Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Beaver The Bairn

Reciprocal love

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Beaver The Bairn said:

 

Have you ever stopped going to watch your team? What you made you stop? Love? Kids? Life? Death?

 

What made you go back? What changed and why?

 

Yeah. I had a spell out. The disgusting shafting of McCalls league winning side and my discovery of alcohol made me a bit part supporter for a long time. 

 

What made me go back..... Well I was always a fan but whenever I went back I felt it all flood back each time. I guess when I got with Mrs B and the weekends bevvying with mates sunsided the football took over again. Its back to being well up there for me. I am glad it is. Wish I had never fallen away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think the thread title entirely makes sense but a decent idea for a thread.

I've stopped  a couple of times. One was  during the Davie Hay disaster season in 04/05 because my Dad always took me to games and his dad was suffering from cancer and we went to visit him on Saturdays instead.

The other was 7th in League One after New Year because I couldn't bear to watch us under Potter. I remember a game at Forthbank where we needed a last-gasp Lewis Martin goal to get a point and it was fucking disgustingly bad. I look at the results towards the end of the season and I have absolutely no memory of even seeing them on Soccer Saturday so clearly my brain has just repressed it entirely.

Worryingly, that season reminds me a lot of this one where the manager who stayed on too long eventually leaves but the replacement is so much worse. Please let Crawford make me look an idiot for posting that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During late teenage years, decided it wasn't cool. Just went to ten or so games a season.

Around 2000. 

Could never think about supporting another team or stop going completely. If we are playing badly I try to appreciate opposition players.

Happens quite often.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped for a while in the middle of out top flight seasons, just purely down to spells of being unemployed and then in a barely minimum wage job where I just couldn't afford to go. I'd still go when I could afford it, which wasn't often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Don't think the thread title entirely makes sense but a decent idea for a thread.

I've stopped  a couple of times. One was  during the Davie Hay disaster season in 04/05 because my Dad always took me to games and his dad was suffering from cancer and we went to visit him on Saturdays instead.

The other was 7th in League One after New Year because I couldn't bear to watch us under Potter. I remember a game at Forthbank where we needed a last-gasp Lewis Martin goal to get a point and it was fucking disgustingly bad. I look at the results towards the end of the season and I have absolutely no memory of even seeing them on Soccer Saturday so clearly my brain has just repressed it entirely.

Worryingly, that season reminds me a lot of this one where the manager who stayed on too long eventually leaves but the replacement is so much worse. Please let Crawford make me look an idiot for posting that.

 

I remember being absolutely seething when we lost 5-1 down at Stranraer.

I had 4-1 on my coupon for a return of £200 odd quid for a fiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fell away from going to Ayr games whe I met my wife started to go again when we went up 2 seasons ago and have totally got the bug again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up an East Fife fan - inevitable given I lived in Aberhill right next to Bayview. Mind you, I rarely saw full games. At half time they used to open the gates and kids just walked in free. When I joined the navy I moved away and kinda lost interest. For years East Fife were just a nothing club and it was that lack of ambition that scunnered any feelings I might have for them.

In the 25 years or so in between I moved around a lot and never settled in one place long enough to bother going to games until  in 2009 I was living in Larbert and wandered down to the TFS. I was hooked again and now can't imagine missing a home game (I've missed one in that time against Dundee - the wife and I were having a stand up argument and I was loathe to leave half way through).

I think I'm a jinx though. Since I started following the Bairns they've gone from silky Premiership football and Europe to the bottom of the Championship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was down south for a spell and my visits were few and far between. Moved back up around 15 years ago and have been going when I can ever since. 

It literally is an addiction now. I'll be going till the day I die

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been to the Recs all season as I work Saturdays now  :(

I miss seeing the team play, but we have excellent highlights now, and they're doing well enough without me growing stomach ulcers on the sidelines. Plus, so long as I keep up my season ticket, it feels like I'm doing the important bit. Bit shit, but that's life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

I grew up an East Fife fan - inevitable given I lived in Aberhill right next to Bayview. Mind you, I rarely saw full games. At half time they used to open the gates and kids just walked in free. When I joined the navy I moved away and kinda lost interest. For years East Fife were just a nothing club and it was that lack of ambition that scunnered any feelings I might have for them.

