Partick v Queens

One of the classics for me in terms of McGinty (didn't lead to a goal though) was during the 5-1 game at Morton a long ball played forward, he falls over, the ball bounces off his head and falls to a Morton player. Was ridiculous. I'm sure he was actually at fault for at least one of them that day anyway.  

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the classics for me in terms of McGinty (didn't lead to a goal though) was during the 5-1 game at Morton a long ball played forward, he falls over, the ball bounces off his head and falls to a Morton player. Was ridiculous. I'm sure he was actually at fault for at least one of them that day anyway.  

He lost his footing and fell over (Balatoni did this about 5 times a game) and still managed to get his head to it and stop the striker getting in.

I agree with Nizzy that McGinty isn’t as bad as many make him out to be. He’s still not very good though and should be replaced.

Is McGinty one of the greatest ever Thistle players? No, absolutely not. 

Is he one of our best players in recent history? Nope.

Is he the best player in the current, poor, team? No. 

Is there better than him out there? Yes

Is he as bad as some suggest that he is? No, not that either. 

He's prone to errors but probably no more or no less than those playing around him. 

His distribution can be awful at times but equally he can be quite effective pushing forward from the back as the first goal on Saturday is evidence of. 

Where he is, most of the time, effective is in simple no nonsense defending. There was one incident on Saturday that struck me at the time and is a decent example of what I mean. Stranraer were pushing forward in the second half and one of their players had the ball in a potentially dangerous position albeit some distance from goal.  McGinty forced him out wide a bit and when the ball was there he simply knocked  it out the park removing the danger. Not worthy of applause and hardly an example of football as the 'beautiful game' but just simple, effective, defending. You need that and McGinty, without having seen too much of Saunders, is the best exponent of that side of defending that we have. 

He's hardly flawless but he's well down my list of players I would like to see move on this month. 

58 minutes ago, Reid said:

He lost his football, fell over and still managed to get his head to it and stop the striker getting in.

That's how I saw it.

40 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

He's hardly flawless but he's well down my list of players I would like to see move on this month. 

I'd guess that this will be our (Caldwell's) first choice 11 with all players fit:
------------- Hazard
Elliott Saunders McGinty Penrice
-------- Harkins Bannigan
--- Spittal - Slater - Storey
------------- Doolan

From that list, McGinty and Storey would be my top two to ship out, and I don't think it's even close.

In terms of the overall squad, fair enough - Bell, Lennox, Keown, Ntambwe, Mutombo are all a complete waste of a wage at this point, and Coulibaly and McCarthy don't seem to be getting much of a shot either. If Caldwell got rid of any of them ahead of McGinty I wouldn't have an issue, but in terms of active players I think he's one of the weakest.

I'd guess that this will be our (Caldwell's) first choice 11 with all players fit:
------------- Hazard
Elliott Saunders McGinty Penrice
-------- Harkins Bannigan
--- Spittal - Slater - Storey
------------- Doolan

If Harkins plays as a holding midfielder you’re 100% getting relegated.

1 hour ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

I worry about the role we've got planned for him, yeah. I think the idea is for Bannigan to do all the hard work, running around and tackling, and Harkins to play the quarterback (*shudder*) position in midfield.

It's good in that it allows Slater to move further up, where he's clearly more effective. It's bad in that it's Gary Harkins in a position where you really should have mobility.

3 hours ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

If Harkins plays in any position on Saturday we're f****d. He's suspended.

I worry about the role we've got planned for him, yeah. I think the idea is for Bannigan to do all the hard work, running around and tackling, and Harkins to play the quarterback (*shudder*) position in midfield.
It's good in that it allows Slater to move further up, where he's clearly more effective. It's bad in that it's Gary Harkins in a position where you really should have mobility.

That’s basically the role we had planned for him I think, with Kyle Jacobs doing his running. It worked in some games and he and Dobbie ran riot. In others though we lost the midfield and he ended up looking a bit disinterested as he wasn’t getting it all his way. Why he thinks he still has the pace to try and knock it by a player and run onto it is beyond me, I’m not sure he ever did!

Ironically he did his hamstring tracking a midfield runner and although he returned from the injury he didn’t really make any meaningful contribution.

I’ve no real sour grapes about him moving on, there has been a noticeable improvement in Jacobs now he doesn’t have to do the running of two men, and in Nicky Low we have found a gem much more suited to our style.

I can’t see him being much use in a relegation battle and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him and Caldwell clashing at some point.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

That’s basically the role we had planned for him I think, with Kyle Jacobs doing his running. It worked in some games and he and Dobbie ran riot. In others though we lost the midfield and he ended up looking a bit disinterested as he wasn’t getting it all his way. Why he thinks he still has the pace to try and knock it by a player and run onto it is beyond me, I’m not sure he ever did!

Ironically he did his hamstring tracking a midfield runner and although he returned from the injury he didn’t really make any meaningful contribution.

I’ve no real sour grapes about him moving on, there has been a noticeable improvement in Jacobs now he doesn’t have to do the running of two men, and in Nicky Low we have found a gem much more suited to our style.

I can’t see him being much use in a relegation battle and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him and Caldwell clashing at some point.

No way he will be at Partick  for 18 months.. 

12 hours ago, ScottyG said:

If Harkins plays in any position on Saturday we're f****d. He's suspended.

I think the fact he's suspended for this game was established a couple of days ago, the point made was about how he would be used in games he will play in. 

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think the fact he's suspended for this game was established a couple of days ago, the point made was about how he would be used in games he will play in. 

Oh, I see.

Queens fans have been stuck in the north end of the JHS. 
Spoiler Laughing-Goose.gif.e8f049eb4edc8b43b7499f19cadac515.gif

Nothing but fond memories up there. That's where we were when Stephen Payne scored a last minute winner the season you came down (and went down again, if it happens again the term should surely be classed as 'doing a Thistle'). Would be happy with a similar outcome this time.

22 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I dont think we've ever been anywhere else - possibly behind the goals once. I dont think I've ever sat in the Colin Weir

We were in the Colin Weir last time.

Archived