Hibs v Raith Rovers

Rovers2017

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah well beaten by the better team, didn’t think we had a great game but not taking anything away from Hibs on the result as Hibs deserved to win the game. Nice to get a consolation goal at least. Best of luck to Hibs in the next round of the cup and the rest of the season.

Hibs were miles ahead of us and didn't need to even step up into second gear. We showed far too much respect, and our midfield were hugely immobile. Stevenson and Gray had plenty of time on the wings. Cracking finishes from both Horgan (who did well to get it out his feet) and McNulty in particular. We never really caused any problems until 3-0 down, and Hibs had taken the foot off the pedal. This was a free hit, but it's completely unexpected that we've been knocked out. 

Pretty disappointing from us. Especially the use of subs. Duggan for Nisbet, Matthews for Barjonas, so unimaginative and predictable.
Nisbet was struggling and barjonas was on the pitch longer than he should have been. We don't actually have any real depth so there wasn't much else mcglynn could change?

The game today highlighted the two leagues gulf between the teams.

Even with 5 in the middle, we were weak and lightweight. I'm not Ross Matthews' biggest fan, but I think he would have provided a bit more dig and bite in the middle. No one in the midfield seemed certain of what they were supposed to be doing and if we won one 50/50 ball all game then I missed it. 

I felt McGlynn left it far too late to change anything and the first sub was pretty much like for like. Surely he couldn't have been standing thinking 'leave well alone'. 

I'd have been surprised if we'd beaten Hibs today, but disappointed they didn't have to work overly hard for their goals due to us being so slow, weak and disjointed. 

Hopefully Kilmarnock or St Johnstone next for Hibs in the quarters. 

4 hours ago, Michael W said:

Amazing that continuing with the same failing defence results in us continuing to fail in defence. 

Can’t wait for the next game to see the same defence have another go.

9000 at the game. Wasn’t even much of a pay day for the club.

We looked so lightweight today and barely put a decent tackle in until the second half. Barjonas looked miles off the pace and should have been hooked at half time. It was almost like playing with ten men. Frustrates me when loan players look weaker than the boys sitting on the bench.  If Flanagan had a right foot we might have scored in the first half when he went clean through but decided to cut inside on his left and couldn't get a shot off. To me that was a very good opportunity that we needed to give ourselves a chance. Hibs brushed us aside fairly easily in truth. Apart from a late rally, when we created a couple of chances to make it 3-2 they were cruising. Mcglynn has a job on his hands as there is a mini clear out required. We are way to soft to challenge in the play offs in my opinion. The mental strength is not there to have 4 good performances back to back under pressure.

Turned out to be a real damp squib in the end, which is a shame. Hibs are just miles, miles better than us, and there’s not much we could really do about that. Hibs were so much faster to close us down and put us under pressure and we just couldn’t cope. Pish to watch but hard to criticise to be honest. Best of luck to Hibs in the next round. 

Archived