Ross County vs Alloa Athletic

County have dominated Alloa for the most part this season, but struggled almightily to score.  Will it be the same on Saturday?  Another last minute winner?  Or will Alloa take confidence from those close defeats?   Will County have two new players (oh how we need them) or will the internet rumours from Pie and Bovril prove fruitless yet again?  Will Alloa?   And will Willie Irvine make a comeback?

Discuss politely with style and/or panache,  and show your working.

1-0 County (Stewart, 82) is my incredibly lazy prediction.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Willie Irvine was playing, I'd know we'd get beat with a scruffy 87th minute winner.

As it stands, I think we'll bore it to another 1-0 or 2-0 defeat as Alloa try to hit us on the counter. Goodwin's no daft, he's going to try and keep it tight all game.

6 hours ago, Comrie said:

If Willie Irvine was playing, I'd know we'd get beat with a scruffy 87th minute winner.

As it stands, I think we'll bore it to another 1-0 or 2-0 defeat as Alloa try to hit us on the counter. Godwin's no daft, he's going to try and keep it tight all game.

By Law he needs to bring on Hitler at some point, he may just be the one to score a late winner.

Should be the same team that played in the win v Motherwell as I imagine everyone else is still suspended or injured?

We're still very light of options outwit the starting XI so hopefully the likes of Cowie and Stelios are fit enough to get a spot on the bench if we don't have any new signings this week.

Think we’ll struggle in this one, hardest place to go in the division I’d say. Getting Kirky and Flannigan back will be massive - two calming presences in the midfield. Not sure where Aitchison fits in the team and with no real physical presence, it’s hard for him to make an impact off the bench. A strange signing but one I’m happy and wouldn’t be surprised to be proved wrong!

Take a draw... 1-1. Ross Stewart equalising with 94 minutes on the clock.

Alloa impressed me at the game in December. Some better finishing would have seen County a couple of goals up at half-time, but Alloa were a lot less open in the second-half and defended really well. The goalkeeper (Parry?) made some excellent saves, and they looked dangerous on the counter. A very well organised team with some attacking quality in Zanatta, Trouten, and Flannigan.

You would expect County to go with the same XI that beat Motherwell, with guys like Mullin, Armstrong, and Semple on the bench? Although, SK/SF might fancy flinging in a more offensive midfielder in place of Spence? 

I'd go:

Fox

Fraser Watson vdW Kelly

McManus Paton Draper Lindsay Gardyne

Graham

Subs: Munro, Grivosti, Semple, Spence, Mullin, Armstrong, Mckay

It's essentially a must-win game given (a) the previous two league results, and (b) a win extends the lead over at least one of Dundee United or Ayr.  I think County will scrape by with a less than comfortable 2-0 win.

Would have quite fancied going to this one as I'm in Inverness but Escape From New York at Eden Court was a more enticing option 10 days ago!

On 22/01/2019 at 00:44, D'Jaffo said:

An Alloa and Ayr double would be ideal.

On 22/01/2019 at 00:37, Granny Danger said:

An Alloa win would be good for Scottish football.

Call me biased but i think an Alloa win would be a disaster for Scottish football. Fingers crossed for a convincing County win against a decent Alloa side

16 hours ago, yoda said:

Alloa impressed me at the game in December. Some better finishing would have seen County a couple of goals up at half-time, but Alloa were a lot less open in the second-half and defended really well. The goalkeeper (Parry?) made some excellent saves, and they looked dangerous on the counter. A very well organised team with some attacking quality in Zanatta, Trouten, and Flannigan.

You would expect County to go with the same XI that beat Motherwell, with guys like Mullin, Armstrong, and Semple on the bench? Although, SK/SF might fancy flinging in a more offensive midfielder in place of Spence? 

I'd go:

Fox

Fraser Watson vdW Kelly

McManus Paton Draper Lindsay Gardyne

Graham

Subs: Munro, Grivosti, Semple, Spence, Mullin, Armstrong, Mckay

It's essentially a must-win game given (a) the previous two league results, and (b) a win extends the lead over at least one of Dundee United or Ayr.  I think County will scrape by with a less than comfortable 2-0 win.

Would have quite fancied going to this one as I'm in Inverness but Escape From New York at Eden Court was a more enticing option 10 days ago!

I would pick 

Fox

Fraser   Watson   Semple   VanDerWeg

McManus  Lyndsay Draper Armstrong

Gardyne

Graham

From what's being said about Semple i think we'll need him in there sooner rather than later and Armstrong will be eager to get out there and make an impression so they should throw him in. Graham needs a good run in the team as he will get a lot of goals at  this level if the service is good.

Its got to be a comfortable victory here after the boost down in Motherwell. 3-0 to County

This is the sort of game where I'd expect us to have a lot more possession and territory than Alloa, so I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly is at LB not Kenny for his better range of passing.

While any win will do from a County point of view, I think a convincing win at home by 2 or 3 goals would help get the confidence where it needs to be for a title battle. Here's hoping anyway! 

On 23/01/2019 at 15:12, Comrie said:

On 23/01/2019 at 15:12, Comrie said:

11 minutes ago, BuieCounty said:

While any win will do from a County point of view, I think a convincing win at home by 2 or 3 goals would help get the confidence where it needs to be for a title battle. Here's hoping anyway! 

Any win will do from an Alloa point of view too. County are very tough opponents but we can be positive on the back of a 6 match unbeaten league run, indeed it would have been 7 but for County's late winner at the Recs at the start of December. Have a wee concern at possible hangover from the disappointment of losing a game we should have won in Paisley last week, but this group have shown their ability to bounce back before and I'm sure they will put it behind them. Will help too that we can bring the two key men who missed that game back into the squad. 

Archived