St Johnstone v Livingston, Wednesday 23rd January 2019

To be fair to Livi. What we do this season is keep clean sheets and even if we don’t play well have been taking our chances. First and foremost don’t concede don’t lose. 11 clean sheets in 14 games is simply outstanding though.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frustrating night, very similar to Sunday, not a lot in the game just lacked that bit of cutting edge and that final pass/cross. 

St Johnstone are excellent at what they do, so well organised and give very little away, seems like they will be that team for us this year. 

We aren’t on a great run just now and are bit like the walking wounded, believe Halkett and Gallagher both played despite only being 70% fit, I don’t think we are playing particularly badly just now either, as I say just lacking that killer ball in the final third of the pitch. 

Frustrating is the go to word just now, I think a draw would’ve been about right but the one real chance that came either teams way was taken and that’s the difference between the teams. 

Pie was outstanding though so despite the disappointing result I got a good feed.

Onto Sunday, type of game that will suit us, no pressure to get anything and can sit in and try and hit on the break. 

Didn’t think there was a lot in it tonight 0-0 probably would’ve been a fair result. Fair play to St. Johnstone though they’re a though nut to crack and very good on the counter with lots of pace. When we were breaking forward though we seem so slow in comparison and it always breaks down and doesn’t lead to anything.

Some baffling decisions from the referee and never seen a set of fans scream for hand ball as much before [emoji23] Nicky Cadden isn’t up to the standard in this league I’d get him out on loan.

17 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

Was it against the run of play as Willie Miller is making it sound?

No. Pretty even game to be fair. 

As usual, Dallas did his best to spoil it. 

One goal was always going to win it. 

I'm just happy we scored it. Makes sitting in the cold worth it. Just. 

One of those games on a -3 night that has you sitting questioning your life choices.

A great 3 points against a very well organised,decent side.  Livi could feel hard done by that they didn't get a draw at least.

I know I'll get stick for this after a win, but I didn't like our team selection beforehand, and liked it even less the way the game went. It felt like we'd tried to shoehorn Callachan and Davidson  into the same team with Ross playing as the supporting central player and Kennedy once more shoved out wide, either that or we were too worried about cancelling out Livi in centre midfield.

Livi dominated the first 20 and Watt looked very isolated. We then started pushing further up and had a lot more of the ball without creating much apart from a couple of long range efforts and a blocked Spoony shot. Fairly even first half overall I would say.

Callachan went wide and Kennedy went up front after the break, but we struggled to get much fluent play going and, just like Saturday, careless passes at key moments lost us the ball. Plus it felt we were too slow in our build up allowing Livi to get set up, and they are really hard to break down once they do so. 

Poor delivery into the box from us most of the evening. Eventually forced the goal with Murray following in a saved header I thought, though Willie Miller didn't seem to think it was saved on the radio. 

Great defensive performance with players throwing themselves in front of shots etc and putting their body on the line, and a great save by Clark from a free kick in the second half.

Spoony had a bit of a nightmare, Callachan was ineffective but wasn't played in his strongest position.  Quite a few others didn't contribute football wise, but the effort and commitment from everyone could not be faulted. Thought Davidson, Craig and Watt all had very good games, along with Tanser, Kerr and Clark.

Very good Livi support on a bitterly cold night. 

Brilliant 3 points especially with other results this evening.

0-0 would’ve been a fair result - I think our goal was the only real clear chance in the whole game, with Kennedy getting on the end of a decent Foster cross and Davidson in the right place to smash home the rebound. 

Kerr was absolutely outstanding tonight. Hardie gave him as hard a game as anyone  outside Morelos and he managed to contain him well. He can do absolutely everything a top defender needs to. I just want this window to close now as I worry someone will try and pinch him before it shuts. 

Had to be Murray Davidson. He's been a St Johnstone stalwart for many years now but was once  another from the Livi youth system sold on the cheap by thon Massone.

Cannae buy a point just now. Another hard luck night.

Livingston started well and you are always wary when they get a set situation to try and put the ball in the box but when Saints settled, I thought we controlled the first half and realised the key was moving the ball with one touch and switching play which opened up some space. Despite that, we didn't get in behind them and couldn't complain at going on level at the break.

I'd hoped that if we kept up the pressure it would tell but we actually fell right out of the game in the second half and Livingston had a lot of territory but, like us the first half, struggled to turn it into anything meaningful.

Pleased for Kane to play his part in the goal, nicking the ball off the toe of the centre back before crossing for Watt, who laid off to Foster for the touch past the defender then cross.

