Aberdeen v Killie 26/1/19

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Dont really get this. Theres plenty players who have played for Rangers but theres no real reason to single out Boyd given how dogshit he was always against us. He is just one of a number of Scottish strikers like Oconnor,Riordan etc who were happy to be taking a wage rather than kicking on. He never bothered me much until he was given more and more air time where you can tell after 5 minutes listening he is perhaps not the full shilling like the others I mentioned. 

I don't understand this depiction of Boyd as some sort of waster. He is a guy who has never really had a huge amount of all-round footballing ability beyond his instinct to get into the right place to put the ball into the net. Despite that, he has scored over 200 top flight goals (one of just four guys to do that since WWII), played a decent number of game for his country and played in a European final. He tested himself in England and was also willing to move abroad to two different countries, where he played in the top flight.

He was able to reinvent his game on his first return to Killie, where he started to do a lot more work outside the box, and basically single-handedly dragged us to safety, and then last season under Clarke he was able to perform effectively in a press and finished as top scorer in the league at the age of 34. Meanwhile, he has also planned for his post-football life by building himself a media career on the side and getting involved in coaching.

I don't think he's done too badly in terms of squeezing the absolute maximum out of the limited natural talent he has as a footballer. I'm not sure what else people would have been expecting from him.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I don't understand this depiction of Boyd as some sort of waster. He is a guy who has never really had a huge amount of all-round footballing ability beyond his instinct to get into the right place to put the ball into the net. Despite that, he has scored over 200 top flight goals (one of just four guys to do that since WWII), played a decent number of game for his country and played in a European final. He tested himself in England and was also willing to move abroad to two different countries, where he played in the top flight.

He was able to reinvent his game on his first return to Killie, where he started to do a lot more work outside the box, and basically single-handedly dragged us to safety, and then last season under Clarke he was able to perform effectively in a press and finished as top scorer in the league at the age of 34. Meanwhile, he has also planned for his post-football life by building himself a media career on the side and getting involved in coaching.

I don't think he's done too badly in terms of squeezing the absolute maximum out of the limited natural talent he has as a footballer. I'm not sure what else people would have been expecting from him.

I didnt say he was a waster just hasn't kicked on. He clearly has never been the fittest but he never wanted to be, this bollocks about  getting the maximum out of limited natural talent doesn’t fly. Perhaps 25 years ago where most  top teams had a poacher type player in a 442 system he would have achieved more and less was expected of footballers to be athletes he would have done better. He’s still had a great career but deep down he will know if he pushed harder he would have gone further in England and perhaps in Europe. I really hope he takes to coaching, as he's going down the John Hartson route of media commentary by being controversial for the sake of it and not really having the intelligence to back his statements up. 

2 hours ago, bpdon said:

emoji23.png does a serious injury immediately seal your eyes closed and zone you out from the world 1 meter from your head? When did the extent of an injury dictate the colour of a card for the culprit anyway? It was a bad tackle and far from the most controversial red card we have seen.  

Plus, if you are insinuating that Shinnie made the most of the challenge, then I presume you are equally enraged by the 70-90mins of theatrics from Brophy and Tshibola? 

So what serious injury did he sustain? 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

100% spot on.  For anyone to group Boyd in with Riordan, O'Connor etc is laughable.

23 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I didnt say he was a waster just hasn't kicked on. He clearly has never been the fittest but he never wanted to be, this bollocks about  getting the maximum out of limited natural talent doesn’t fly. Perhaps 25 years ago where most  top teams had a poacher type player in a 442 system he would have achieved more and less was expected of footballers to be athletes he would have done better. He’s still had a great career but deep down he will know if he pushed harder he would have gone further in England and perhaps in Europe. I really hope he takes to coaching, as he's going down the John Hartson route of media commentary by being controversial for the sake of it and not really having the intelligence to back his statements up. 

Would you say the same about Hartson?

As a player I mean.

2 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Would you say the same about Hartson?

As a player I mean.

To be honest probably yeah. I know he didnt retire that long ago but if he was in todays era he would probably be languishing mainly about the English championship.

Just now, gannonball said:

To be honest probably yeah. I know he didnt retire that long ago but if he was in todays era he would probably be languishing mainly about the English championship.

Fair enough.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

100% spot on.  For anyone to group Boyd in with Riordan, O'Connor etc is laughable.

I get why the currants and Killie fans think Boyd is wonderful .

For many other fans, his lack of commitment to the national team stands out. He was part of the arrogant wee cabal at Ibrox that decided they were bigger than Scotland.

Given his undoubted goalscoring talent, only 18 international caps is a joke. I suppose that what's people mean when they criticise Boyd. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

For many other fans, his lack of commitment to the national team stands out. He was part of the arrogant wee cabal at Ibrox that decided they were bigger than Scotland.

Given his undoubted goalscoring talent, only 18 international caps is a joke. I suppose that what's people mean when they criticise Boyd. 

I haven't noticed much criticism of all the call off's/excuse makers under McLeish.....

The reason most despise him is because of his goal scoring record, take last season for example, he embarrassed most clubs fans, they couldn't get their heads around how a 33/34 year old, washed up (allegedly) & imobile striker, could show up their defences and finish top scorer in the league.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

No doubt about that.  I would argue that the earlier part of his career he missed out on caps because he played for wee Kilmarnock, whereas the latter part was because of his own attitude.

