Hearts v St Johnstone, 26/01/19

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Hearts had kept their players fit and Levein didn't needlessly tinker at times, you wonder how good this season could have been for them? You can see that Naismith lifts everyone around him but really was impressed by all their players yesterday. 

Bozanic, Lee and especially Djoum absolutely bossed our midfield; they were quicker, more aggressive, better on the ball and moved a lot better. It pinned us back and meant Godinho and Mulraney were effectively wingers rather than wing backs. Berra and Souttar barely broke sweat, leaving Smith as a spare man, he had his pipe and slippers out. Naismith knitted the whole thing together and was very hard to pick up. 

I think tactics did have a part to play but the focus on our manager lets the players off the hook, they have to be better than that. They wanted too much time on the ball then couldn't pass it when they did get the opportunity. Unlike the fluency that Hearts had, there was no joined up thinking. 

The next week and a bit will be embarrassing if we replicate yesterday but the four months that went before hopefully suggest it was just one bad day at the office. 

21 minutes ago, Radford said:

I think tactics did have a part to play but the focus on our manager lets the players off the hook, they have to be better than that. They wanted too much time on the ball then couldn't pass it when they did get the opportunity. Unlike the fluency that Hearts had, there was no joined up thinking. 

The next week and a bit will be embarrassing if we replicate yesterday but the four months that went before hopefully suggest it was just one bad day at the office. 

We've not played well since the Winter Break. No idea whether it's just a lack of sharpness or whatever, but that's three games now where it feels like theres been more slack passes than anything else. Fosters pass to Clark that went out for a corner probably a perfect example.

As you say, it's a huge worry that we'll just continuously give Celtic the ball over our upcoming "triple header", and they seem to have found their groove again.

The break came at the wrong time for saints without a doubt. Given how slowly we started the season, it’s almost like the same thing has happened again and we need something to kick start our form. Hopefully that isn’t a tanking off Celtic.

If Hearts had kept their players fit and Levein didn't needlessly tinker at times, you wonder how good this season could have been for them? You can see that Naismith lifts everyone around him but really was impressed by all their players yesterday. 
Bozanic, Lee and especially Djoum absolutely bossed our midfield; they were quicker, more aggressive, better on the ball and moved a lot better. It pinned us back and meant Godinho and Mulraney were effectively wingers rather than wing backs. Berra and Souttar barely broke sweat, leaving Smith as a spare man, he had his pipe and slippers out. Naismith knitted the whole thing together and was very hard to pick up. 

Bang on. A plan can only be as good as it’s execution

With both teams setting up with similar plans it was going to be down to how well the plans were actually executed

Someone earlier described Hearts as playing 3-5-2 and they were right but if Mulraney and Godinho had come off worse in their battles against their opposite numbers then we’d have effectively been 5-3-2 and people would be calling “Avril” a numpty for playing Mulraney at full back and hailing Tommy Wright for outwitting him.

To be fair to Wright not many Hearts fans looking at the line ups expected much from Mulraney or Godinho either

9 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I’m guessing you left early

You finished by committing people forward and letting Callum Morrison score

A risk worth taking at 1-0 down but no way to start proceedings

Aye but  we wouldn't have been as rash going forward straight from the start. Mikey and Danny came on with the sole purpose of stretching the game, nothing can legislate for Foster being done the way he was by Naismith.

Naismith was the best player on the park by the way.

If St. Johnstone had a go at us from the start I have no doubts that would have had us. Going to a back three when they have the attacking options they did, seemed like a weird decision from Tommy Wright IMO.

We were 6.5/10 ourselves tbqh. I'm glad that Mulraney had a solid game, if not for any other reason than to shut up the torn faced c***s that moaning about everything from his crosses (which were actually pretty good), to losing the heid at Godinho being substituted before a corner kick because he picked up a knock, and "you should never take a man off before a corner", which is sound logic defending with 10 fit players rather than 11.

I don't mind Bozanic, but he only passes sideways or backwards, meaning he'll rarely come across better than a 7/10 performer for me. The problem is that aside from Haring, nobody else sits as deep in CM as he does.

I don't really understand the logic of changing a defence that had kept 11 clean sheets out of the previous 14 matches. I know it was adding an extra body in and not removing any of the composite parts, but that surely just unsettles things at the back.

Clearly a rotten day for us on Saturday and it's not likely to get much better with 3 matches against Celtic in the space of 11 days coming up, with a midweek jaunt to Accies in the middle of all that!

Archived