Falkirk v Queens

I can remember that too. The season we won the league, they just didn't shut up for the whole game even when we scored, great support

Me too. Sad the things you remember....and now that bloody song is relentlessly going through my head. Aghhh...

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im not argueing with the fact that in the modern day game the ref was unfortunately within his rights to yellow card and then send him off. Im also not simply talking about this one instance in this game. Im just lamenting the fact that its too easy to get yellow cards and therefore too easy to see red these days. Even in the first half the yellow card instances were innocuous at best and perhaps it wouldve been far better in this case if the ref had carded him earlier and then he wouldve realised the ref wasnt going to let anything go and perhaps wouldnt have received a second booking.  I just preferred it in the old days when refs would give u a decent amount of leeway before booking you and then even more leeway before sending you off. Noone really wants to see players sent off for no a lot . Happened for us a few weeks back with harkins although you could argue that he had one awful tackle before he even get booked so at least he did something to merit a yellow. Still was an soft tackle that finally saw him seeing red too. Just my opinion i preferred it when we did everything to keep 11  v 11 and red cards were the ultimate sanction as they are  in the likes of egg chasing.
I see what you are getting at but if you cut back the cards to just serious fouls you are just giving teams licence to foul continuously, slowing or stopping the game with wee niggles that aren't going to get them booked.

2 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I remember QOS fans on the last game of a season sitting in the North Stand and singing *I had a wheelbarrow the wheels they were round for 90 mins without stopping. Drum accompanied it. I still have nightmares about it!

*I had a wheelbarrow, the wheel feel off

16 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Why should the first yellow though require a number of fouls and yet the second only one? Id have rather he had been booked earlier and then given a bit of leeway instead of the way the ref acted. The second yellow is the one that sees u off so id rather refs gave players more leniency with that one.  A decent ref like the ones we used to have wouldve spoken to him and made him very aware he was walking on thin ive.

Under the laws of the game, the 2nd yellow was given for denying a promising attack. That's why it was given, and correctly so. 

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wonder if it's the group I'm referring to. Some highlights from them included an older guy going absolutely apeshit with the lino for not giving an offside decision when Dobbie was about half a yard on side. One of them being shouting at the group of lads down the front for singing songs at the stand behind the goal: he was raging they were singing songs to a bunch of schoolkids. The group of boys in our support were quite clearly schoolboys themselves. And two of them giving Dobbie absolute pelters about how he is a shite player. This happens within every support when a good player doesn't perform again them but these two were veins in the neck raging. No hint of sarcasm in what they were saying, they truly believed it emoji38.png

I think it is.

It was a complete minter to see two grown adults stand up and give the viccies to the Queens fans at the front of your section, who looked to have an average age of about 12.

2 hours ago, Falkirkbairn90 said:

Under the laws of the game, the 2nd yellow was given for denying a promising attack. That's why it was given, and correctly so. 

As i said under the modern day interpretations of the game the ref was within his rights to issue a second yellow. Give me the game i grew up with any day though when best efforts were always made to keep 11 players on the park, tackling was allowed and players didnt fall over at the slightest touch. The modern day game is a patch on the beautiful game i grew up with unfortunately and never will be now.

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

As i said under the modern day interpretations of the game the ref was within his rights to issue a second yellow. Give me the game i grew up with any day though when best efforts were always made to keep 11 players on the park, tackling was allowed and players didnt fall over at the slightest touch. The modern day game is a patch on the beautiful game i grew up with unfortunately and never will be now.

The 'breaking up a promising attack' has been a yellow card for donkeys' years.

9 hours ago, GMBairn said:
17 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:
Im not argueing with the fact that in the modern day game the ref was unfortunately within his rights to yellow card and then send him off. Im also not simply talking about this one instance in this game. Im just lamenting the fact that its too easy to get yellow cards and therefore too easy to see red these days. Even in the first half the yellow card instances were innocuous at best and perhaps it wouldve been far better in this case if the ref had carded him earlier and then he wouldve realised the ref wasnt going to let anything go and perhaps wouldnt have received a second booking.  I just preferred it in the old days when refs would give u a decent amount of leeway before booking you and then even more leeway before sending you off. Noone really wants to see players sent off for no a lot . Happened for us a few weeks back with harkins although you could argue that he had one awful tackle before he even get booked so at least he did something to merit a yellow. Still was an soft tackle that finally saw him seeing red too. Just my opinion i preferred it when we did everything to keep 11  v 11 and red cards were the ultimate sanction as they are  in the likes of egg chasing.

I see what you are getting at but if you cut back the cards to just serious fouls you are just giving teams licence to foul continuously, slowing or stopping the game with wee niggles that aren't going to get them booked.

The game stops far more now with the modern day rules than it ever did though. Refs used to let games flow far more instead of blowing for the slightest physical contact. 

2 hours ago, Falkirkbairn90 said:

That's why I,  and other Queens fans in attendance,  couldn't understand why the Falkirk player (not sure which one )  wasn't booked in the 1st half when he clipped Stirling's heels as he was about to send Dobbie on a clear run in.  Although there were plenty of fouls awarded I don't think there was a malicious tackle in the game.  

