Ross County vs Alloa Athletic

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect he’s going to be released. It’s fairly clear he isn’t yet fully trusted, and if he’s only on a one-year deal, I don’t really see where he fits in when Vigurs gets back.

As for Spence, either Kettlewell or Ferguson said in the P&J and he and Kenny were basically signed because of injuries. One of the reasons that they were able to sign them was the promise of at least one year in the top flight, should County go up. Otherwise, they’d have been 6 month deals, I’d have thought.

Really don’t see Paton getting released at all, he’s still very young and Fergie and Ketts will have brought him in to play the odd game, go out on loan and learn from older players at the club

I don't see how he can be so devastatingly effective at league 1 level and so anonymous in the championship. He needs to play some fucking games. Its not like the guys further up the pecking order are setting the heather alight. 

10 hours ago, Waspie said:

Certainly not the case, Alloa actually finished the game well on top. 

Good effort from us again today. Started well and were the better side in early stages. Real blow then that County scored from their first effort. We continued to compete pretty well although struggled at times with physicality of County in the middle. County could well have had another goal or two in the first half, some poor finishing after opening us up. I was happy to get in at 0-1.

We started second half well too and had a good spell just before the second goal, which was a poor one to concede from an Alloa point of view. Worry then was that we might get a drubbing but the players continued to hang in and after the attacking switch we had some real pressure and but for a couple of last ditch tackles we would have had a goal to make the final stages really interesting. 

Can't begrudge County the win, they defended well and stuck away a couple of their chances, but once again really proud of Alloa's efforts. With a wee bit of fortune we'd have got something from that. Showed up the talk here of a "few early goals" and suggestion of easy win to be the nonsense it was. 

Great result for  County against a good team.

I can't say i was at the game but quite often when a team has a 2 goal lead they take their foot off the gas so it's probably true that Alloa had a fair bit off the game towards the end.

Good luck for the rest of the season anyway and hope your team finishes well! Don't let the nonsense get you down :)

Good win against a decent outfit Needed a solid defensive display to hold the lead and gain a clean sheet. New guy settled in well and we will benefit from his passing ability,for sure. I had a nice day but my it was cold.  Alloa will keep surprising a few teams this year

4 hours ago, BuieCounty said:

I can't say i was at the game but quite often when a team has a 2 goal lead they take their foot off the gas so it's probably true that Alloa had a fair bit off the game towards the end.

Oh dear. Perhaps if you attend games and follow what's going on in the league then you will be better placed to comment ;)

Cant complain too much about the end result, County created some good openings. Was impressed with the boy Lindsay in centre mid. But we played plenty of decent passing play within the game. Just wish we tested the keeper a bit more in the second half. Early on though we were excellent despite going behind.

Trouten and Flannigan were both excellent, and Kirkpatrick made a difference from the bench. No disgrace going down to a team I think will win the league. We competed well despite coming up a bit short.

Driving through the blizzards on the way home was a bit of a white knuckle ride.

Highlights are up.  Seem to support Father Barry's views.  Interesting (by which I mean not remotely interesting but observable nonetheless) to see County playing two distinctly different formations in each half. 4-3-3 in the first and 4-4-1-1 in the second.  Don't think either of those will get the best out of Mckay, but Lindsay looks well suited to playing in the 10.  

I only saw the few minutes Paton played against Morton (on the TV) plus occasional highlights on YouTube from earlier in the season. He looks like the only CM that will pick up the ball and actually run with it - I don't see any of Draper, Vigurs, Lindsay, Spence, or Cowie doing that. I'd quite like to see him starting. Spence seemed to get some plaudits yesterday but he strikes me as a bit too defensive, and that's kind of the point of Ross Draper.

The team selections/formations recently are starting to annoy me. We can't even say they've been that effective because it's 2 wins and 2 defeats in 2019. 

Edit

I'd like to see something a bit more conventional next week rather than 3 forwards with at least one out of position

Something like:

Fox

Fraser Watson Semple Kelly

Draper

Mullin Paton Lindsay Gardyne

Graham

Subs: Munro, Grivosti, Kelly,  Spence, Armstrong McManus, Mckay

My only take from the highlights is that is a very tidy finish from McManus.  I think he's a perfectly able deputy for Mullin, but now we've got Armstrong who plays that position too.  Choices, choices, choice.  We've gone from having one winger to having about five.

County just seem to get a lot of wins without ever being sparkling. I thought you guys were going to romp the league when you played us off the pitch at EEP and it'll be interesting to see how you perform this weekend...if I can will myself to head along.

Alloa are a right good side but some of their fans on here are very needy about getting credit. 90% + of opposition fans have praised Alloa but they still complain about the odd zoomer calling them diddies.

That performance down at EEP was one of the best we've put out this season, I think only the first half at home to Ayr has been better from what I've seen (I missed the 5-1 down at Tannadice due to being in hospital). We're capable of playing some really nice stuff, but it's only in bursts and we seem to be much more effective when teams come at us rather than sitting back. Dunfermline had a go in the 3-1 and we took advantage.

19 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Alloa are a right good side but some of their fans on here are very needy about getting credit. 90% + of opposition fans have praised Alloa but they still complain about the odd zoomer calling them diddies.

This stems from earlier this season when everyone who didn't get full points from us put it down to them being poor blah blah, you are right in that we are getting credit now as a decent side

but it wasn't like that earlier in the season..we are what we are. 

This stems from earlier this season when everyone who didn't get full points from us put it down to them being poor blah blah, you are right in that we are getting credit now as a decent side

but it wasn't like that earlier in the season..we are what we are. 

He's just trolling.

Archived