Sorry Sons -vs- Angus Azzuri

3 hours ago, optimistic said:

A lot of harsh comments here, I fully agree that the defensive members shuffled that much was a dreadful decision, but I thought we shaded the first half. Adam has been worse, as has Hutton, but the usual stick from the stands doesn’t help. Ben Armour I thought, and Barr were quite useful, big henk strolled it, liked the look of Ferguson, but melingui was excellent

Cook is a complete c**t

I don't make it along to terribly many games but managed a rare visit down the Rock for this one. Unfortunately if that's us on a good day then relegation is likely.

Montrose will be disappointed to not have collected the 3 points, they looked the more capable side throughout. 

Our defence performed reasonably well, despite the weird selection, but there was literally nothing happening in front of it.

Jim needs to pull a couple of rabbits out the hat this week, no question.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry but I'm with BBPF here. We constantly complain about referees and linesman. This is a deflection tactic to avoid admitting how shite we are.
The Duffy impact hasn't worked, hopefully he can sort something out but when our best player is a Brechin reject you know we have problems
I think we need to can this 'Brechin reject' patter. Melingui maybe isn't everyone's idea of a Sons striker, but he came into a struggling team, gave his all and scored an excellent goal the likes of which Gallagher, Russell, Loy, Aitchison, etc., have generally failed to do this season.

I think he has the right to a wee bit more respect for his efforts today.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think we need to can this 'Brechin reject' patter. Melingui maybe isn't everyone's idea of a Sons striker, but he came into a struggling team, gave his all and scored an excellent goal the likes of which Gallagher, Russell, Loy, Aitchison, etc., have generally failed to do this season.

Aye I agree with this. I'm not wanting to get carried away with Melingui, but he was good today and deserved his goal and MOTM award.

Kevin Nisbet is a Sons reject after all. Strikers are odd, and you can never really tell how they'll get on.

Maybe Boris can be this season's Pat Walker - after all he was barely getting a game for Annan in League Two before he saved us from relegation.

I didn't say Brechin reject to be disrespectful to the boy. He's came in, done us a turn and scored us a goal. Absolutely nothing against him and I hope he does well if we sign him.
The point I was making, which u clearly missed, was that if he was our best player, a guy that can't get a game for an awful Brechin side, then we are in a whole heap of trouble and it says a lot about the players we currently have at the club.

2 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

I didn't say Brechin reject to be disrespectful to the boy. He's came in, done us a turn and scored us a goal. Absolutely nothing against him and I hope he does well if we sign him.
The point I was making, which u clearly missed, was that if he was our best player, a guy that can't get a game for an awful Brechin side, then we are in a whole heap of trouble and it says a lot about the players we currently have at the club.

An awful Brechin side that at the moment are above your pish poor team :whistle

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

Aye I agree with this. I'm not wanting to get carried away with Melingui, but he was good today and deserved his goal and MOTM award.

Kevin Nisbet is a Sons reject after all. Strikers are odd, and you can never really tell how they'll get on.

Maybe Boris can be this season's Pat Walker - after all he was barely getting a game for Annan in League Two before he saved us from relegation.

A look around the Leagues and we could have a decent side, comprising 'rejects' deemed not good enough by Mr Aitken :)

In truth a poor game especially first half. Good job for Dumbarton that Montrose were weak up front. We have been playing three up front but for some reason reverted to two up front neither of whom are prolific scorers. Rennie has a few goals but almost all free kicks and penalties but he is still punching above his weight at this level. This was a winnable game but our starting line up was not balanced right. We didn't need five across the back for a game like this. Even though two were wing backs they still didn't give enough support up top.  It was crying out for more pressure up top or for a bit of class or even the running power of CJ.

It got to the stage where we almost gifted the points to Dumbarton who scarcely deserved them.

Reading the above comments from their fans I was surprised by some. Goalie Adam gets a lot of stick but I thought he kept them in the game several times with great blocking saves - twice when one on one. The young trialist Melingui was impressive as well - their MOTM in my opinion. Dumbarton suffer from lack of confidence which is worrying for them at this stage of the season. Montrose suffer from lack of fire power up top but should have enough in the tank to see it through.

