St Johnstone v Livingston, Wednesday 23rd January 2019

Swap McMillan for Kennedy and that's what I'd go for as well. Livi's main threat is set pieces, so Gordon in there alongside Joe and Jase, the two Super J's at the back.
Wouldnt it be good if Liam Gordon's first name was Jordan. 
Jordan Gordon..... [emoji55]

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Murray Davidson is back in the squad too.

Manager has to choose between Davidson, Craig, Callachan, Alston, Wotherspoon, O'Halloran, Swanson, Kennedy, Watt, McMillan and Kane, for the five, maybe six, midfield/attack positions.

Scougall continuing as a ballboy.

Think we’ll be struggling to get anything here. Saints doing really well, and we’re a bit short up front. Can see Hardie up front on his own with Sibbald or Pittman in behind him.

Hopefully Halkett is fit too, would be an obvious loss but throws up the question early of who can replace him. Personally, I’d go with Lamie.

I honestly have no idea how we'll line up here. We got success with 3 at the back away to Livi but probably play our best football with 4 at the back. We've also got the ridiculous quandry of having too many options in the advanced positions :lol: 

I'd guess that we'll probably go with mostly the same side as played against Hamilton. I reckon Kane might drop out with the shape of the team probably dictating who comes in for him. If we are going 3-5-2 then it'll be Gordon. If not, it'll probably be either Alston, Swanson or Davidson depending on how we want to play this game. O'Halloran will probably end up on the bench if his registration comes through in time.

I'd probably go

Clark

Foster Kerr Shaughnessy Tanser

Callachan Craig

Alston Kennedy Wotherspoon

Watt

I think we’ve got to get Kennedy into the middle as soon as possible. He looks a little lost on the right hand side to be honest, since he can’t cut in and hit it. Plus he doesn’t relish the defensive stuff which as an attacked I can understand. He’s also more likely to take one of the lay offs or passes that Watt produces, more so than Kane that’s for sure and he’s got the pace to run away from a defence.

13 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Hearing Halkett and Gallagher are both doubtful, along with Menga being suspended we are really limited for this one. 

Not looking good for us at all, in what was already going to be a tough game. 

Initially thought Halkett and Gallagher both out could probably mean we'll go with a back 4 (and we've just loaned out our only RB :lol:), unless we're happy with Lamie, van Schaik and Lithgow starting in a 3. But even with a back 4 those 3 would all start anyway.

Kelly

van Schaik  -  Lithgow  -  Lamie

Lawless  -  Byrne  -  Pittman  -  Jacobs  -  Wylde

Hardie  -  Erskine

or

Kelly

Lawson  -  van Schaik  -  Lithgow  -  Lamie

Lawless  -  Byrne  -  Sibbald/Pittman  -  Jacobs  -  Wylde

Hardie

17 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Hearing Halkett and Gallagher are both doubtful, along with Menga being suspended we are really limited for this one. 

Not looking good for us at all, in what was already going to be a tough game. 

We'd really struggle then. Probably team of :-

Kelly

Van Shaik  Lithgow  Lamie

Lawless Pittman Byrne Jacobs Wylde

Hardie   Erskine

Bench

Stewart, Clark, Sibbald,  Cadden, Hamilton, De Vita and Lawson

Without both Halkett and Gallacher, I think we'll struggle, especially against a well-drilled and organised St Johnstone team

8 minutes ago, Widge said:

I think we’ve got to get Kennedy into the middle as soon as possible. He looks a little lost on the right hand side to be honest, since he can’t cut in and hit it. Plus he doesn’t relish the defensive stuff which as an attacked I can understand. He’s also more likely to take one of the lay offs or passes that Watt produces, more so than Kane that’s for sure and he’s got the pace to run away from a defence.

I think what you're saying is that, basically, Matty Kennedy is a much better player than Chris Kane, and in a position he probably wouldn't say is his strongest.

A position I tend to agree with. I think Kane is a fine squad filler but would much rather see Kennedy, Watt and probably O'Halloran's names on the team sheet up front over Kane. Jury is out on McMillan.

There's always the option of

Kelly

Lawson - Van Shaik - Lithgow - Lamie

Byrne - Jacobs - Pittman

Lawless - Erskine - Hardie

Reckon we've got the players to play 433. Ideally we'd have McMillan at RB but Lawson looks better defensively than going forward plus his delivery from set pieces is outstanding. Midfield 3 pick themselves and the front 3 could be a combo of Hardie, Menga (if fit), Erskine, Lawless, wylde, Hamilton or Cadden.

Clark
Foster Kerr Shaughnessy Tanser
MOH Craig Davidson Wotherspoon
Watt Kennedy

Wouldn’t be upset if we started Swanson for MOH (if he’s not ready) and he swapped sides with Spoony, and if Callachan started ahead of Davidson.

Definitely need Kennedy back up top beside Watt though.

100% agree.

I'm a little skeptical that we'll see Van Shaik if I'm honest. I'm concerned about how little game time that he's been given so far - and I'm a little afraid that Holt doesn't rate him and wont get him in there. Which would give us a set up a little more like:

Kelly

Lawson - Lithgow - Lamie - Cadden

Lawless - Byrne - Pittman - Jacobs - Erskine

Hardie

Can anyone who's seen HVS in the reserves comment? How does he look?

13 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

I'm a little skeptical that we'll see Van Shaik if I'm honest. I'm concerned about how little game time that he's been given so far - and I'm a little afraid that Holt doesn't rate him and wont get him in there. Which would give us a set up a little more like:

Kelly

Lawson - Lithgow - Lamie - Cadden

Lawless - Byrne - Pittman - Jacobs - Erskine

Hardie

Can anyone who's seen HVS in the reserves comment? How does he look?

Looks very very good every week

9 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Looks very very good every week

Glad to hear it! Perhaps my concerns are unfounded. I'd have thought that as Halkett is 95% likely to leave at the end of the season, we'd be slowly blooding his replacement - although perhaps that's the plan for the second half of the season when we're more likely to have games that mean less.

13 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

There's always the option of

Kelly

Lawson - Van Shaik - Lithgow - Lamie

Byrne - Jacobs - Pittman

Lawless - Erskine - Hardie

Reckon we've got the players to play 433. Ideally we'd have McMillan at RB but Lawson looks better defensively than going forward plus his delivery from set pieces is outstanding. Midfield 3 pick themselves and the front 3 could be a combo of Hardie, Menga (if fit), Erskine, Lawless, wylde, Hamilton or Cadden.

Lawson has been at fault for at least 2 of the goals against us and think it was him that deflected Halkett's great tackle into our net, really don't rate him defensively. 

Wonder how Miller is doing, sure I saw him in those Portugal training pics, would start him and Hardie up front if he's fit to play.

Archived