Lichties v Loons 26-01-19

How good was McCallum? The back four were superb aswell -- Eckersley yet another quality signing from Weir.
Ryan McCord - what a waste.

McCallum made a number of very good saves and a couple of other ones he didn’t know much about. Your back 4 were excellent today doubled up on bobby and nullified him and won every header in the air.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gayf78 said:

McCallum made a number of very good saves and a couple of other ones he didn’t know much about. Your back 4 were excellent today doubled up on bobby and nullified him and won every header in the air.

McCallum also collected numerous crosses with nae fuss. His distribution - other than the odd shank out to the right - was decent aswell. 

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

So fucking annoying how much stick Wallace gets at home games still, understand he's the furthest player forward, he can be terribly frustrating and is usually closest player to the support but still. Funniest thing about it is it's from same folk that would have Hester playing over him 

It's telling to me that many of our away support didn't have any time for Wallace previously, but have gradually grown to appreciate what he can offer to the team, but some of our home fans will just never see it that way,  he could score a hat trick and as soon as he made a mistake it'd be jumped upon. Imagine he took the corner Bobby took yesterday, or missed the header McKenna did after he came on :lol: 

Genuinely very surprised people don't think Wallace was our best front man yesterday..... I don't think he wasted a ball all game? Linked up very well and kept things simple while trying to create...... There's a lot of simple things people miss in my opinion - a small example would be after Wallace went off, what happened with our attacking throw ins? We ended up losing the ball on half of them because the thrower had less options/ more static options with Wallace usually being the main one to create space to either receive the ball himself or taking a man to leave a hole elsewhere for someone else to take the ball in. Football fans in general don't overly care about these things, similar to off the ball runs taking a man to create space for others etc. but when they see a player running about and closing down defenders etc. with a more brute force approach this is viewed as showing passion/ energy/ giving 100% etc etc. and fans really like it.

Football is of course all about opinions; but as I said above I didn't think Wallace put a foot wrong yesterday? There was no occasion in his time on the park where he fucked up, and almost all of our attacking moves involved him in the build up play. After he went off, we stopped putting any sort of passing move together in the final third and we fizzled out IMO.

In order to try and win football matches, I would like to see us play the strikers who have scored the most goals for us and also those who have assisted a lot of our goals. Luckily for us our highest scoring striker is also the player who has the most assists for us. Anyone want to take a guess at who that player is? ;)

2 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

In order to try and win football matches, I would like to see us play the strikers who have scored the most goals for us and also those who have assisted a lot of our goals. Luckily for us our highest scoring striker is also the player who has the most assists for us. Anyone want to take a guess at who that player is? ;)

Actually just double checked on this - Wallace has scored the 6th most goals and has the most assists in the ENTIRE DIVISION...... yet I've seen comments from people saying he's not a team player!! :blink: 

3 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

what happened with our attacking throw ins? We ended up losing the ball on half of them because the thrower had less options/ more static options with Wallace usually being the main one to create space

Regarding throw ins, I've noticed that over the season we have tended to lose possession immediately after having taken a throw in, more so on the left side than the right, regardless. 

As for Wallace, well how many chances did we create from his play yesterday? I would say very few, particularly in the first half. As I have said before I'm not a big fan of him but I think he does an OK job, but yesterday things didn't work as well for him as they usually do when McKenna is doing a lot of work around him. Hopefully he and Donnelly and/or Spence can gel but it would need to be sooner than later. We don't want to start dropping points at this point in the season whilst experimenting with new forward pairings trying to find out how best to play with each other.

1 minute ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Regarding throw ins, I've noticed that over the season we have tended to lose possession immediately after having taken a throw in, more so on the left side than the right, regardless. 

As for Wallace, well how many chances did we create from his play yesterday? I would say very few, particularly in the first half. As I have said before I'm not a big fan of him but I think he does an OK job, but yesterday things didn't work as well for him as they usually do when McKenna is doing a lot of work around him. Hopefully he and Donnelly and/or Spence can gel but it would need to be sooner than later. We don't want to start dropping points at this point in the season whilst experimenting with new forward pairings trying to find out how best to play with each other.

I felt he was involved in pretty much every good attacking move we had in his time on the park to be honest;  I also felt he used the ball very well, didn't waste it/ give it away at all and at times kept things simple while on other occasions created space for himself/ others and moved the ball on quickly to keep us moving forward. People will always see things differently though, nothing wrong with that at all, life would be very boring if we all had the same opinion.....! :)

Bit in bold I massively agree with - we can't chop and change our front line every single week. Personally I'd give Spence and Wallace a couple of games together. The problem we have is that all of our options have wee issues currently..... apart from one. Steven Doris and Greig Spence are lacking match sharpness, Mikey McKenna simply doesn't score/ assist enough goals to play upfront every week in a top team (unless playing alongside a striker who is scores goals..... luckily we have one of those ;) ) and Liam Donnelly looked quite sluggish yesterday, although as biglichtie and others have pointed out firing balls at his head/ 2 foot above his head is not playing to his strengths whatsoever.  He also looked very good against Stenny in terms of his link up play when given the right service.The final striker we have is Ryan Wallace, who many of our fans don't rate, but out of the strikers listed he has our best goal return, our best assist return (and also the best assist return in the whole division) and is fully fit. Yet he's the guy who many wouldn't play?  :unsure: 

11 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

I was standing next to Jacob Rees Mogg in tutties.....fully decked out in his maroon tuxedo

Are you sure it wasn't a clean shaven SimonLichtie?

As for the game, nothing less than Forfar deserved. They were just a bit sharper than us, particularly in the midfield (can't recall us winning many 2nd balls, if any)

That back 4 + McCallum won't concede many goals

Really frustrating day at the office yesterday. Could have been different if we were awarded the stonewall penalty inside 10 minutes but hey ho. Was grim to watch, hoof after hoof which Travis and Whyte mopped up no bother. Donnelly is a waste of a shirt if we are going to play like that and it certainly hampers Wallace too.
Really don’t like DC’s current trend of taking off both strikers, think it kills momentum.

Really frustrating day at the office yesterday. Could have been different if we were awarded the stonewall penalty inside 10 minutes but hey ho. Was grim to watch, hoof after hoof which Travis and Whyte mopped up no bother. Donnelly is a waste of a shirt if we are going to play like that and it certainly hampers Wallace too.
Really don’t like DC’s current trend of taking off both strikers, think it kills momentum.
Historically DC's substitutions have been rather mixed as to their effectiveness and purpose. I'm sure he does it just to wind up the fans.

Noticed Connor Coupe got on the scoresheet. How has he been playing? I always thought he looked a bit of a player for our 20s but maybe lacking the physique for senior football at the time.

Hasn't been getting much game time with a fairly settled starting 11 for months.

Put in a possible MOTM performance last week against Killie (about another 5 could have claimed it tbf) and was worthy of a start yesterday.

Exciting prospect.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

Noticed Connor Coupe got on the scoresheet. How has he been playing? I always thought he looked a bit of a player for our 20s but maybe lacking the physique for senior football at the time.

As a neutral he looked a little lightweight , and a bit too easy to push of the ball.

However it was not an easy header by any means for his goal.  Huge looping cross to the back post and a superb connection for such a young lad.

Just watched highlights and it is a terrible tackle for the red. That was a leg snapper if it connected.

Archived