10 hours ago, The Elephant & Castle said:
A look around the Leagues and we could have a decent side, comprising 'rejects' deemed not good enough by Mr Aitken [emoji4]

Otherwise known as Alloa Athletic.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was that I thought Adam looked in really good shape today. He was built quite like his brother earlier in the season, and that horrible Barney kit was really tight on him, but today he looked like he’d slimmed down a lot.

Shame he still makes some mental decisions and appears to have a back that’s made out of polystyrene mind you.

Edit: I see that the picture on the OS has changed from Forbes to, what looks like, a squad photo of Boris. Can’t help but wonder if he had signed/agreed to sign but things just weren’t completed before today.

6 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Otherwise known as Alloa Athletic.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was that I thought Adam looked in really good shape today. He was built quite like his brother earlier in the season, and that horrible Barney kit was really tight on him, but today he looked like he’d slimmed down a lot.

Shame he still makes some mental decisions and appears to have a back that’s made out of polystyrene mind you.

Would love to be in Alloa's position right now.

Oh well. It is what it is

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Ferguson is a full back, not a centre half. Cammy Ballantyne is a right back, not a left back. Carswell is a central midfielder who has shown he is more than competent at centre half yet we shunt him to right back, play a full back at centre back and a right back at left back. It's an utterly bizarre way to setup whether you want to admit it or not.

The goalkeeper selection was ridiculous unless Smith is crippled. Adam wasn't fit, and that clearly showed when he needed carted off. Smith was then flung into the deep end with little to no warning.

We can pussyfoot around it all we want but playing players out of position when we don't need to and taking risky selections with goalkeepers is daft and Duffy has to hold his hands up.

I’m well aware of where our players are best suited to play. If we’d lost 4-0 and the defence had been all over the place maybe you’d have a point.

The fact we gave  Montrose very little clear cut chances tells me it worked reasonably well, up until a competent defender, regardless of being a centre-half or full-back, failed to deal with a relatively straight forward situation and that hesitation led to us conceding a penalty. Duffy can’t be responsible for that however much you want it to be true.

The team selection and player positioning can be argued back and forth til the coos saunter home. The fact is that we led 1-0 with minutes to go and it was an indicidul error that cost us the win.

He can though. One of those players was being played out of position and the other was flung into action when he didn't expect it.

There was no need to play Ferguson at centre back and there was no need to start Grant Adam.

Smith wasn't fit

7 hours ago, RGD89 said:

People keep going on about who to partner Hutton with??

Why do we have to partner him with anyone.??

Drop the clown and play carswell and thomo in midfield now we have cover in defence so surely carswell can play in place of Hutton.

Play Forbes as a ten ( where he should be IMO )

I hate how bad he is yet he seems to be undroppable.

I’m sure many will disagree. But what have we got to loose.

He has been playing with an injury after all.

Carswell was much worse than Hutton today.  In fact I'd also say Hutton was better than Thomson. That's not to say Hutton was great but the others were worse.

4 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Not sure where you got that impression. I'm not 100% certain on the reliability of the stats but having done a quick Google search he made 22 appearances in all competitions this season for Brechin.

Carswell was much worse than Hutton today.  In fact I'd also say Hutton was better than Thomson. That's not to say Hutton was great but the others were worse.

Right, I’m sorry here, but what did Hutton do yesterday that made him better than anyone?

He gave away the ball pretty consistently, was caught in possession on the edge of our own box a number of times, and was regularly stuck dragging along his dodgy leg as the Montrose midfield breezed beyond him.

I have no issue at all with praising him when he does well, but he was miles off it yesterday.
Not sure where you got that impression. I'm not 100% certain on the reliability of the stats but having done a quick Google search he made 22 appearances in all competitions this season for Brechin.

Only made eight starts in the league, the last of which came against us in the 4-1 game back in early December.

On 25/01/2019 at 15:33, Dumbarton Rock said:

If it was a home end bin it would be dealt with. But as it's for you guys I don't really care. ;)

Those are away-end bins and I noted that their position yesterday was vertical.

Archived