Falkirk v Queens

Was really surprised with Dykes as well as usually he ragdolls our defenders about the place but McKenna and Edjenguele, along with Osman, handled him superbly and didn’t let him get a sniff. Second half he seemed to be player a lot deeper more like a number 8 as opposed to a 10.

Couple of things that I forgot to mention earlier were the performances of Dixon and Petravicius. Along with pretty much everyone else I was less than thrilled with Dixon signing but he’s been brilliant so far. Probably would’ve been my MoM as yet again didn’t put a foot wrong.

With Petra I seem to rate him more than most and I just think he brings so much to the team. Aye he’s inconsistent and extremely frustrating and he doesn’t seem to have a lot of game intelligence if that makes sense but he’s got so much pace, decent enough strength and always so positive with the ball and looking to commit defenders. His end product does need to improve and he probably should’ve buried his first half chance but took his goal well and we were really unlucky not to score from a couple of his crosses in the first half.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn’t appreciate it at the time, but Petra’s “see ya” turn at the edge of the box leading to his goal was right up there with the Sibbs turn against DU in the 6-1 mauling.

Sure, there’s still work to do, but the team finally look capable of scoring goals. No individual deserves criticism yesterday. Dixon, Edge and Burgoyne were the best for me. DKD will have hopefully learned a lesson. Just a pity his one game ban isn’t against RC.

Within the season, a six goal swing against QotS is a helluva achievement.

Only Brough, Paton, Petra and Fasan left from last summer, within Fasan the only one virtually guaranteed not to feature again.

Interesting discussion around Petravicius. I thought he caused us problems all afternoon.  Also on a look at the highlights he took the 3rd goal superbly something I hadn't appreciated at the time.. 

Re the red card it was the correct decision. The guy could have had yellows for 4 separate incidents. A really stupid red card to get. Looks a player though.

Some folk will need to get new batteries for their crystal ball.

Good team performance, no failures and you can see the difference in quality of player. Make no mistake this was a huge win,alot of pressure beforehand but team delivered and Mckinnon got it right. This should breed confidence going forward although still tough task ahead. Dixon superb again ( underwhelming signing) the Edge was good ( calamity,donkey etc) Burgoyne can be relied upon. Petras pace troubles defences.Momentum massive at this period of season so hopefully keep building.

10 hours ago, Russ said:

Was really surprised with Dykes as well as usually he ragdolls our defenders about the place but McKenna and Edjenguele, along with Osman, handled him superbly and didn’t let him get a sniff. Second half he seemed to be player a lot deeper more like a number 8 as opposed to a 10.

Couple of things that I forgot to mention earlier were the performances of Dixon and Petravicius. Along with pretty much everyone else I was less than thrilled with Dixon signing but he’s been brilliant so far. Probably would’ve been my MoM as yet again didn’t put a foot wrong.

With Petra I seem to rate him more than most and I just think he brings so much to the team. Aye he’s inconsistent and extremely frustrating and he doesn’t seem to have a lot of game intelligence if that makes sense but he’s got so much pace, decent enough strength and always so positive with the ball and looking to commit defenders. His end product does need to improve and he probably should’ve buried his first half chance but took his goal well and we were really unlucky not to score from a couple of his crosses in the first half.

Yep, i thought Dixon was exactly the kind of uninspiring Houston shit signing we needed to avoid but he's probably been our best player since he signed. Vital now. 

We actually have a spine to our side now (in both senses of the word). Don't think we're hugely different to this time last season, but that's all we need to be to stay up.

My qualms with the red card is more a question of does the punishment really fit the crime in modern day fitba. Back when football was a real game a decent ref wouldve had a word with him as the idea was to try and keep 22 players on the park and keep red cards quite rightly as the ultimate sanction for serious foul play.  Now a days they cant wait to send people off for a couple of very innocuous incidents. We only now say that he deserved to get sent off as we are now conditioned to the modern day way.  I myself preferred the old way as we are paying decent sums now to watch games that are easily ruined by red cards being handed out like confetti .  I'd much rather refs were concentrating on the real bad tackles and using a bit of common sense when it came to the innocuous silly stuff. Lets make every effort tokeep players on the park instead of making every effort to reduce teams to ten.

