Atmosphere at games.

The hibs play off semi final was the best game I’ve been to since we moved to TFS . Beating sevco twice that season was good but we gave the c***s a 50/50 ticket split.

Playoff was the first time in my menory that we sold out both our stands only to home support and it made a huge difference, the crowd noise carried all the way along the touch line to the away end . For most games the main stand is less than half full with the far section almost completely empty ,leading to quiet parts of the ground meaning shite atmosphere. Like many modern spfl stadiums . TFS ‘ problem is that she’s too big for the team . Add to that the fact that the first phase was built to comply with the old 10k rule and you end up with the 3 sided echo theatre .

As for Brockville well i guess I remember that smaller crowds didnt feel so sparse in standing areas as they do with empty seats in every row as people just stood together. And big crowds felt quite claustrophobic BUT when it was truly bouncing it had the same energy as being in the front row at a rock concert. Something all seaters just can’t replicate

But in any case older grounds suffer the same issue as new ones in that no stadium big or small can generate an atmosphere at 30% capacity. Thats the biggest cause of pish atmosphere I’m afraid lads

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/01/2019 at 12:07, RC55 FFC said:

Stadium has zero impact on the atmosphere. We’ve had big games in there where the atmosphere has been magic. A crap atmosphere is down to 2 things - Performance on the pitch & the fans.

Have to to disagree. Atmosphere and singing is more infectious when the person next to you is giving it laldy. Given that it's always the young team/South stand that try to get something going at home, it has to then pass round to the main stand from there, which the first point of call would be the family section where it just isn't picked up and the rest of the main stand sit rustling their sweetie wrappers. 

Got to say the atmosphere in the SRE was brilliant tonight the drum kept the full place rocking
Didn't come across that way on the tele. Utter shite. They insist on making the commentary so much louder than anything else. BT are particularly bad for it and Alba is atrocious; hearing the cheer is sometimes difficult on that.

I hate Sky but at least you get a sense of the atmosphere with them.

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Didn't come across that way on the tele. Utter shite. They insist on making the commentary so much louder than anything else. BT are particularly bad for it and Alba is atrocious; hearing the cheer is sometimes difficult on that.

Every time a song started they turned the mics down at both ends, could noticeably hear the immediate drop a few words in.
Mind you we'd miss the critical inshite from pundits like Ally McCoist wondering why Shankland didn't start against Auckinleck and suggesting he was on the bench last night to protect him from injury before the window closes.....

FWIW I've always though the Railway end carries more noise (even when Ayr fans are housed in it), probably because it has sheeting on the ends whereas the Somerset Road End is open sided. 

50 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

This.

Interesting that guys who were there said it was good as BT made it sound embarrassingly poor. It was one of those games where all their mics  picked up were players shouting to each other, gulls squawking and the wind howling. It's as if they set out to make it sound as unattractive as they could rather than making any attempt to sell the product.

I actually heard Bell screaming at the ballboy to leave the ball (poor show that FWIW) late on. And then the commentators wondering why Neilson was going apeshit [emoji38]

Annoying because I know it would have been noisy with a packed 'cooshed'.

Don't worry lads the Saints might well be back next season, that's what you are all missing. The Championship is clearly a poorer place without us.
Tbf your lads are very boisterous as an away support, always looks like a great day out. Certainly one of the noisiest i have seen at Palmerston.

That Falkirk vs Hibs two year soap opera was wild with hindsight. I thought McHugh had killed them as a club that night in the playoffs then they won the Scottish Cup the next week. Some boys. The quality in midfield for both teams was bonkers for the Scottish second tier. 

The atmosphere is shite when the football is shite.

Loads of folk talking about the German games having great atmosphere.

I went to a Hertha Berlin game on a freezing February night, despite there being at least 30k folk, loads of them steaming the atmosphere was dog shite because the game was dog shite.

21 hours ago, GMBairn said:

I went to a Hertha Berlin game on a freezing February night, despite there being at least 30k folk, loads of them steaming the atmosphere was dog shite because the game was dog shite.

German games do have a great atmosphere on the whole, Hertha seem to be the exception.

22 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

German games do have a great atmosphere on the whole, Hertha seem to be the exception.

Went to Hertha earlier this season and the atmosphere was tremendous, better than when I went to Dortmund. 

With regard to Somerset, I agree with a previous comment about the Railway End having better acoustics. I'd actually prefer that to be the Home End as whenever we open it for home fans, I love it and the players seem to respond. Friday night was a decent atmosphere but watching it back on the TV it seemed dead, which is something that BT need to sort out because it has a very damaging effect on the product that they are trying to sell.

Doesn’t Hertha’s ground hold around 75k? If so it’s hardly surprising..

Doesn’t Hertha’s ground hold around 75k? If so it’s hardly surprising..

Aye it’s got a running track as well. When I went the atmosphere was great. I was right above the ultras though. The Frankfurt fans were on the other side and causing quite a bit of noise too.

Aye it’s got a running track as well. When I went the atmosphere was great. I was right above the ultras though. The Frankfurt fans were on the other side and causing quite a bit of noise too.

Think next time I go to a game in Germany it’s got to be the Westfalen in Dortmund or the mad b*****ds at ST Pauli in Hamburg.
One of the loudest away supports I have ever heard was the Monchengladbach support at the Etihad in a Champions league game a few years ago and they actually lost 4-0!

Was at a Man Utd game in hospitality a few years ago and we were right behind one of the singing sections - you know the type, half them not watching the game but turned around to lead the choir. Have to say it was electric, especially as they tried to come back from 1-0 down and started the chant -

"ATTACK......ATTACK.......ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK.

ATTACK......ATTACK.......ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK.

ATTACK......ATTACK.......ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK."

Sounds daft but that made your hair stand on end and it seemed to galvanise the team. 

Archived