Ross County vs Alloa Athletic

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great result for County.  Hopefully we've been through our bad patch now and can go on a good run and create a bit of breathing space at the top over the coming months.

14 cup finals left to win as the old cliche goes and then job done!

43 minutes ago, Wasp97 said:

2-0 flattered country, it was a pretty poor game. If we could have got the final ball right then we might have cause a few more but as it was we could play all week and still not score

Flattered? Haha. For the first 50 minutes it was competitive and you probably wouldn’t have know Alloa were part time, then there was only 1 team in it. 

I always hated Goodwin but hats off to him, he seems like a decent manager and will defo go higher than Alloa. 

Fuk, that was the coldest I think I’ve ever been in the West Stand.
County are still very disjointed but playing with only 10 for the first half didn’t really help. Sean really didn’t give a flying fuk today and think that might be the last we see of him.
My Man of the Match was Keith Watson today. No one else really

8 minutes ago, humbleheart said:

County are still very disjointed but playing with only 10 for the first half didn’t really help. Sean really didn’t give a flying fuk today and think that might be the last we see of him.

Yeah me and my mate were saying Watson man of the match too. Threw himself at everything. He’s been an absolutely superb signing.

Keith Watson my MOTM too, though McManus mostly played well and opened the scoring.

County played some nice bits and pieces and    IMentirely objectiveO,    2-0 didn't flatter - about right.

Though Alloa did create a few chances, including missing a sitter, County could have scored more too.

New boy Spence impressed. Intelligent player who should improve the effectiveness of our midfield.

I assumed Seán Kelly was injured. He’s never been an overly confident guy, and I’d imagine his head would drop if it’s a recurrence of the same injury he’s had.

1 hour ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Flattered? Haha. For the first 50 minutes it was competitive and you probably wouldn’t have know Alloa were part time, then there was only 1 team in it. 

Certainly not the case, Alloa actually finished the game well on top. 

Good effort from us again today. Started well and were the better side in early stages. Real blow then that County scored from their first effort. We continued to compete pretty well although struggled at times with physicality of County in the middle. County could well have had another goal or two in the first half, some poor finishing after opening us up. I was happy to get in at 0-1.

We started second half well too and had a good spell just before the second goal, which was a poor one to concede from an Alloa point of view. Worry then was that we might get a drubbing but the players continued to hang in and after the attacking switch we had some real pressure and but for a couple of last ditch tackles we would have had a goal to make the final stages really interesting. 

Can't begrudge County the win, they defended well and stuck away a couple of their chances, but once again really proud of Alloa's efforts. With a wee bit of fortune we'd have got something from that. Showed up the talk here of a "few early goals" and suggestion of easy win to be the nonsense it was. 

Can't begrudge County the win, they defended well and stuck away a couple of their chances, but once again really proud of Alloa's efforts. With a wee bit of fortune we'd have got something from that. Showed up the talk here of a "few early goals" and suggestion of easy win to be the nonsense it was. 

Quite literally nobody predicted a few early goals, or an easy win.

It was only today in the P&J that Kelly stated he has been managing injuries since he first joined County, but after two operations he is the fittest he has been since he arrived.  However he was so slow today, even by his standards, that I wonder if something was wrong.

Watson is superb at blocking shots and is a fine defender all round, probably the best at the club... if it wasn’t for the fact that he keeps getting caught with the ball over the top of his head.  That didn’t happen today but the team has lost a handful of goals that way.  In any event it looks like a promising partnership between he and Semple.  

On the basis of today and County's form of the last couple of months I'd prefer to watch Alloa on a weekly basis I think.  I can't say the Wasps were better because they couldn't find a way past the centre-backs, but I enjoyed their football more.  4231 with Trouten off a tricky forward, a playmaker on the left and a speedy winger on the right... it beats watching three workmanlike centre-mids trying to supply three centre-forwards where two of them are playing out of position.  Sure, when the forwards clicked they blew Alloa away, but it happened once... maybe twice all match.  You can't get away with that against the better teams in the league.  Billy Mckay at left-wing barely worked, even if he was unlucky with a shot off the post.

I'm not on the Spence impressed-train.  Not that he has done much wrong, but that midfield trio is much better suited when the team are underdogs.  I don't understand the signing to be honest.

Trouten barely got a sniff of the ball in the first match this season, but I loved watching him play today.  The way that he always looks for a pass with his body open to turn or angle a first-time pass is great to watch.  I miss Harry Paton from the pre-season friendlies.

30 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Quite literally nobody predicted a few early goals, or an easy win.

Except the poster who was going on about "convincing win", "really good win" and "a few early goals". Nobody has managed to do those things against Alloa this season, County included. 

4 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

On the basis of today and County's form of the last couple of months I'd prefer to watch Alloa on a weekly basis I think.  I can't say the Wasps were better because they couldn't find a way past the centre-backs, but I enjoyed their football more.  4231 with Trouten off a tricky forward, a playmaker on the left and a speedy winger on the right... it beats watching three workmanlike centre-mids trying to supply three centre-forwards where two of them are playing out of position.  Sure, when the forwards clicked they blew Alloa away, but it happened once... maybe twice all match.  You can't get away with that against the better teams in the league.  Billy Mckay at left-wing barely worked, even if he was unlucky with a shot off the post.

I'm not on the Spence impressed-train.  Not that he has done much wrong, but that midfield trio is much better suited when the team are underdogs.  I don't understand the signing to be honest.

I don't know how many more times I need to bang the table for Harry Paton. He's the most naturally talented player at the club. 

3 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Expect the poster who was going on about "convincing win", "really good win" and "a few early goals". Nobody has managed to do those things against Alloa this season, County included. 

You've been excellent all season, as evidenced by results and the current league table. Keep fighting the good fight. 

I don't know how many more times I need to bang the table for Harry Paton. He's the most naturally talented player at the club. 

I suspect he’s going to be released. It’s fairly clear he isn’t yet fully trusted, and if he’s only on a one-year deal, I don’t really see where he fits in when Vigurs gets back.

As for Spence, either Kettlewell or Ferguson said in the P&J and he and Kenny were basically signed because of injuries. One of the reasons that they were able to sign them was the promise of at least one year in the top flight, should County go up. Otherwise, they’d have been 6 month deals, I’d have thought.

Archived