Celtic v St Johnstone/ St Johnstone v Celtic

A double header with the Saintees coming up this week, we dished out an unexpected but comprehensive pumping 6-0, in our only previous league meeting in October in what was our finest domestic display of the season. 

Tommy Wright's side have blown hot and cold this season, equally capable of beating the top sides and losing to the strugglers, with that in mind and considering how equally inconsistent we have been as well to an extent, taking six points from both games, no matter how pretty or ugly the performances may be will be most welcome, especially with Kilmarnock and Aberdeen close behind in the title race. 

2-0 in Glasgow and 2-1 in Perth to the auld leather belts. 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Tommy Wright's side have blown hot and cold this season, equally capable of beating the top sides and losing to the strugglers...

Not really to be fair this season. Our record against the teams below is is strong (10 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss) but we've not taken much from those above us (1 win, 3 draw, 6 defeats).

With that in mind, roll on a week in Monday.

Since Rodgers came in we've got little crumbs of joy against Celtic but he makes sure it doesn't happen again, e.g. playing two full backs on the right nullified Tierney and Sinclair at Celtic Park last August, so Rodgers got Sinclair to drift far more inside when the teams met next and it killed us as we'd tried the same again.

We hadn't tried a back three against Celtic and wondered if we might with three games coming up but it would be a very brave call after yesterday. Equally, we can't just play all our attacking players after what happened in October.

No idea what the team will be, especially with the, as mentioned, triple-header to consider and very much travelling in hope rather than expectation.

Will we get a lights show?

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Hopefully Eddie is back to mix it up a bit for the hoofball double.  Can see Bain being tested more with his aerial command of the box which I do have question marks over.

After Boyata got that stupid red card in the last minute of the League Cup game at McDiarmid, Bain almost gave us an extra time period to contend with 10 men by coming out for and getting nowhere near an injury time hoof into the box, thankfully the St Johnstone player made a similar balls up of his free header at an open goal, to be fair I can't recall any other errors or noticeable ones by Scott Bain in the matches he has had so, barring injury he should, by rights retain the gloves. 

10 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

After Boyata got that stupid red card in the last minute of the League Cup game at McDiarmid, Bain almost gave us an extra time period to contend with 10 men by coming out for and getting nowhere near an injury time hoof into the box, thankfully the St Johnstone player made a similar balls up of his free header at an open goal, to be fair I can't recall any other errors or noticeable ones by Scott Bain in the matches he has had so, barring injury he should, by rights retain the gloves. 

Aye I can remember that heart in mouth moment very well. I do believe he has earned his chance as like you say he has done little wrong when stepping in and we do seem way more slicker when we start out from the back. He just doesnt seem massively imposing when balls come in in the air but hopefully this is a decent test for him. Either way you just know his rise since joining us has pissed off the Dundee roasters on here so he should be given the jersey for that reason alone imo.

Really hard to know or predict how we'll set up for this.  Tommy usually learns from mistakes and gets the team to bounce back after a poor showing, but it could be a tall order if Celtic are on form.

Obviously we have to set up to be solid, but I always think you have to give Celtic something to worry about or you spend the whole match camped in your own box awaiting the inevitable.

I don't think Watt will start as I don't think he's been massively effective against the better teams. Could be either Kennedy or MOH on their own to provide a threat in behind and the ability to run at defenders. Kennedy did a great job against Rangers in that role, and O'Halloran often turned up on the bigger occasions for us.

A midfield 3 of Callachan, Davidson and Craig sounds quite strong on paper, but has been fairly poor in the past couple of games, so maybe Alston in there would be worth a shot?  

Swanson looked lively yesterday, and if we were playing anyone else I'd have him starting.

A point or three here would be a massive bonus, but in reality a big improvement on yesterday, and the avoidance of a humping might be as good as it gets.

Clark

Foster Kerr Shaughnessy Tanser

O'Halloran Davidson Craig Wotherspoon

Alston

Kennedy

As I said, I really have no idea the best set up, nor what the manager will choose, so will just have to wait and see.

45 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Killie fans all over a Celtic thread yet again. This is despite them plummeting to 3rd place.

Yeah we are in 3rd place, 3points behind your lot. You should change your arrogance for embarrassment that your club has a £50m wage bill and can only get 3 points above a club with a wage bill of under £2m. You and your delusional fans need to realise there a re 4 teams in this race ( actually 3 teams and Sevco ) one will succeed 3 will not, your club could be one of the three. A long shot granted, but strange things happen. Football is cyclical your team will fail eventually and before the much talked about 10 in a row. Arrogance leads to complacency and this trait you guys have in abundance.

2 minutes ago, KTID26 said:

Yeah we are in 3rd place, 3points behind your lot. You should change your arrogance for embarrassment that your club has a £50m wage bill and can only get 3 points above a club with a wage bill of under £2m. You and your delusional fans need to realise there a re 4 teams in this race ( actually 3 teams and Sevco ) one will succeed 3 will not, your club could be one of the three. A long shot granted, but strange things happen. Football is cyclical your team will fail eventually and before the much talked about 10 in a row. Arrogance leads to complacency and this trait you guys have in abundance.

Wow, for someone who's team is having one of their best league campaigns in decades that is one serious amount of rage, borderline heads gone.

1 minute ago, Flybhoy said:

Wow, for someone who's team is having one of their best league campaigns in decades that is one serious amount of rage, borderline heads gone.

Not at all just the simple truth. I say simple as it makes it easier for you to under stand. 

Guest Moomintroll
If this was a game of football manager my manager would be going on holiday for the next two weeks 
If Billy Dodds was your assistant manager, you would win both games.

Parklife....!!

1 hour ago, KTID26 said:

Hiya Gordon Sawyers! Hiya pal!

Archived