Clyde vs Cowdenbeath

Pleasing. Boyle producing a wee bit of quality that he has in his locker and Sir Raymond producing a lovely finish and a Shearer to celebrate too. Syvertsen did not too badly at all up top. Cowden carried a lack of any real threat and with the top two dropping points it’s a very good result for us. Looking forward to another tough game next week.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lang was my man of the match. He was excellent today.

Syvertsen was better than I expected in his new position but tired badly towards the end of the game. I'd still prefer him on the right wing and we try to get a striker signed if possible.

We didn't create many good chances but it was a well worked goal by Grant.

Cowdenbeath seemed to be settling for a goalless draw practically from the first minute. Luckily they got what they deserved, nothing!

Massive result given the other two slipping up, we don’t often take advantage of that do very pleasing. 

Not always easy to break down a team who defend from first minute,  so great to see the goal come eventually.  Some great work from McStay, Grant and as usual Cuddihy. Lang and Rumsby dealt with the long ball projected at them all day and Kriss worked hard all day. 

Enjoy my Saturday night again tonight, starting to get used to this; well done guys; total commitment yet again for 90 mins 

Oh Aye Ally Love’s Free kick at the very end..class!!!

Deserved and hard fought victory. Scrappy 1st with few chances but 2nd half was better and if it wasn’t for a fantastic save from McGurn big Kriss would have bagged his first for us. Goal came from one of the unlikeliest of sources but took it superbly on the volley from a wonderful Boyle cross.

It might just need 1 goal victories until Goody is back and this team are ready to deliver what’s needed.

The next 3 months are going to be interesting.

Syvertsen very lightweight trying to do Goodys job. Seemed to get knocked off the ball very easy. Needs to toughen up a wee bit. Lang and Cuddihy brilliant. Nicholl amazing for the 15 minutes he got. Took the foot off the gas after the goal for some reason. Hope Goody gets fit soon as we really miss him. Well done to Clyde for digging in and getting the 3 points long may it continue.

Thought cowden started off well looked like a few players had some skill but after about 20 minutes Clyde were just that good cowden totally fell away, Tom Long was superb and very pleased Ray Grant got his first goal been one of my favourite players this season and Peterhead n Edin dropping points :thumsup2 happy Saturday folks enjoy 

No complaints about the result today& Clyde reaffirmed my statement earlier in the week definitely far from a one man team.

from a Cowdenbeath perspective I thought Buchanan very poor surprised he was given the time he did giving away passion consistently. Not Jordan Allan's best game too defensively poor positioning at times leaving space on the right with Mullen having to deal with 2 quite often Clyde exploited this frequently until eventually positioned himself better with instructions from  the dug out.

I think if there were doubts about Malcom the Swann could have replaced Buchanan readily. Deas excellent again and still thing our best CB pairing Deas & Pyper who had another good game.

Kyle Miller decent game & I'd be happy for him to retain the armband as sorry Marsh doesn't impress me at all.

Looking at Clyde I was very impressed with Lang, thought he was excellent, Stewart looked good  too looking to go forward and get behind Mullen  on the left and a regular threat. Also thought Rankin showed his class at times & had a decent game. As I suspected Clyde a good outfit and look a good bet for promotion.

As I Cowden fan naturally disappointed not to sneak something but as I say no complaints I looked at the league table at the final whistle and there are 20 points separating the clubs watching the game today it didn't feel like a gap that size, so dust ourselves down and go again and lets see where we can get to, ideally top 4 finger crossed.

3 hours ago, Kierkegaard said:

Good point, Andy.

The league is ultimately the key objective, however having to play McGurn  is unfortunate and again my point in another post why we should encourage Goodfellow to seek another club and recruit a reliable back up with a view to the future  as a longer term replacement. I guess all easier said than done though given budgetary constraints and available quality. 

Tough game but great to get the 3 points given results elsewhere. Cowdenbeath were well organised and tough to break down. They came close to scoring just after half time but the shot was dragged wide and also had a header from a corner which Cuddihy cleared off the line. If either had went in then doubt we would have picked up the 3 points.

Not as commanding a performance as against Berwick etc. but thought we done well against a well organised side. First half we must have had about 60/70% of possession without doing much with it.

Syvertsen, tried his best up front but stayed central more often than not which didn't help with an area which was already congested.
Second half, I thought we started well but was a brave move from Lennon to bring Love on for Stewart and go 3-5-2. It increased the pressure on Cowdenbeath and was a great cross and goal from Grant.

Cowdenbeath didn't offer much after that despite having the majority of the ball. Nicol and Lyon done well off the bench, I thought.

Lang would be my man of the match. He looks very composed on the ball compared to your usual league 2 player bur overall a good win against a stubborn opposition.

