Albion Rovers v Stirling Albion

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

In the office in Coatbridge today, looking around this area of the town and knowing Cliftonhill as I do, I'm guessing Saturday's game will be in doubt if this frost continues?

There's covers down and the forecast for Friday is 8c so should have a chance.

4 hours ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

There's covers down and the forecast for Friday is 8c so should have a chance.

Hopefully the game goes ahead on Saturday rather then it being called off.  If on expect the game will be difficult for us and hopefully a better performance than last Saturday when to be quite truthful we did not deserve a point apart from the first 20 mins or so we were awful against Queens Park. 

Last time at Cliftonhill we were soundly beaten 3-0 and that still is Albion Rovers only victory this season in the League.  Would be quite happy with a share of the points but with the players we have hopefully we can come away with all 3points this Saturday.  Players need to step up and make up for the awful performance against Queens Park and a victory over the bottom club on Saturday would go a long way to make up for the performance against Queens. 

Prediction Albion Rovers 1 Albion 1        hope to be proved wrong at 4.50pm on Saturday and all 3 point are heading up the M80 to Stirling.   :)

We should be winning this game, we also need to be winning it for that final play off place. We are vastly improved since that last game at Cliftonhill.

Hopefully we start Mackin with Daz and Jardine wide of him.

It`s always that shaded bit in front of the stand thats the problem. 

That's the bit that has been covered the rest of the park gets the sun all day so shouldn't be a problem as long as the sun comes out.

However a dusting of snow yesterday which started to melt only for it to them freeze over makes me Think it will be off

We should be winning this game, we also need to be winning it for that final play off place. We are vastly improved since that last game at Cliftonhill.

Hopefully we start Mackin with Daz and Jardine wide of him.

Agree we should be winning this game, but after the performance last week don’t think we should be as confident of getting the points.

Don’t think Mackin will stat heard he is carrying an injury and can’t last the 90 mins, so another place on the bench seems to be the best we can hope for.

Should be an interesting game. Stirling have improved since their last visit and pucked up some useful points while Rovers performances have improved of late we can't buy a win.

I will make the bold prediction that whichever team scores first will go on to win.

Oh dear.  That stupid sending off really did Rovers in.  Pleased for us, but feel really sorry for them.   Loads of effort. Try to play football, but look short on experienced players  in a very young side.  Will keep my fingers crossed for their survival.

Great result for us today, turning point was the sending off until then both teams were pretty evenly matched. Went 1-0 up at halftime and in the 2nd half took control and scored another 4 goals. Hattrick for Peaso, 1 each for Smith and Mackin from penalty near the end. 

Up to 5th spot in the League, behind Annan who are 6 points ahead of us but we have a game in hand. 

Next week we face Clyde at Forthbank an important game for both teams, another 3 points then would be great. 

9 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Oh dear.  That stupid sending off really did Rovers in.  Pleased for us, but feel really sorry for them.   Loads of effort. Try to play football, but look short on experienced players  in a very young side.  Will keep my fingers crossed for their survival.

Very kind of you but Rovers today found yet another was to lose a game. For absent friends: our centre forward and the Stirling keeper both go for a through ball on the ground. Keeper gets it and the pair of them are in a tangle. Our guy gets up, keeper still down. Our clown then puts in a playground kick at the keeper. Took Binos a while to score but once they did, game over and a question of how many. It was one of those occasional games where the match sponsor should have declined to nominate a home player as man of the match.

Just now, Bold Rover said:

Very kind of you but Rovers today found yet another was to lose a game. For absent friends: our centre forward and the Stirling keeper both go for a through ball on the ground. Keeper gets it and the pair of them are in a tangle. Our guy gets up, keeper still down. Our clown then puts in a playground kick at the keeper. Took Binos a while to score but once they did, game over and a question of how many. It was one of those occasional games where the match sponsor should have declined to nominate a home player as man of the match.

From what I saw of it, your player's foot was trapped under Ferrie and he couldn't pull it free.  Your player clearly felt Ferrie was holding him.  I couldn't tell you if he was or he wasn't. There was certainly no need to as play was stopped.  The player then completely lost it and gave him a kick in the ribs right in front of the ref.   A pointless and stupid response whatever the truth of it was.   Especially at 0-0 with everything still to play for.  One of our players did something equally stupid a couple of weeks ago, but we managed to go on and win a man short. 

It happens so often all over the league. Somebody feels an injustice and does something stupid.  A pity they never think of the injustice they're doing to their own fans.  I can only wish you the best for survival mate.   It's not that long ago, we were so bad the non league teams could have us for breakfast.  If we'd not been lucky enough there was somebody worse than us at the time, we could have kissed our arses goodbye.  I wouldn't wish losing their league status on any club. It could happen to any of us if enough goes wrong. 

Well done to the lads today, it was a very professional performance in what was tough conditions. The pitch was heavy and for long periods of the First Half, Albion Rovers were in the game (without really creating any chances that spring to mind) and they looked far better than their league tally suggests.

Well done to our Defence though, McGeachie swept up balls and in McGregor, he had a partner who was also physical but could clear the hoofs and through balls that he had to deal with.

The Sending Off really changed the game, although I do think we were starting to come into it a bit more at this point. Byrne has really let his team down with the most petulant of Red Cards. As Bold Rover said above, he was late onto a through ball and hit into Ferrie, it was late but I’m not sure there was any malice in it, but 10-15 seconds later he kicked Ferrie in the ribs because he wasn’t getting up. I was actually furious for the Rovers fans and players because you need your players on the pitch making a different and Byrne has let them all down and it was such a cop out.

It was all one way traffic for the remainer of the game. I thought the front 3 were exceptionally good, pitch considered, and big Mackin was just bossing things up top and Peaso and Smith were just finding the holes and if truth be told, the 3 of them could of had more goals than they did.

The Midfield was slightly worrying today though, before going off injured, i wasn’t sure about Thomas as he was suspect positionally and gave the ball away cheaply, however he wasn’t the only one in the middle of the park.

However, today is not a day for negatives, the lads did what they had to do and i’m chuffed to bits.

Leaving Cliftonhill I cast my memory back to the last time I was leaving there and we are now a million miles from that team, well done to the coaching staff and players for turning things around and having the fans believe again. Bravo [emoji1319]

Must admit though, I really do fear for Albion Rovers, I watched East Kilbride a few weeks back and at this moment in time they look better. I wish Albion well but it must be hellish for everyone concerned with the club to be watching that every week.

With 20 minutes to go, you gave up the fight, I seriously hope you’ve not given up on the war 🤞🏻

51 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Informative report. SPFl told us nothing.

Dismissal

Posted at21'

Declan Byrne (Albion Rovers) is shown the red card for violent conduct.

Personally I dont think the sending off would have made that much difference to the result. With defending like that it wasn't as much as shooting ourselves in the foot but more like blasting half our face off. Agree really stupid sending off which makes an already uphill task much more difficult. 

Well done to Stirling for finishing the game off, only problem is you get to feel like world beaters after beating shite like us.

Archived