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

That's why I,  and other Queens fans in attendance,  couldn't understand why the Falkirk player (not sure which one )  wasn't booked in the 1st half when he clipped Stirling's heels as he was about to send Dobbie on a clear run in.  Although there were plenty of fouls awarded I don't think there was a malicious tackle in the game.  

That was far more promising than the one he got sent off for where there were numerous falkirk players between the queens boy and the goal. Just highlights the constant inconsistancy of referreeing which blights the game. Cant be easy when you havd no idea what you are going to get booked for and what you arent.

That was far more promising than the one he got sent off for where there were numerous falkirk players between the queens boy and the goal. Just highlights the constant inconsistancy of referreeing which blights the game. Cant be easy when you havd no idea what you are going to get booked for and what you arent.
IMO there needs to be more bookings doled put for shirt pulling etc. Not less.

You are not wrong about the standard of refereeimg in Scotland. It is mind bogglingly terrible, but there is no defence for DKD whatsoever. An act of pure stupidity.

24 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Having watched the top flight highlights yesterday, set aside the inconsistencies of what is considered a booking, and look at what that utter clown of a ref Andrew Dallas has done.

With him in charge, no one now has a clue as to what constitutes a penalty kick. He has determined that a foul or handball outside the box, an exaggerated leap into the box and a no contact dive are all grounds for awarding penalty kicks (only in Govan presumably).

Having watched the top flight highlights yesterday, set aside the inconsistencies of what is considered a booking, and look at what that utter clown of a ref Andrew Dallas has done.
With him in charge, no one now has a clue as to what constitutes a penalty kick. He has determined that a foul or handball outside the box, an exaggerated leap into the box and a no contact dive are all grounds for awarding penalty kicks (only in Govan presumably).
Andrew Dallas has been embarrassing on every occassion I have watched him. I havent seen the penalties but even that in itself is pretty unprecedented. Last instance of 4 penalties for 1 side in a game in Scotland?

Coupled to that I will say again I think his inability to control a game and his own emotions leads to a situation where player safety is conpromised. Of course it isnt Dallas fault if someone decides to crunch someone else but when he should be cooling a bubbling atmosphere he makes it worse. He is a dangerously incompetent individual and he is the flagship of whats wrong with refereeing in this country.

The game stops far more now with the modern day rules than it ever did though. Refs used to let games flow far more instead of blowing for the slightest physical contact. 
Did you claim for the penalty when 10 dived in the first half? Did you claim for the freekick for your second goal?

The first obviously wasn't a foul and after watching the highlights I'm still not convinced the Falkirk boy didn't jump into our player as he'd lost the ball.

My point is, you seem to be putting the blame on referees when the players are the problem. They go down far too easily, the fans and players go apeshit wanting the foul, if the ref doesn't award it he's then slated for not giving anything.

I don't disagree with the point you're trying to make but I think it's wrong to suggest it's purely down to the officiating.

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Did you claim for the penalty when 10 dived in the first half? Did you claim for the freekick for your second goal?

The first obviously wasn't a foul and after watching the highlights I'm still not convinced the Falkirk boy didn't jump into our player as he'd lost the ball.

My point is, you seem to be putting the blame on referees when the players are the problem. They go down far too easily, the fans and players go apeshit wanting the foul, if the ref doesn't award it he's then slated for not giving anything.

I don't disagree with the point you're trying to make but I think it's wrong to suggest it's purely down to the officiating.

DKD was pretty animated after the challenge in the box which generally suggests touch was made, obviously you wouldve had a better view further along in the main stand but without seeing it again not much to look back on to revisit. 

You are having a laugh about the free kick for the 2nd goal surely, Stirling was nowhere near the ball and ploughed through Petra. I dont know if you are thinking about a foul either before or after the 2nd goal similar position where it was never a foul which we got but the one for the goal was a foul all day long.

The ref had an easy day on Saturday with only perhaps minor gripes both sets of fans can have if that.

DKD was pretty animated after the challenge in the box which generally suggests touch was made, obviously you wouldve had a better view further along in the main stand but without seeing it again not much to look back on to revisit. 
You are having a laugh about the free kick for the 2nd goal surely, Stirling was nowhere near the ball and ploughed through Petra. I dont know if you are thinking about a foul either before or after the 2nd goal similar position where it was never a foul which we got but the one for the goal was a foul all day long.
The ref had an easy day on Saturday with only perhaps minor gripes both sets of fans can have if that.

It was a dive. I thought it was as much of Petra running through Stirling.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
19 minutes ago, MrDust said:

It was a dive. I thought it was as much of Petra running through Stirling.

I think you can tell a lot from the players reactions in these incidents. For the penalty claim, I remember the Queens player looking pretty sheepish (rather than having a go at DKD for going down too easily) whilst DKD was irate that a penalty wasn't given. I was probably about 80 yards away but it certainly looked like there was contact. I also don't think there were any complaints from Stirling for the foul on Petra before the second goal? Tbf the referee was giving free kicks for pretty much anything on Saturday and handing out cards like confetti - I only really remember one challenge being worthy of a booking, when Paton went through the back of someone quite late on. Needless over-officiating for me 

Archived