In the 25 years or so in between I moved around a lot and never settled in one place long enough to bother going to games until  in 2009 I was living in Larbert and wandered down to the TFS. I was hooked again and now can't imagine missing a home game (I've missed one in that time against Dundee - the wife and I were having a stand up argument and I was loathe to leave half way through).

I think I'm a jinx though. Since I started following the Bairns they've gone from silky Premiership football and Europe to the bottom of the Championship. 

Keep up the good work 006.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Was down south for a spell and my visits were few and far between. Moved back up around 15 years ago and have been going when I can ever since. 

It literally is an addiction now. I'll be going till the day I die

Almost exactly my experience! Missed almost all of the Dalziel/Barr years, returned during the reign of the two Rabs. Lucky enough to have been involved tangentially ever since. Long may it last. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stopped going as a teenager after a relegation 04/05 season up to about midway through the 07/08 season.  

I missed very few games until this season with 3 of the seasons where I managed every game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fell out of the habit in my mid teens for a couple of years, but sadly, that was a long time ago.  

I lived away from Dumfries for around a decade as a young man, but always went to games when back, and also watched plenty of football in the places I lived in.

I've been a regular again for about twenty years now though.  I can't really see that changing, hopefully for a long while.

I do however think that relationship should in fact be reciprocal and it was altered a bit by the way Queens voted regarding Rangers.  I toyed with boycotting, but didn't have the resolve and concluded that it would do me a Hell of a lot more harm than the club.  I do have a clause though that means I don't feel some sort of dutiful obligation to go to games if it doesn't actually suit.  I invoked it recently for the game in terrible weather against Dunfermline before Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Followed home and away since about 8 years old.

Then, during our so called glory years under Barr and Gordon Dalziel, hardly went to a game.

Missed out on our cup final and semi final season.

Regret it now.

Back on board again for the shit shows and the highs and lows after that.

Just went to a game and was hooked again straight away.

The love never leaves your heart.

Even when not physically there.

Walking into Somerset with the music playing, the players warming up, it is like nothing else on earth to me, unique, magical, call it what you want.

Once it gets you, you are a slave to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to every game home and away for about 7 years during the Barr/Dalziel era, but lost interest for a few years after that for various reasons. 

I started coming back again infrequently during Reids tenure and have been to most games since McCall has been in charge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First game aged eleven with my first love: Spurs v Leeds last day of 1975 season with us needing to beat the then League Champs to stay up. Regular at White Hart Lane thereafter until around 1980 when I just got fed up with the violence surrounding English football. Going to Uni at Cardiff didn't do anything to bring me back - both the English-bashing in South Wales at the time and Cardiff City fans being utter scum was a lethal cocktail.

Stayed away until 1991 when I moved back to London and had a season ticket most years (apart from when working abroad for a couple of years) until I  met the  current Mrs Yid, moved up to Scotland and started following her team, Ayr United, from around the back end of the 2006 season. Now make around 35 games a year home and away including Cups so the addiction is strong. Mrs Yid's gap from footy is even longer - resumed 2006 after a gap of over 25 years! But then she was living in England most of that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been going to Falkirk games for about 35 years now. there have definitely been peaks and troughs. in my late teens went home and away with mates when we learnt to drive. went on the singing areas. at university i missed a lot of games. then in my twenties and thirties with my brother and dad in hope street and the main stand. in my forties my dad and brother stopped going (disillusioned with pressley era and never went back) my kids started going. my eldest stopped going this season and my youngest might stop next season. I might stop buying season tickets and go to games on my own when I can. I like the social aspect of it so it's hard when folks you've been going with a long time stop so for me that was mates, then dad and brother then kids.

the games have created many happy memories but other commitments getting in the way again.

scottish football in general puts me off the way it's been run and I try to support falkirk despite it. the way we were treated 're brockville, the capacity, the pitch etc. the way the old firm dominate.

I think it's no coincidence that my best memories were under McCall and Jefferies when we attacked with flair. the game has become so sanitised with all the largs type coaching now I yearn for characters like latapy yogi stainrod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...