selling a car

Quick(ish) question…and apologies if this has been asked elsewhere!

I’m currently selling my own car as I’ve got a new job that comes with a company car.

I’ve had my current car for 10 years and before that I basically bought cars from relatives and friends and not much experience of selling(most of my old cars were scrapped!)

I took the car to a few local garages and although various “webuyanyc*nt” websites stated I’d get over a grand for it, on inspection the garages were knocking it down to £500 due to various minor defects.  Fair enough as I appreciate they need to make a profit.

So I decided to try selling it privately.

I’ve put it on Gumtree yesterday and already been bombarded with enquiries as I put it on at a reasonable £850.   The issue I have is due to relative inexperience in selling a car- especially since the internet has arrived (last time I sold a car I think I put in the Falkirk Advertiser!) I’m ultra paranoid about getting ripped off in some way.  This hasn’t helped by having a look at some help websites that have given tips that might as well say “make sure you have a gun to the drivers head at all times if you let them test drive”. 

What has made things even worse is I put the advert on Gumtree yesterday. Straight away I got a call from a guy looking to pick up straight away to export it.  Offered me less money but after I knocked him back he went upto the asking price. As I was bit unsure(and it was 10pm at night) I said I would need to wait and he then proceeded to bombard me with texts.  One saying he had a lorry that could pick it up that night.

I’ve just had another text now from a guy offering the full amount in cash for “a quick easy sale”.

Again, possibly I’m being a sh*tebag here but wary the motor will get used in a getaway, the cash will be fake, or any sort of rip off scenario will occur.

Anyone had any bad experiences with theis sort of thing or any tips?  Obviously I’m not totally stupid and the obvious things like not accepting paypal, making sure the money is in your account if its bank transfer and of course not letting them take the car on a test drive themselves…but I’m just interested to see if I am being too paranoid!

Further to this had another enquiry from Gumtree.  Bloke wanting to buy the car for his daughter..so I go through various things with him and I get this message back

..i smell sh*te...but again maybe me being para... I've already read Paypal is a no-no for selling cars due to various scams...

Subject: Re: mazda

Thank you for the information you have given about the car... Consider it sold but sadly I won't be able to come for inspection, test drive & pay cash myself... I'm a disable man & I'm on a wheelchair... This is why I've asked questions about the condition of the vehicle. Also, If I can trust you with your words toward the details you have given about it & I can make a transfer of the fund to you. I'll arrange pickup at your desired location after payment made & cleared with the recovery company. They will be able to pick up at your desired location to Jennifer's home(1st class Treatment With Trailer). I do not have online banking this why I've ask to make the payment via paypal. I do not have online banking this why I ask to make payment via paypal as I see Paypal payment to be best & secured means to make payment since I won't be there myself to pay cash & for security purpose.

NOTE:

The transport company will on my behalf handle the title, change of ownership & all other necessary document with you at DVLA where you both fill the vehicle particulars & sign sales agreement. Kindly please get back to me with the below details as for me to make payment to your account & as for me to get the recovery agent informed & prepared to pick up after you confirm payment

Details Needed For Paypal Payment:

1)Your name

2)Your paypal email address

3)Pickup location address

4)Your phone number

Kindly please delete the advert from the site now as I'm ready to make payment to your account as soon as you get back to me with the information requested... Note: Car will only be picked up after money paid & cleared in your bank account. So, you have got nothing to worry about

Regards,

David

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

850 quid is a small enough sum you could specify cash only.

Last time I sold a car on gumtree I just priced it well under the Parkers valuation, was honest about its faults and said sold as seen no test drives. Went in a day.

I did this too. A pleasant but quite drunk man turned up, said that he could see that I was a respectable person and not some oik in trackies and did not require a test drive. 

13 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Did he drive it away drunk?

No - his daughter drove him to my place to see it and he came back the next day. I just listed all the stuff that was good and bad with it so as not to waste anyone's time and it was sold in a few hours on Gumtree. 

15 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I sold my wife's old banger with an ad in the Inverness Courier several years ago. A girl phoned and called round with £500 in cash that I was asking for it. "Counterfeit?" my wife asked. "Yes, she had two," I replied

That's marvelous humour.  So thanks.   

8 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

Further to this had another enquiry from Gumtree.  Bloke wanting to buy the car for his daughter..so I go through various things with him and I get this message back

..i smell sh*te...but again maybe me being para... I've already read Paypal is a no-no for selling cars due to various scams...

Subject: Re: mazda

Thank you for the information you have given about the car... Consider it sold but sadly I won't be able to come for inspection, test drive & pay cash myself... I'm a disable man & I'm on a wheelchair... This is why I've asked questions about the condition of the vehicle. Also, If I can trust you with your words toward the details you have given about it & I can make a transfer of the fund to you. I'll arrange pickup at your desired location after payment made & cleared with the recovery company. They will be able to pick up at your desired location to Jennifer's home(1st class Treatment With Trailer). I do not have online banking this why I've ask to make the payment via paypal. I do not have online banking this why I ask to make payment via paypal as I see Paypal payment to be best & secured means to make payment since I won't be there myself to pay cash & for security purpose.

NOTE:

The transport company will on my behalf handle the title, change of ownership & all other necessary document with you at DVLA where you both fill the vehicle particulars & sign sales agreement. Kindly please get back to me with the below details as for me to make payment to your account & as for me to get the recovery agent informed & prepared to pick up after you confirm payment

Details Needed For Paypal Payment:

1)Your name

2)Your paypal email address

3)Pickup location address

4)Your phone number

Kindly please delete the advert from the site now as I'm ready to make payment to your account as soon as you get back to me with the information requested... Note: Car will only be picked up after money paid & cleared in your bank account. So, you have got nothing to worry about

Regards,

David

You'll be ok with David: he's a respectable Nigerian prince. 

Archived