Partick v Queens

That was as enjoyable a time I’ve had at Firhill in the last two years (admittedly that wouldn’t be difficult). Not only was it good to see a Thistle win, I actually thought it was a pretty entertaining game as well. Plenty of drama, some moments of quality from us as well.

Fitzpatrick was unreal today. I didn’t think he was great during the cup game last week, his goal aside, but he was given free reign to run at the defenders and take risks - most of which came off today. Spittal was also excellent until he got clattered and lost a bit of his spark and Cardle before he injured his hamstring. Hopefully that isn’t too serious, and he was just starting to get up to speed fitness-wise.

Surprised Queens kept 11 men on the park, as there was a period of about 20 minutes in the second half where the heads seemed to go. How Dobbie wasn’t booked for constantly arguing with the ref is beyond me. He was the one player looking to make things happen for QOTS today, and was let down by some piss poor service, which may be down to the threadbare squad more than anything judging by what the Queens fans on here are saying. Stupid penalty conceded by McCarthy, who was utterly atrocious when he came on (at least he sees the funny side, judging by his Twitter) but it was massive that we managed to see that out. Roy looked onside for the disallowed goal to me from where I was sitting, so I’d like to see it again.

Looking a lot more positive than two weeks ago. Interesting to see if we can keep up that level of performance against ICT next week.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Queens selflessly donated 3 points to Partick today in order to help them stay up as we need their vast support next season to help swell the attendances. I expect us to do the same for Falkirk next week. We don't want Alloa in the League.

Dry yer eyes m8 :lol:

Thought everyone was decent today; Spittal, Fitzpatrick and Bannigan in particular. Penrice probably the worst of the starters. 

Although we were hanging on a bit in the final 10 mins or so, it was pleasing that we still managed to create a few good chances on the counter. Also looked to me like Roy’s goal should have stood. 

3 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Thought everyone was decent today; Spittal, Fitzpatrick and Bannigan in particular. Penrice probably the worst of the starters. 

Although we were hanging on a bit in the final 10 mins or so, it was pleasing that we still managed to create a few good chances on the counter. Also looked to me like Roy’s goal should have stood. 

Doolan ran about a lot. 6/10 for his effort.

51 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Important win for Thistle today. In all honesty they could have more than 6 points from games against us given they were denied an absolute stonewall penalty late on in our 1-0 win at Palmerston.

There would be very few QOS fans who expected to win today though we clearly were capable of doing so. 

Despite the defeat today we remain in the top 4 but the fact remains that beyond our best 11/12 players our squad is threadbare in terms of quality and depth. Our bench today had only 5 players on it and of the 4 outfield players only Bell has any more than minimal if any first team experience. That`s how it is so as things stand so we just have to suck it up  and to Naysmith`s credit he doesn`t make a huge issue of that. 

My instinct is that our lack of depth means we won`t make the top 4 though a couple of decent signings before the window closes might change that, 

If Low can stay fit he can be a big player for us though given his playing history it sounds like that may be a big if.

Agree with this. Thistle deserved it. After a bright opening by us , Thistle won midfield for most of the rest of the game.  We really missed Low’s bite and creativity. Thistle did well out wide and got dangerous crosses into the box. Dobbie got very little decent service and didn’t have his best shooting boots on. Our set pieces were pretty ineffectual.  I would  give Dykes, Stirling, Mercer and Martin pass marks. As others have said, we are down to the bare bones.

3 minutes ago, Slacker said:

We were in line and I wasn’t surprised it was chalked off. Well, considering it was the Lino who couldn’t see a legit corner to us in the first half from 10 feet away, maybe I was a bit surprised.

12 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Had at least two decent efforts on target - more than he usually manages these days.

Would have buried the second chance back in the day.

Our small squad was really at fault today every player gave 100%. but you just can't play boys who have had no experience against men .Our bench only had 4 subs the 3 outfield players between them would be lucky to have 10 apperences.

Almost got a point at the end  did not think Thistle played well but they had the  experience to win the game when Queens got any pressure down went a Thistle player with injury  

The ref how did he not see your keeper save the ball with both hands well outside the box no wonder Dobbie was complaining time to move on and try to find 11 fit players for Tuesday night 

12 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Our small squad was really at fault today every player gave 100%. but you just can't play boys who have had no experience against men .Our bench only had 4 subs the 3 outfield players between them would be lucky to have 10 apperences.

Almost got a point at the end  did not think Thistle played well but they had the  experience to win the game when Queens got any pressure down went a Thistle player with injury  

The ref how did he not see your keeper save the ball with both hands well outside the box no wonder Dobbie was complaining time to move on and try to find 11 fit players for Tuesday night 

^^^ more tears from the Tory Borderers. 