Cold night but plenty of graft and there wasn't a shirked challenge from anyone in blue. Need to mention Jason Kerr though, who just gets better by the game. This guy could be some player.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

11 clean sheets in 14 games is simply outstanding though.

It's an incredible run.

Think that be 15 clean sheets in 28 matches in all competitions this season.  

For league matches only, 11 clean sheets in 21 games.

Wonder what our top flight record number of clean sheets for a season is? @Radford

It was a really even, scrappy game that I thought was destined for 0-0 but we took the chance when it came.

It’s a huge win for us given Dundee’s win at Hearts and to give us that 7 point lead over Livi. Horrible game on a freezing night - great result.

That cold was brutal, and I didn't get a chorizo pie. Football was brutal to watch in parts too.  Clearly that big refereeing pow-wow that the managers had last week has done f**k all good. 

2 similar sides tonight, but for my money that's the last 2 home games that Saints have played below standard but got the points (have to say Livi put in a better show than Hamilton. Center backs (esp Kerr) were excellent as was Craig. Thought Callachan was playing with a lot of committment and more energy than others and was a bit surprised to see him hooked. Injury? Zander again, apart from not coming for one of the corners, had a good game. 

So definite positives and a great result but there's a few things niggling that I'm worried will cause problems for us. Spoony seems tho have reverted to type, Kennedy was a bit lackluste by his high standards again (appreciate he's a bit out of position but he wasn't running at defenders or cutting in much), though Foster had his poorest game this season and fell into arguing with his team-mates again. For a team that's supposed to have pace and attacking threat we're not creating many chances. Also Watt, despite getting a couple recently, still seems short of confidence in front of goal but he got in some great positions tonight and he's just so good at holding the ball. 

Big game on Saturday at Hearts. Hoping we've shaken off the ring-rust and we'll start to move up through the gears. 

Massive win. First time seeing this Livi team in the flesh. Plenty of hard work and fight, and have quality on the ball, their only issue will be how predictable they are, it's something we've seen hinder Motherwell this season, and Livingston are headed the same way, be interesting how they react to that.

Think we, yet again, struggled against a back three, same issues we've had numerous times against Partick. Livingstons directness seen the midfield pinned back and they absolutely dominated early on. We worked our way back in.

Didn't agree with the change of shape in the second half, felt we'd started to control things, then he seemed to move Wotherspoon central and let Kennedy roam, which just handed Livi the flanks and they started to take control. A bit disheartening to have Alston, Swanson and MOH on the bench, yet see Kane come on, but fair play to him for his role at the goal.

Highlight of the match was someone sarcastically shouting "waaaaaay" a fraction before Halketts free kick dipped and almost went straight in the top corner :lol: was disappointed by how often he absolutely hounded the officials btw, every single time there was a stop in play he was either screaming at a linesman or the ref.

Pish game on a freezin nite.

Thought it was destined for a  0-0 but saints took the one chance they got.

As for us,plenty of graft and the ball but as soon as it went near the saints box it just fell to pieces.

Saints are pretty much like us but a yard quicker.

Onto the scum on sunday,hopefully we raise our game once more.

On 23/01/2019 at 23:03, PauloPerth said:

Wonder what our top flight record number of clean sheets for a season is? 

Since promotion:

• 16: 2013/14
  • 15: 2016/17, 2014/15, 2011/12
  • 14: 2010/11
  • 9: 2017/18, 2012/13
  • 7: 2015/16
  • 5: 2009/10

I'll look further back if we get to 16 shutouts. 

31 minutes ago, Radford said:

Since promotion:

• 16: 2013/14
  • 15: 2016/17, 2014/15, 2011/12
  • 14: 2010/11
  • 9: 2017/18, 2012/13
  • 7: 2015/16
  • 5: 2009/10

I'll look further back if we get to 16 shutouts. 

Sorry, didn't mean for you to go look it up!  I thought you'd posted that amongst the list of record winning streaks, away wins etc a month or two back.

I remember the season after the Cup win when we had a lack of strikers, the defence and keeper being excellent and a fair few 1-0 wins, so not surprised that's up there.

But I think of the Cup winning season as one where we banged in loads of goals with May obviously on fire, but had forgotten how effective we must have been in keeping teams out. Apart from Dundee United, obviously, I remember them struggling to score against us quite regularly.

I had a quick look back there at the season we finished 3rd under Sandy Clark thinking it might have been quite high, 14 shutouts that season.  

Archived