Atmosphere at games.

Some Ayr away days have been epic and a great laugh regardless of result. Always mind a game at Partick a few years back, getting pumped in the first half the whole away end decided to play “let’s pretend we scored a goal”......now that was funny and took the sting out being beat. Think we won 5-4 in the end lol. Also not just one game but that legendary away trip to Gretna......Ooft  

Atmosphere at Somerset is just dire though. Shout encouragement and some nob, who’s sitting patiently on a miss timed pass, looks at you like you’ve shit in his kettle. Or shout constructive critiscim and the happy clappers decend like vultures asking if you contribute to the AU500 club. (It’s not their business if I do or not). Nothing creates an atmosphere unless it’s raining and everyone is huddled together in the SRE with the team shooting towards it. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Atmosphere at Thistle games was great home and away in our last promotion season, and then for a few seasons in the top flight as well. Singing most of the games.
It's all died right on its arse these last couple of years, though. Which is totally understandable.

Getting the North / John Lambie set up as a singing and standing section was the best thing to happen to home atmosphere since we redeveloped the stadium. It’ll be good again when we’re not total gubbins (or if we show any fight in the pending relegation 6 pointers...)

The atmosphere at Somerset is very hit and miss. If we are shooting towards the away end in the first half, the more vocal element of the support go and stand out at the seg fence, which is hopeless for atmosphere. Second half, behind the goal, shooting towards the home end, it's completely different. The first chants of the day are usually when the team emerge for the second half. 

Was very impressed by QOTS and Falkirk fans at Somerset this season, made a good amount of noise. Others were disappointing, but maybe that was because they were getting pumped.

Our away fans are class but it can be brutal at home sometimes. Think it’s mostly down to the stadium and the shite football.

Also the people in the main stand are utter bores.

Stadium has zero impact on the atmosphere. We’ve had big games in there where the atmosphere has been magic. A crap atmosphere is down to 2 things - Performance on the pitch & the fans.

9 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Mate is a Sunderland season ticket holder and says Beadling looks better in midfield. I've seen him play in midfield and him and Thomson are just about the only positives we have at the moment. Martin as a centre back is also a total bombscare and at best no better than Durnan. Get him at full back and I'd be on board.

One goal between them and I think I've seen the pair of them have about one good performance each. Both were given chances from the bench in the last couple of games and made a struggling side look even worse.

In a season of utter mediocrity, they've still managed to be so unimpressive that neither has done anything whatsoever to nail down a regular place in the starting XI. In an average to decent side they'd stick out like a sore thumb.

15 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Simple answer to that is that we just don't have the same culture. Germans (and Italians, Serbians, Austrians etc.) take themselves and their ultra groups very seriously, and you wouldn't be allowed to just go and stand with them. It's all very choreographed and, having been to a few games, frankly repetitive. Half the time they're not even responding to what's going on out on the pitch, just bouncing and singing. At a certain point, it must just become background noise for the players.

In Scotland, people are more self-aware/don't want the piss taken out of them for bouncing up and down for 90 minutes.

Aye, this absolutely. Been at games where the "ultras" sing some repetitive song for about ten minutes and it's utterly shite imo.

On the pub point, when you're in the pub you're with all your mates, drink is flowing, optimism is rice but pretty crucially pretty much everyone is doing it. 100 people in a pub, if half of them are singing it sounds like you're going to take the roof off. 

Now plonk the same 50 people in amongst another 500 people who aren't joining it, all the sounds escaping and it sounds tin pot as f**k, your teams playing shite and it's probably minus 10. It's little wonder a sing song in the pub sounds better tbh. 

Stadium has zero impact on the atmosphere. We’ve had big games in there where the atmosphere has been magic. A crap atmosphere is down to 2 things - Performance on the pitch & the fans.

Disagree, aye there’s been some great nights with big games but the stadium having 3 sides not very close to the pitch plays into effect in many games.

40 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

There are definitely some grounds where Hibs fans just sit and shut up, McDiarmid Park, New Douglas Park and the Falkirk Stadium are three that spring to mind. Think they just invite people to sit down and it's difficult to get any free room to stand.

10 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

There are definitely some grounds where Hibs fans just sit and shut up, McDiarmid Park, New Douglas Park and the Falkirk Stadium are three that spring to mind. Think they just invite people to sit down and it's difficult to get any free room to stand.

I thought the Hibs playoff game at TFS was an excellent atmosphere. Up there with most Brockville experiences.

2 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

I thought the Hibs playoff game at TFS was an excellent atmosphere. Up there with most Brockville experiences.

A rare exception, and the home fans played a big part in that. For your run of the mill Hibs games there though, it was excruciatingly bad from our end. Those sort of grounds attract a sort of father and son outing where they're more concerned about somebody else sitting in their seat than the game itself.

For me it comes down to how close both sets of fans are situated. At Cappielow the atmosphere is a million times better if the away fans are in the Shed beside the home fans, or in the WDE behind the goal. However if there are 70 away fans in the main stand the atmosphere is awful unless the game is decent.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

As expected, massive entitlement and no heart.

You've mentioned entitlement and a lack of heart (or something similar) a few times. I'd like to hear you expand on that.

I have to confess I'm not much of a singer at games. I spectate and get worked up about things as they happen, but I get lost in the spectacle and applaud when something encouraging/fancy happens (the bar for the former being quite low tbf), and I do welcome other fans doing the heavy lifting of singing/creating atmosphere. My attitude towards it might literally be entitled (without the moral dimension) as I've paid my money and want to watch the game in my own way. Maybe you mean fans turn up expecting to be entertained, without needing to do anything to stimulate the performance (Kenneth Williams gif) by creating atmosphere. I think there may be something in what you say as fans see it as part of the entertainment sector, and are "paying players' wages".

I don't know about the lack of heart though. 

Archived