Stenny v Airdrie

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty confident about this one although that is never a good thing with Airdrie - especially as far as their recent record against Stenny is concerned. Stenny have strengthened somewhat but I still think, if we play at our best, we should have just enough to beat them. Glass quite impressed me in his cameo against Celtic so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do against teams further down the food chain. 

On 23/01/2019 at 19:30, el Gringo said:

Will this be a repeat of the snowy encounter a few years ago (which should never have gone ahead as players couldn’t change direction without slipping) when Stenny got their wee tractor out at half time and only cleared the half they would be shooting towards?

Hahaha! Did that actually happen?! Scandalous. 

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:19, Old Diamond said:

I think that it is important to  try and win the next three matches, we have Stenny, the Sons then Forfar, and Forfar have two tricky matches against Arbroath and Raith (then us), so there is a big opportunity to turn the current 3 points deficit to a 6 point advantage over the Loons

......and that is not going to happen, going into reverse.

Fucking woeful! Again! No better than under Findlay. Had plenty of possession, especially in the 1st half but done f**k all with it. Too many poor passes that were either intercepted or were to nobody. When Stenny had possession they actually looked like they knew what they were doing going forward, we were totally devoid of any ideas. If it wasn’t for yet another superb save from Hutton the game would have been finished long before it was. Joao on the scoresheet for Stranraer today. We need answers from Murray. Whether the right questions will be asked or if he’ll give an acceptable answer remains to be seen.

An engaging game between two reasonably well-matched sides, and one that Stenhousemuir probably deserved to win. The Warriors were more dangerous whenever they moved forward and steadfast at the back - with both teams largely bypassing the middle of the park, it was important we came out on top in both areas. The game was settled by a glorious free-kick from substitute Thomas Halleran - I would never have expected him to smash home a dead ball with such verve and accuracy but his shot from 20 yards left David Hutton with no chance.

Hutton, of course, had made a world-class save moments earlier to stop Mark "Mr Goals" McGuigan's goal-bound effort and I saw the goalkeeper inexplicably paw it away, I thought it wasn't to be our day; how wrong was I! It was the best I've seen Stenhousemuir defend all season. Andy Munro was tremendous and threw himself at everything that came his way. Munro's presence seemed to bring out the best in Morgyn Neill, who hitherto seemed to get dragged out of position a lot, and there's hope they can form a sound partnership. Alan Reid, a player I've criticised in the past, had his best game for the club at right-back and defended well (without really offering anything going forward).

McGuigan, too, was excellent as the loan striker and he also turned in one of his finest displays of the season. In a 4-5-1 formation with a lack of obvious midfield support, he was brilliant at running defenders (Sean Crighton looked uneasy all afternoon), holding the ball in and making a nuisance of himself. His play in the final 10 minutes was excellent.

After drawing with Aberdeen it was vital we turned our good Scottish Cup performances into something tangible in the league and I'm delighted we achieved that. Had we lost, we would have been bereft at the bottom of the table - now, we're touching distance from ninth. I didn't think Airdrie were very good, to be honest. Declan Glass had some nice touches and the full-backs liked to push forward but that was about it. Other than a nervous finale, there was nothing there that really startled me or anybody else in the ground. There's a decent group of players there on paper but they took a mild pounding this afternoon.

Bring on the Dons!

Big win for us today. Fairly even sided match but felt we looked more positive going forward. Game hinged on two incidents. First of all was a world class save by Hutton and then a few minutes later a really sweet direct free kick from Halleron. It was a corker and deserving to win any game.

Was a pretty even game, and was great to see Thomas step up and score with the free kick.

But, the injury to Morgyn Neill is a worry. Him and Munro look rock solid. Really hope it is not serious. We only had two fit subs today, and will be without Morgyn presumably, and Seb Ross for Tuesday.

Well that was an utterly embarrassing display after being on a decent run of form the past few weeks.

I’m glad Murray feels as angry as the fans with that performance, I was concerned he may come out with the empty platitudes we heard so often from Findlay - “disappointing”, “off day” and the like. He’s obviously got tore right into the players after that going by the post match interview.

There is a few positives we can take from that game, however:

1. Hutton continues to be excellent for us.
2. Glass looks like a good player (albeit a similar player to Wilkie by the looks of things).
3. We can’t play any worse than that for the rest of the season.

Final question. Why on earth is there a Tim Hortons in Stenhousemuir? :lol:

17 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Well that was an utterly embarrassing display after being on a decent run of form the past few weeks.

I’m glad Murray feels as angry as the fans with that performance, I was concerned he may come out with the empty platitudes we heard so often from Findlay - “disappointing”, “off day” and the like. He’s obviously got tore right into the players after that going by the post match interview.

There is a few positives we can take from that game, however:

1. Hutton continues to be excellent for us.
2. Glass looks like a good player (albeit a similar player to Wilkie by the looks of things).
3. We can’t play any worse than that for the rest of the season.

Final question. Why on earth is there a Tim Hortons in Stenhousemuir? :lol:

The game was so bad thatTim Horton's was the highlight of my fkn day...   

...apart from tipping a couple of winners at Cheltenham 

2 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

We need answers from Murray. Whether the right questions will be asked or if he’ll give an acceptable answer remains to be seen.

Really? Murray has turned around a pretty awful team under Findus and at least made us hard to beat. 

Chasing the manager at this point would be counter productive. We've a squad of bang average league 1 players and he's brought in some quality in Glass. 

Judge him at this point in two years when he's been allowed to shape his squad and we're shot of all the ridiculous two year contracts handed out to no-users.

We're not bad enough to go down - though a result like that against a doomed Stenny would suggest otherwise - and we're nowhere near good enough to go up. We'll need to consolidate and perhaps have a tilt at the playoffs next year. You might think that statement lacks ambition, but it's realistic.

Not sure what people expect from Murray when, apart from Glass, it is exactly the same players we had under Findlay, who are all proven bang average League One players. The majority of the team have 100s of appearances at this level. Murray can make them more organised, which he has done, and more committed, which he has done. But he can't create quality in the final third when we have none. That bit relies on getting better players, which he will obviously be trying to do. Next season will be the earliest we can properly judge him, getting on his back now is stupid.

Looked like a 0-0 for most of the time until Stenhousemuir realised that attacking was likely to produce a goal. The free kick was first class and all the more annoying because it seemed that Hutton's save would get us a point. So much useless possession in first half and shot shy apart from Glass in the second. Both defences were quite strong and our weakness was the slow build up or the long chasing ball as we ran out of ideas. Wide players who rarely got in any telling crosses. Full credit to Stenny, especially McGuigan for a battling performance. We move on, if not upward, to next week.  No need to panic as Pesadilla says , but it was so frustrating today.

Fucking woeful! Again! No better than under Findlay. Had plenty of possession, especially in the 1st half but done f**k all with it. Too many poor passes that were either intercepted or were to nobody. When Stenny had possession they actually looked like they knew what they were doing going forward, we were totally devoid of any ideas. If it wasn’t for yet another superb save from Hutton the game would have been finished long before it was. Joao on the scoresheet for Stranraer today. We need answers from Murray. Whether the right questions will be asked or if he’ll give an acceptable answer remains to be seen.

“Wee need answers from Murray”That must surely be a joke it wasn’t him that signed the dross that gets a game every it was the “great airdrie man” that signed them all you’ve got to remember these players ain’t Murray’s players these are players that he’s been stuck with

Half wit..

Archived