What is lesmahagow like?

towser

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks a bit shite tbh.
https://goo.gl/maps/YBG6ia1KU7G2
Speaking of that part of the world, I just came off jury duty for a grim case in the lovely Lanark farming community. Rape, harassment, stalking and assault over years, and his friends in the community seemed disinclined to speak out against the p***k. Dumb hicks.

In essence, that is the script of ‘Straw Dogs’........[emoji50]

Despite spending my entire childhood living less than 10 miles away from Lesmahagow, I can confidently state I have never once been there in all my days drawing breath. Have I missed out? Has Lesmahagow?

Billy’s Electrical
Charlie’s Barbers
Audrey’s Coffees

Very ‘local shop for local people’..............
And don’t forget The Masons Arms Hotel for those who enjoy a wee SashBash on a Setterday nicht..........
🤪

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Billy’s Electrical
Charlie’s Barbers
Audrey’s Coffees

Very ‘local shop for local people’..............
And don’t forget The Masons Arms Hotel for those who enjoy a wee SashBash on a Setterday nicht..........

What, no Starbucks or Currys? How do they survive?

Went to high school there without any major detrimental effects. Depends where you're looking, as previously mentioned it's kinda split into 2 halves, old town and 'new' town. Old half can be your idyllic country village with some pretty impressive properties for the price you pay. The other half can be a bit of a depressing inbred shithole. The town itself has quite a rich history and certainly a lot more character than other commuter belt towns that have been thrown up purely as a place to house commuters. No rail link or direct public transport link to Glasgow would put me off buying there, but again depends what you're looking for.

Went to high school there without any major detrimental effects. Depends where you're looking, as previously mentioned it's kinda split into 2 halves, old town and 'new' town. Old half can be your idyllic country village with some pretty impressive properties for the price you pay. The other half can be a bit of a depressing inbred shithole. The town itself has quite a rich history and certainly a lot more character than other commuter belt towns that have been thrown up purely as a place to house commuters. No rail link or direct public transport link to Glasgow would put me off buying there, but again depends what you're looking for.
X74 City link goes to Glasgow and Dumfries every hour.

You will be regarded as an “incomer” even after having lived there 30 years.

The only interests any of the locals have are serial shagging, Rangers and horse racing.

Great sense of community though, old school. Same with local areas- coalburn, kirkmuirhill etc

Have their own language as well “seek” “seeevein” “yer ein”, “the skull” “the bools”

If you replaced horse racing with stock car racing and added yahoorsir to the language then you’ve basically described Cowdenbeath.

Several years ago now, but I used to use the bus service between Glasgow and Dumfries very regularly.

Lesmahagow was one of the stops. I hardly ever saw anyone get on or off, and the detour added a good 15 mins to the journey, which started the place off in the bad light for me. But on top of that the place looked pretty depressing and run down, and Union Jacks and various other bits of orange walk type paraphernalia were quite prominent in people's gardens, tied to lampposts, etc.

I had it down as one of my top five in the worst towns in Scotland thread a couple of weeks back.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been there once to watch Kilsyth play against the local team. Nedless to see, for a junior game, it was a bit robust and a Kilsyth player got sent off for a bit of fisticuffs. Blood was drawn I seem to remember.

The poor Kilsyth player was attacked by a local OAP (probably about 45) who had some kind of spike on the end of his walking stick. I've never been back.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived