Stenny v Airdrie

I know this is unusually early to start a thread for Saturday’s game, but I am looking forward to seeing us back in league action & hopefully continuing our unbeaten league run.

I thought the team were superb against Celtic in terms of effort and organisation so hoping that continues.

Confidence will be high and from the little I saw of him on a Saturday, the addition of Declan Glass looks positive.

We won at Stenny playing with only 10 men for most of the game at the start of the season so with Murray in, and the extra training looking to be paying off, I’m confident we can go there again and get another win.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I know this is unusually early to start a thread for Saturday’s game, but I am looking forward to seeing us back in league action & hopefully continuing our unbeaten league run.

I thought the team were superb against Celtic in terms of effort and organisation so hoping that continues.

Confidence will be high and from the little I saw of him on a Saturday, the addition of Declan Glass looks positive.

We won at Stenny playing with only 10 men for most of the game at the start of the season so with Murray in, and the extra training looking to be paying off, I’m confident we can go there again and get another win.

We changed our shape later on Saturday.   Will Glass's arrival signal a new formation or do we stay 352?   I'm guessing Glass and Campbell wont be on the bench so who, if any, drops out?

I feel Josh Edwards has struggled the past 2 games so maybe Carrick for him instead of Carrick being the sub for Campbell. Scott to centre mid to make space for Glass on Saturday then was subbed so wonder how we'll line up.

At Celtic though Hutton and Crighton were excellent

20 minutes ago, goodwin said:

I feel Josh Edwards has struggled the past 2 games so maybe Carrick for him instead of Carrick being the sub for Campbell. Scott to centre mid to make space for Glass on Saturday then was subbed so wonder how we'll line up.

Apart from the miscontrol at their goal i thought edwards did well.    Not sure it would be fair on him tbh, think O'Neill and Edwards have settled the defence.  

I think Glass may be competing with Wilkie or Miller if we keep the 532 

2 hours ago, goodwin said:

Funny how we see thing different I thought Edwards and O’neil Done really well considering what was coming at them non stop .

Shameless self-promotion. Spoke to Craig G Telfer a few weeks back. A good listen for Stenny and Airdrie Fans.

Not expecting glass bottles to be chucked at the Airdrie Aces this week 🥺

Airdrie need to win to keep play-off push going. Stenny need to get league season back on track.

Should be a good game. Hopefully no late Stenny goals.

Absolutely cannot take anything for granted and I’m confident Murray will still that same message into the players. Re:above, I also thought Edwards and O’Neill gave a good account of themselves considering the quality of player they were up against and how much attacking play Celtic had. With exception to Edwards control/touch prior to one of Celtics goals, he did well. He’s still a young boy learning his trade. He will only get better. 

Apart from the miscontrol at their goal i thought edwards did well.    Not sure it would be fair on him tbh, think O'Neill and Edwards have settled the defence.  
I think Glass may be competing with Wilkie or Miller if we keep the 532 
That's my opinion.
I reckon it'll be Millar making way for Glass since Gallagher has more or less nailed down his place with decent displays since Murray came in.

44 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That's my opinion.
I reckon it'll be Millar making way for Glass since Gallagher has more or less nailed down his place with decent displays since Murray came in.

I am in 2 minds as we may go 4411 with Glass taking Wilkie's spot like we kind of did at Parkhead.  Not sure playing Campbell wide left is ideal for him.

Its good to have options, the 3 man defence has improved a lot and that's thanks in no small measure to O'Neill and Edwards presence as well as the 2 centre mids protecting them better.   It may well simply be Glass for Miller (due to his lack passing range?)leaving 2 up top, so we have Glass, Gallagher and Campbell starting in midfield?

I am in 2 minds as we may go 4411 with Glass taking Wilkie's spot like we kind of did at Parkhead.  Not sure playing Campbell wide left is ideal for him.
Its good to have options, the 3 man defence has improved a lot and that's thanks in no small measure to O'Neill and Edwards presence as well as the 2 centre mids protecting them better.   It may well simply be Glass for Miller (due to his lack passing range?)leaving 2 up top, so we have Glass, Gallagher and Campbell starting in midfield?
The issue I see with Glass for Miller is that Miller does the dirty work that much of the time goes unnoticed. Plays simple passes, breaks up play etc. Assuming Glass is more attacking we then lose that element of play. We have been playing well and I hope for obvious reasons to the guys already there that he doesn't just walk into the first team.

15 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:
1 hour ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

The issue I see with Glass for Miller is that Miller does the dirty work that much of the time goes unnoticed. Plays simple passes, breaks up play etc. Assuming Glass is more attacking we then lose that element of play. We have been playing well and I hope for obvious reasons to the guys already there that he doesn't just walk into the first team.

That's the thing,  we're currently assuming what his skillset is as we've not seen much, it may be that Campbell is both better than, and,  more suited to Miller's role and that Glass will adopt the more attacking CM role?

As said in the earlier post I think Wilkie could be the other player who may sit out, though I'd be unsure then of Campbell's role, again, I'm assuming Campbell and Glass are here to play a starting role and Campbell has come as a CM, not a wide man.   Unless its Glass wide left in a 4411 leaving, Miller, Gallagher and Campbell as the central 3?

Squad is looking a bit healthier by adding two loans and shipping out two on loan, would like to see a natural scorer come in though to push for playoffs and more importantly win them.

1st Team - Hutton, O'Neil, Crighton, MacDonald, Stewart, Millar, Gallagher, Glass, Campbell, McIntosh, Wilkie

Subs - Carrick, Duffy, Victoria (imagine all three coming on last 15 minutes when u need a goal)

Edwards, Page, Robertson, Conroy, Cairns, Sean McIntosh (has he played this year)

Sub Goalie McKenzie

Will be another standard defeat for us. I am now comfortable with the fact we will be relegated by March but Scottish Cup winners come May.
Our win last time was the first in an age so I expect a tough match. I guess we will play the same shape as recently picked. Who plays is up for grabs. I don't know Glass positions but I think he will be on bench. I predict an away win on. Saturday and the cup tie. Sorry.

Will this be a repeat of the snowy encounter a few years ago (which should never have gone ahead as players couldn’t change direction without slipping) when Stenny got their wee tractor out at half time and only cleared the half they would be shooting towards?

Will this be a repeat of the snowy encounter a few years ago (which should never have gone ahead as players couldn’t change direction without slipping) when Stenny got their wee tractor out at half time and only cleared the half they would be shooting towards?

I remember standing outside at the game thinking not a chance this will be on [emoji23]

Will be another standard defeat for us. I am now comfortable with the fact we will be relegated by March but Scottish Cup winners come May.

Do you expect Stenny to rest a few players ahead of the replay with Aberdeen next week then?🤨[emoji23]

I think that it is important to  try and win the next three matches, we have Stenny, the Sons then Forfar, and Forfar have two tricky matches against Arbroath and Raith (then us), so there is a big opportunity to turn the current 3 points deficit to a 6 point advantage over the Loons

Archived