7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

My qualms with the red card is more a question of does the punishment really fit the crime in modern day fitba. Back when football was a real game a decent ref wouldve had a word with him as the idea was to try and keep 22 players on the park and keep red cards quite rightly as the ultimate sanction for serious foul play.  Now a days they cant wait to send people off for a couple of very innocuous incidents. We only now say that he deserved to get sent off as we are now conditioned to the modern day way.  I myself preferred the old way as we are paying decent sums now to watch games that are easily ruined by red cards being handed out like confetti .  I'd much rather refs were concentrating on the real bad tackles and using a bit of common sense when it came to the innocuous silly stuff. Lets make every effort tokeep players on the park instead of making every effort to reduce teams to ten.

Love to see us return to cowpin' keepers as well

15 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The second yellow was certainly merited and very very silly considering he'd been booked just minutes before. The 1st one however was something you see in a lot of matches without being penalised. It's not like he's booted the thing out of the park or was stopping an opposition player from playing the ball. 

I felt the ref was handing out unnecessary bookings during the 2nd half. I suppose it's something we nee to get used to though now that the game's turned into a non contact sport.

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

The second yellow was certainly merited and very very silly considering he'd been booked just minutes before. The 1st one however was something you see in a lot of matches without being penalised. It's not like he's booted the thing out of the park or was stopping an opposition player from playing the ball. 

I felt the ref was handing out unnecessary bookings during the 2nd half. I suppose it's something we nee to get used to though now that the game's turned into a non contact sport.

Yep a stupid 2nd yellow given he`d just been booked. He could easily have been booked in 1st half for simulation or for pulling back Kyle Jacobs to stop us breaking to be fair though.

As said earlier he looks a player.

15 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Or in Morten’s case, a non contract sport.

19 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Looked pretty soft on the highlights. Certainly not a leg breaker or scything tackle. More a pull or tug.

He should have been off before it finally happened, so to suggest the ref couldn't wait to send him off is incredible and couldn't be further from the truth yesterday.

As DD already said, he dived in the first half which should have been a yellow and he then hauled back Jacobs when we were breaking which was as clear a yellow as you're likely to get. I'm positive he had another one go unpunished but I can't remember the incident now. Even if the first one was harsh, anyone watching his incidents form a neutral point of view yesterday would agree he thoroughly deserved to be sent off.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Looked pretty soft on the highlights. Certainly not a leg breaker or scything tackle. More a pull or tug.

Aye, he was holding the guy trying to stop him moving forward. Again, the kind of thing that would go unpunished a lot of the time. Still a daft thing to do though given the circumstances.

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, he was holding the guy trying to stop him moving forward. Again, the kind of thing that would go unpunished a lot of the time. Still a daft thing to do though given the circumstances.

The main thing for me is that the ref treats each team equally.  Quiet word in the ear and lets get on with it. Lets try our utmost to keep it 11 v 11 and save the red cards for leg breakers or serious foul play. Yeah if he does it again after youve told him its his last warning then sure send him off. 

He had been persistently fouling all game. Innocuous they may have been, but had been tallying up. So he deservedly, eventually saw yellow.
To then do it again, within a minute, was asking for a second.
Whether Ray had enough time to get him off, is neither here nor there; but he was pretty central to everything we were doing, up till then.

9 minutes ago, kiddy said:

He had been persistently fouling all game. Innocuous they may have been, but had been tallying up. So he deservedly, eventually saw yellow.
To then do it again, within a minute, was asking for a second.
Whether Ray had enough time to get him off, is neither here nor there; but he was pretty central to everything we were doing, up till then.

Why should the first yellow though require a number of fouls and yet the second only one? Id have rather he had been booked earlier and then given a bit of leeway instead of the way the ref acted. The second yellow is the one that sees u off so id rather refs gave players more leniency with that one.  A decent ref like the ones we used to have wouldve spoken to him and made him very aware he was walking on thin ive.

Archived