Partick v Queens

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, the_paulo said:

Can't wait to see how Gary sets out our multitude of options this weekend, after our swashbuckling cup win.  

Harkins back in, Fitzpatrick benched, 1-1 draw due to a McGinty howler. 

Is Harkins not suspended for this one after being sent-off in his last Championship game?

45 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Is Harkins not suspended for this one after being sent-off in his last Championship game?

Correct. One match ban I think. Pity, I actually think he's quite useful in front of the back line. 

59 minutes ago, the_paulo said:

Can't wait to see how Gary sets out our multitude of options this weekend, after our swashbuckling cup win.  

Super Miles Storey back in, Fitzpatrick benched, 5-1 win despite a McGinty howler. 

FTFY :king

1 hour ago, the_paulo said:

Harkins back in, Fitzpatrick benched, 1-1 draw due to a McGinty howler. 

How many McGinty howlers have resulted in goals for the opposition?

He's given away numerous penalties this season. I can't think of any open play howlers he's responsible for, but he loves a foul in dangerous areas.

He's less of a Danny Devine type of bad defender with howlers all over the shop, and more just a general liability that doesn't do very much (or anything?) particularly well.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

He's given away numerous penalties this season. I can't think of any open play howlers he's responsible for, but he loves a foul in dangerous areas.

How many are numerous? And how many were given away as a result of making last-ditch tackles having been left exposed by his teammates. I'm asking this because I don't think he's as bad as people make out and is merely the latest in a long line of Firhill scapegoats. The abuse he copped after the pre-Christmas defeat in Dumfries was ridiculous. 

6 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

How many are numerous? And how many were given away as a result of making last-ditch tackles having been left exposed by his teammates. I'm asking this because I don't think he's as bad as people make out and is merely the latest in a long line of Firhill scapegoats. The abuse he copped after the pre-Christmas defeat in Dumfries was ridiculous. 

Off the top of my head he gave away the one at Ayr on opening day, another against County in December, and then at United a couple of weeks back. From what I remember, none of them involved him being sold short by anyone. The Tannadice one in particular was really bad - a simple cross in and he completely flattens Nesbitt as he controls the ball.

There have definitely been more penalties conceded this season, no idea if they were him or not, but at least three in half a season is a pretty poor start. Ntambwe making an arse of things at Caley is the only one I can definitely remember not being him.

I wasn't at Dumfries, so no idea what happened there, but I do think he's as bad as being made out. He's huge but seems to have no presence in the air at either end, has no idea how to deal with players running at him, and as before, concedes stupid fouls regularly. It's not always penalties, such as against Falkirk the other week, where he gave away a completely unnecessary free kick 25 yards out, which was thankfully ballooned over. No doubt his supporting cast hasn't been great this season; he lost O'Ware who would have started next to him, Elliott has maintained his abysmal form from last season, and Penrice seems to have regressed from the first few weeks. But I still think he's a big clown and should be replaced asap.

1 hour ago, Adrian Madaschi said:

You would think with his height he would at least chip in with a few goals at set pieces, but he's not very good at that either.

So he's no different most recent Thistle defenders you could name in that respect, barring Lindsay and maybe Balatoni?

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Off the top of my head he gave away the one at Ayr on opening day, another against County in December, and then at United a couple of weeks back. From what I remember, none of them involved him being sold short by anyone. The Tannadice one in particular was really bad - a simple cross in and he completely flattens Nesbitt as he controls the ball.

There have definitely been more penalties conceded this season, no idea if they were him or not, but at least three in half a season is a pretty poor start. Ntambwe making an arse of things at Caley is the only one I can definitely remember not being him.

I wasn't at Dumfries, so no idea what happened there, but I do think he's as bad as being made out. He's huge but seems to have no presence in the air at either end, has no idea how to deal with players running at him, and as before, concedes stupid fouls regularly. It's not always penalties, such as against Falkirk the other week, where he gave away a completely unnecessary free kick 25 yards out, which was thankfully ballooned over. No doubt his supporting cast hasn't been great this season; he lost O'Ware who would have started next to him, Elliott has maintained his abysmal form from last season, and Penrice seems to have regressed from the first few weeks. But I still think he's a big clown and should be replaced asap.

would agree with that, aye. first word that always springs to mind when I see him on the team sheet is "clumsy".

reminds me of Willie Kinniburgh.

Archived