I get why Aberdeen, Celtic and everyone elses fans don't like Boyd but, when you compare his record to someone like Adam Rooney (an Aberdeen hero I assume) it reads very well.  Rooney has 110 goals in 253 games in Scotland, Boyd has played 472 games and has 224 goals.   If Boyd has wasted his talent then I assume Rooney has wasted his as well?

So what serious injury did he sustain? 

Ehh he wasn’t. You posted a picture of Shinnie holding his ankle whilst watching the ref fire a red in Boyd’s coupon. I assumed you were seething because he was fit enough to keep his eyes open and watch the laughing pie man get his marching orders.

Anyways. Back to my question to check your consistency..... Brophy and Tshibola are precious flowers ehh?

I’ve not got much of an issue with Boyd on the pitch. I pretty much agree with what Craig’s said above. His natural talent is nowhere near a Riordan/O’Connor/Griffiths, who perhaps could/should have done more with the right attitude and support in place. Boyd’s had an excellent career, and should be proud of it. His style of play never really translated to the Scotland team where the team is likely to be an underdog most matches, therefore the few caps.

I think he was unlucky to be sent off yesterday too, it was a nasty tackle but as Derek’s said, probably just a booking would have done. Shinnie’s taken a sore one mind, so I don’t think his reaction is uncalled for in the slightest. I’d have been doing the same.

Boyd’s media work does piss me off a bit however. A lot of it is just laziness. He’s part of that awful Sky Sports thing with Kris Commons, he’s constantly bleating on about Rangers, and in general I find I disagree with him more than I don’t. He’s entitled to have an opinion which I disagree with sure, but when he’s still playing it opens him up to direct criticism from fans.

Back to the game, I’m pleased watching the highlights back that Killie didn’t have any chances shown. At all. Our defence is brilliant right now, and it’s a fantastic place to start. We’re obviously introducing a new player up front and that’ll take time. Killie IMO are better than Rangers, and I wouldn’t be gutted by a 0-0 with them at home, so I’m not overly fussed about this one. Let’s give that front four more time to gel in the next couple of weeks. Same again v Stenny pls.

7 hours ago, bpdon said:

emoji23.png does a serious injury immediately seal your eyes closed and zone you out from the world 1 meter from your head? When did the extent of an injury dictate the colour of a card for the culprit anyway? It was a bad tackle and far from the most controversial red card we have seen.  

Plus, if you are insinuating that Shinnie made the most of the challenge, then I presume you are equally enraged by the 70-90mins of theatrics from Brophy and Tshibola? 

you forgot o donnel.

Tshibola was hilarious though.

I’ve not got much of an issue with Boyd on the pitch. I pretty much agree with what Craig’s said above. His natural talent is nowhere near a Riordan/O’Connor/Griffiths, who perhaps could/should have done more with the right attitude and support in place. Boyd’s had an excellent career, and should be proud of it. His style of play never really translated to the Scotland team where the team is likely to be an underdog most matches, therefore the few caps.

I think he was unlucky to be sent off yesterday too, it was a nasty tackle but as Derek’s said, probably just a booking would have done. Shinnie’s taken a sore one mind, so I don’t think his reaction is uncalled for in the slightest. I’d have been doing the same.

Boyd’s media work does piss me off a bit however. A lot of it is just laziness. He’s part of that awful Sky Sports thing with Kris Commons, he’s constantly bleating on about Rangers, and in general I find I disagree with him more than I don’t. He’s entitled to have an opinion which I disagree with sure, but when he’s still playing it opens him up to direct criticism from fans.

Back to the game, I’m pleased watching the highlights back that Killie didn’t have any chances shown. At all. Our defence is brilliant right now, and it’s a fantastic place to start. We’re obviously introducing a new player up front and that’ll take time. Killie IMO are better than Rangers, and I wouldn’t be gutted by a 0-0 with them at home, so I’m not overly fussed about this one. Let’s give that front four more time to gel in the next couple of weeks. Same again v Stenny pls.

He’s actually not a bad pundit when he abandons his tabloid act of trolling Aberdeen and Celtic fans.

His trolling articles have got so ridiculous, certainly towards us, that I now find them more funny than annoying. I do find it baffling that he seems to have such a problem with us.

I don’t have any problem with him as a player, decent goal scorer but like others, I don’t think he ever lived up to his potential.

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not having that. It was the guys ambition to play for Rangers, rather than a dream. If he'd put in more of an effort to better himself there then he would have played at a much higher level. Instead he got lazy and coasted by scoring goals at level he should have only played another couple of seasons at.

Can't believe the lather that an ageing centre forward has you boys in.

Aberdeen fans more bothered about Kilmarnock's performance than Kilmarnock fans tho....nice to know you care lads.

Someone close this thread, burn it, and fire the ashes into space.

I'm not having that. It was the guys ambition to play for Rangers, rather than a dream. If he'd put in more of an effort to better himself there then he would have played at a much higher level. Instead he got lazy and coasted by scoring goals at level he should have only played another couple of seasons at.
He was only there for 4 years and then he moved to England when he was still only 26/27. It didn't work out for him in England, but he definitely tried.

You could easily make the same argument about Shinnie. He moved on from Inverness to Aberdeen but hasn't kicked on to play at a higher level despite potentially being good enough to do so.

Archived