Stirling next week will be equally difficult but would expect they wont defend in depth as Cowdenbeath which would suit us.

I thought the title race was over when we went 10/12 points behind but we are right in the mix now but we have turned it around. When was the last time we won 6 in a row?

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Lang was my man of the match. He was excellent today.

Syvertsen was better than I expected in his new position but tired badly towards the end of the game. I'd still prefer him on the right wing and we try to get a striker signed if possible.

We didn't create many good chances but it was a well worked goal by Grant.

Cowdenbeath seemed to be settling for a goalless draw practically from the first minute. Luckily they got what they deserved, nothing!

Absolutely fair play to you HD- I respect you for the TL comment after our discussions. And no- for the record, I’m not related to him.

1 minute ago, wulliemc said:

Nicholl was outstanding when he came on and banked the points. Puzzles me why he doesnt start every game for you.

Probably because we've won every game since he dropped out of the team through suspension and we now move the ball much quicker through midfield. His role for the rest of the season will be coming on in tight games as teams shell the ball into the box; as he did superbly today. It's not even cost us defensively as the only goal we've conceded in our last 6 came from our left-back producing a crazy mistake against Peterhead. It also means that Rumsby is the only player in the team who isn't particularly great on the ball, and he's looked better as a result as well as he can now pass short to Grant/McStay who can turn under pressure. 

Today we restricted Cowdenbeath to a grand total of one threatening effort on goal and at the other end, created just about enough against a hardworking wall of 10 men to get the three points. Very patient. A good attacking substitution from Lennon just gave us an extra body around the box and a wonderful pass from Boyle (which is why we put up with his 65 minutes of anonymity) set up what was another quality goal in a long list of many this season. 

Cowdenbeath have three or four players who are always on the verge of a red card (the bookings for Mullen, Cox and Talbot were all for mental tackles), a couple of really good performers in Deas and Fraser. In their defence, the one time they let us counter attack  we ripped them to pieces and ended up with Lamont having a shot that was blocked, so they were perfectly right to defend deep and not over commit.

Defensively we were excellent. All four defended well against what was basically just a threat in the air, but captain Cuddihy and Lang's ability on the ball was outstanding. Grant and McStay have cast off any doubts about their "ball-winning" and desire for a scrap, and the former's composure is just ridiculous. Lamont, Boyle and Rankin will all have more influential matches but they made Cowdenbeath rush a lot of passes when in possession and it was maybe always going to be one of them that would create the goal. I thought Syvertsen, whilst obviously not as good or refined as Goodwillie, had a very decent game. He had very little space to work in (very little in behind, almost nothing in front), but he pulled the two centre halves all over the place for an hour until he tired, and some of his footwork to create space was excellent. Put it this way, I can list a bucket load of strikers we've had in this league that wouldn't have came close to that performance. The thing we need to work on is that when Goodwillie works the channels, he then ends up in the box, whereas Syvertsen hung around looking to continue taking part in the passing. Love, like Nicoll, a valuable substitute. Lyon good at running down a game with his energy. I'm not sure anyone would complain if we had Cogill/McNiff starting at centre half either.

If we don't lose ground over what I think are two tough away games coming up, I think we'll win the league. We're not conceding goals, and we're playing good football at the other end. 

45 minutes ago, wulliemc said:

Nicholl was outstanding when he came on and banked the points. Puzzles me why he doesnt start every game for you.

Because, coming on and doing what he did today is his game, nowhere near creative enough to start for us now. Still a big player for us under certain circumstances though, like today when we need physicality to help see out a game and when the opposition just bomb balls forward chasing the game.

As ever just an opinion. 

Delighted with the win today. Really hard fought but well deserved. We’ve been building up some head of steam and the top two must be very concerned. Lead now down to 3 points when it was 10 not too long ago. Two tough away games coming up now. 

We were disappointing today. I thought we gave Clyde way too much respect and tried to stop them rather than try to win the game. After the Clyde goal, roles were reversed and we pushed and Clyde did the defending.

Does anyone know where the Clyde team went after they scored. . They disappeared from the pitch for 5 mins, i thought they were off to the showers !

17 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

We were disappointing today. I thought we gave Clyde way too much respect and tried to stop them rather than try to win the game. After the Clyde goal, roles were reversed and we pushed and Clyde did the defending.

Does anyone know where the Clyde team went after they scored. . They disappeared from the pitch for 5 mins, i thought they were off to the showers !

Ended up pretty much in the stand celebrating the goal with the fans ! 

I wouldn’t be too disappointed if I was a Cowdenbeath fan. You are hugely improved from the last couple of seasons. 

I’ll be cheering for you guys midweek. All the best ! 

Archived