a higher league.

No way to tell of course, since we are where  we are.

10 hours ago, rockson said:

Really?

We might have been in a worse shambles - but in a higher league.

No way to tell of course, since we are where  we are.

Having  Brechin-esque season in the Championship is preferable to this fucking shitemare, in just about every way.

It has already been explained to you but I will do so again...

It was not individual decisions that were causing the problem. It was the officiating as a whole that was totally incompetent which left the fans frustrated.

Too many ridiculously easy decisions called totally wrong.

This is what I have come to expect from this level of football.

The standard of officiating is god awful week in week out.

On 04/02/2019 at 08:51, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Back to the actual football...

That is a shocking first goal for us to concede. The throw in is taken quickly and Hutton is standing there with his thumb up his arse and loses his man, then Henk and Ferguson just kind of watch the ball sail over them, Adam makes an absolutely guff attempt at palming the ball away before Carswell comically attempts to stop the rebound going in.

A great equaliser from Barr and a tidy finish from Thomas aside I thought we looked fairly shite, although I'll admit it's hard to judge from highlights. The defence does not look comfortable in the slightest, particularly Ferguson. It's completely baffling to me that Duffy has the option to play them all in a position that is natural to them yet he chooses to play 3 of them out of position.

That pitch looked terrible FWIW and I'm surprised the game went ahead.

I actually think that the second goal we conceded was even worse.

Why on earth is there a HUGE gap in our defensive line that allows 3 airdrie players to run through unnoticed?

Utterly shocking organisation there.

f07c5ec70d3d2fccc654f2d24fc8af5b.png

Archived