The Highland Derby

That was a good cup tie .Two sides who are pretty well matched and difficult to predict a winner .,Great incentive for both teams in the replay with Dundee Utd awaiting the winner..Lost count how many Championship games have burst my coupons this season , hope the " cash out or not " guy further back in the match thread did cash out..

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A draw was probably a fair result.  County came into it more as the game wore on and their play merited an equaliser.

Who's this Stewart cunt that always scores against us?  I've never seen nor heard of him before.  Is he a local youth player?

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

A draw was probably a fair result.  County came into it more as the game wore on and their play merited an equaliser.

Who's this Stewart c**t that always scores against us?  I've never seen nor heard of him before.  Is he a local youth player?

Signed him from St Mirren, after Stubbs decided he didn't have a future there.    He looks like a solid championship striker.  He's pretty much a younger, rawer, slightly more creative Brian Graham (i.e polarises the support between those who think he's a diddy and those who think he adds something different).  He's developing a knack of being a super sub.  For some reason, our managers think he can play on the wing.  He can't.

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Signed him from St Mirren, after Stubbs decided he didn't have a future there.    He looks like a solid championship striker.  He's pretty much a younger, rawer, slightly more creative Brian Graham (i.e polarises the support between those who think he's a diddy and those who think he adds something different).  He's developing a knack of being a super sub.  For some reason, our managers think he can play on the wing.  He can't.

At what point do the managers start to get a bit more criticism for their frankly baffling team selections? Seems like they're getting a pass because of the injury list. 

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

At what point do the managers start to get a bit more criticism for their frankly baffling team selections? Seems like they're getting a pass because of the injury list. 

Don't dare say that on OTB.

The injury list has been downright ridiculous, and it's shown that the squad is nowhere near as big as people assume.  That said, I agree.

Lindsay isn't a 10, or a right midfielder.   Stewart isn't a winger.  Mckay isn't a winger.

We've got Paton, who was recalled from his loan by the manager and who has barely played since, and we've got Armstrong, a winger, who hasn't played in a month and who could do with going out on loan if he isn't going to play.  

And then there's Lewis Spence, who I presume was signed to allow Draper to drop back into defence if needs be, but who has started every game since he signed.  I can only assume that when Vigurs comes back, Spence will disappear off to the reserves.

There's more than a touch of the tactical tombolas about some of the lineups, or at least a positional tombola.  

ICT have an all black away kit this season, so that wouldn't be any easier on the eye.

Caley Thistle’s first league game of the season was away to Falkirk and in that wore last season’s white chequered top. Haven’t worn it since for some reason (including the second time we played Falkirk away).

11 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The injury list has been downright ridiculous, and it's shown that the squad is nowhere near as big as people assume.  That said, I agree.

Lindsay isn't a 10, or a right midfielder.   Stewart isn't a winger.  Mckay isn't a winger.

We've got Paton, who was recalled from his loan by the manager and who has barely played since, and we've got Armstrong, a winger, who hasn't played in a month and who could do with going out on loan if he isn't going to play.  

And then there's Lewis Spence, who I presume was signed to allow Draper to drop back into defence if needs be, but who has started every game since he signed.  I can only assume that when Vigurs comes back, Spence will disappear off to the reserves.

There's more than a touch of the tactical tombolas about some of the lineups, or at least a positional tombola.  

Agreed completely. The Spence signing was a strange one, as far as I can tell he's a carbon copy of Lindsay. Cowie plays a similar role too. They obviously fancy midfield players with legs but too many too similar players are being shoehorned in to the team in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

For what it’s worth I think Spence has been one of our best players since he signed. You can tell you don’t go to any games...

As far as I know, Paton's loan was up, McMenamin wanted him back but he wanted to stay at County and fight for his place.

Armstrong is cup tied.

I don't agree with the selections.  There is friction between wanting to play two centre-forwards and not having the quality needed from the full-backs to support that.  Richie Brittain might not have had the success he did in our invincibles campaign if he didn't have Gary Miller stretching the pitch with his overlaps -  Willie McStay found that out to his cost just a few months previous.

Without adventurous full-backs I think the team should be aiming to go back to the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 hybrid, with Lindsay the most attacking central midfielder.  He's not a natural 10 but he times his runs into the box very well, leads the press and can fill in.  With Mullin and Gardyne back in contention and Armstrong the first-change between them I think that's what the managers have got in mind in the medium term.  It means a big call in dropping one of Mckay or Graham (and I'd drop Graham).  Graham, Stewart, McManus and Armstrong offer a good plan B among them.

Spence has done nothing [ETA: nothing wrong], he just isn't what the midfield needs at the moment in Vigurs's absence.  He, Draper and Lindsay as a combo induces too many square passes.

All IMO.

With Draper/Lindsay/Spence in midfield there's one willing to make the runs (Lindsay) but nobody with the vision to make the passes without Vigurs being in there. Draper does good work as a destroyer but Spence is neater and tidier. I still feel the managers are trying to smash square pegs into round holes to make a preferred formation work and it still isn't clicking.

Didn't see the full-time result until 11:00pm, so was relieved to see County salvaged a replay (I knew it was 1-0 after 30 minutes, so expected a return to the derby games of yore).

Looking at the highlights, it's a decent hit by Doran but Fox should do better. He gives off an impression that he's weak at long-range efforts and goals like that do nothing to change my opinion on that. ICT's defending wasn't great for the equaliser.

Hopefully we'll see County go with their best players in their correct positions from now on. Do that and we'll be through to the quarter-final.

Tremarco that one mistake aside had a stormer, won virtually every header. Thought Donaldson had a decent game at the back as well. Other than Midge taking the piss out of McKay and Mullin roasting Tremarco pace wise, the other forwards struggled to get the better of the Caley back four.

54 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Tremarco that one mistake aside had a stormer, won virtually every header. Thought Donaldson had a decent game at the back as well. Other than Midge taking the piss out of McKay and Mullin roasting Tremarco pace wise, the other forwards struggled to get the better of the Caley back four.

3 hours ago, yoda said:

Didn't see the full-time result until 11:00pm, so was relieved to see County salvaged a replay (I knew it was 1-0 after 30 minutes, so expected a return to the derby games of yore).

Looking at the highlights, it's a decent hit by Doran but Fox should do better. He gives off an impression that he's weak at long-range efforts and goals like that do nothing to change my opinion on that. ICT's defending wasn't great for the equaliser.

Hopefully we'll see County go with their best players in their correct positions from now on. Do that and we'll be through to the quarter-final.

Kettleson has badly misread the ICT fullbacks twice this season.  County need to start Gardyne/Armstrong and Mullin every game against them.  

Archived