Delicious!

Laughing-Goose.gif.e8f049eb4edc8b43b7499f19cadac515.gifimgur_reaction.gif.3905686291abbc2a998894cc6c4f37b8.gif

It’s games like that show what Nicky Low adds to which makes it worse that he is made out of poppadoms,  somebody to put pressure on Thistle and to add some sort of composure would have made a big difference.  The issues came from there and our attempts to rectify it made it worse, frankly it was a miracle we weren’t 3/4 down by the time Partick did their level best to undo their good 75 minutes beforehand.

Firstly Connor Murray was totally lost as a centre mid, he backed off to let Thistle do what they wanted really and wasn’t able to stop anyone breaking when he was on the ball was so passive that it killed any movement as he jinked about to pass it sideways, Bell was similar for a pretty nothing performance. We put Stirling in that free role to counteract the dearth of it in the middle which caused  a gaping chasm on the left.  On both sides Thistle got so many crosses in,  the second goal whilst fortuitous came from Queens switching off a throw and letting a low cross in. Kyle Jacobs had about as bad a game as I’d seen from him, you can say Low was a miss and he had to cover for two passive central players but you can’t blame other people for not being able to pass 5 yards sideways or kick a ball away from goal at a corner.

The frustration definitely boiled over, I thought the Thistle players were all over the referee. I was certain  Dykes was going to be off when the referee went to the assistant but I think it was a fair call to book him rather than a red as it was a general frustration foul rather than  anything malicious. It got very chippy at the  end with  dumb fouls from us but it isn’t a common thing to be like that from us and it was very annoying considering how well we’ve played recently so I can see why they were getting wound up.

Todd didn’t look right for the majority of the first half but if you play this strategy of having a tiny squad then you can’t act surprised  when people get injured. It’s almost inviting people to get hurt and IMO we aren’t doing right by the players. In just about every other sport  is focusing on having depth and managing players health over long seasons yet we insist on grinding them down until their hamstring pops. I know we have our reasons and it’s worked thus far this year but longer term we’ll see with this squad the impact of doing this.

A suicidal ball from Maguire, who looks like a downgrade on Semple, let Partick break away for what should have been a third, but it was flagged offside.  
Jacobs continually gave the ball away again, not sure why he seemingly can’t complete simple passes. Dykes was lucky to stay on after aiming a couple of needless kicks at a Thistle defender towards the end - was surprised it was only yellow, but the ref was utterly hopeless throughout, rivalling the Queens defence for ineptitude.

1. Maguire is a 20 year old boy ffs. He’s going to make mistakes he’s not a seasoned pro, yet.

2. Yes, Jacobs was poor, but he’s been brilliant the past couple of weeks. We know he’s not a passer of the ball, if he could pass like Nicky Low while doing his defensive duties he wouldn’t be at Queen of the South. He had to try and play more today due to Low’s absence, nonetheless he was still poor.

3. I didn’t see any kicks from Dykes, although he was pulling him and a booking was fair.

4. The ref wasn’t THAT bad. Anyone who genuinely thinks Marshall should’ve been sent off for his challenge on Fitzpatrick clearly doesn’t know football. A booking, yes, not a sending off. Jacobs’ was probably the likeliest considering how high he flew in. I don’t recall any moments of huge controversy, the last minute offside shout looked onside, that isn’t the referee’s fault it’s the linesman’s. Either way, nothing would’ve changed. Partick still would’ve got 3 deserved points.

Every time we lose a game some fans go into meltdown, we’ve literally lost 2 games in 12 games in one of the most competitive leagues, if not the most competitive, in the UK.

We have just 14 outfield players who have started a game for us. Including Bell and Murray who aren’t quite there, YET. Take away those 2, and we only have 12 outfield players to have ever started a game for us. And we’re sitting 4th. Ahead of Dunfermline, ICT, Falkirk, Morton, Partick etc etc.

Our budget is tiny compared to them.

If any team manages to win 3 league games in a row in this league, they’ll be doing extremely well.

1 minute ago, Thistle4eva said:

Was told today that we actually had Dobbie up at Firhill and he wanted to sign for us but we weren't willing to give him more than a 1 year deal. If true what a f**k up that was and yes it was from someone who knows him.

Not even Gerry and Jaqui are that fucking stupid. That's like refusing a winning lottery ticket.

1 minute ago, Thistle4eva said:

Was told today that we actually had Dobbie up at Firhill and he wanted to sign for us but we weren't willing to give him more than a 1 year deal. If true what a f**k up that was and yes it was from someone who knows him.

Not even Gerry and Jaqui are that fucking stupid. That's like refusing a winning lottery ticket.

Archived