St Johnstone v Livingston, Wednesday 23rd January 2019

The first of a few midweek games over the next few weeks, the ingenious system we have in Scottish football to squeeze in a winter break.  Just as the weather is potentially turning wintry as well, who could have foreseen it?  Apart from absolutely fucking everybody.

Anyway, we will have had a days extra rest with the Hearts v Livi cup tie on Sunday. Has worked out well for us with us being at Tynecastle next Saturday.

Disjointed second half against Accies, hopefully we get a lot more fluency in our play after getting the first game back out of the way. Was very even at Almondvale, with Saints being solid after scoring in the first 5 minutes, so expecting another tough game.  Our recent habit of scoring in the first minute is very welcome.

For the game through there we matched them up with 3 centre backs, wouldn't be surprised to see us do the same again.

Matt Kennedy has been one of the standout attacking players in the league since moving to a central position up front or just in behind. I get that we are very much about horses for courses in our team selections and that's worked really well for us, but I can't help feeling we lose a fair bit of our attacking edge when we play him out wide.

Clark

Kerr Gordon Shaughnessy

Foster                                            Tanser

Callachan Craig

Alston

Watt Kennedy

More attacking option might be Swanson in place of Alston.  I think we'll see a bit of rotation over the next few weeks anyway.  No reflection on Spoony, who did okay today, just a formation change.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is MOH likely to be ready? Davidson back soon?

I wouldn’t change much-probably bring in one of either Swanson or MOH in place of Kane, push Kennedy up front with Watt and play Swanson/MOH on the left with Spoony right.

Didn't go to Livingston, so don't know how effective the formation was at matching up. We spent the final 25 minutes or so yesterday playing a diamond midfield, so wonder if that's a plan.

Watching them against Hearts, can see why we'll likely go to a back three. Hardie and Menga just sit on the centre halves and matching up like that will lead to issues. Back five leaves someone spare and allows the full backs to get forward.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Didn't go to Livingston, so don't know how effective the formation was at matching up. We spent the final 25 minutes or so yesterday playing a diamond midfield, so wonder if that's a plan.

We scored after 5 minutes and after that it was a fairly comfortable, even game with very few chances either way and just a bit of a battle on a freezing cold night.

30 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

We scored after 5 minutes and after that it was a fairly comfortable, even game with very few chances either way and just a bit of a battle on a freezing cold night.

They remind me of us, a bit. In terms of they'll be happy to keep their shape, try and pounce on any mistake the opposition make, and make sure they do nothing stupid in their own backline.

Imagine it'll be a case of "first goals the winner" on Wednesday too.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Halkett and Menga likely to miss this?

Hopefully Menga, he flatters to deceive, disaster if Halkett misses it. 

Been really impressed by St Johnstone, they’ve also had a decent January. 

St johnstone one of very few clubs who have stood up to us this season and came out on top, wasn’t a classic and I don’t think this one will be either. 

Didn't think we played too badly today, just lacked a bit of composure when we got into good areas. A draw and a replay I think would’ve been about right but not to be. 

This is as tough a game as any, I’d take a point from this and move on. 

Will away fans all be in the main stand for this ? 

9 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Hopefully Menga, he flatters to deceive, disaster if Halkett misses it. 

Been really impressed by St Johnstone, they’ve also had a decent January. 

St johnstone one of very few clubs who have stood up to us this season and came out on top, wasn’t a classic and I don’t think this one will be either. 

Didn't think we played too badly today, just lacked a bit of composure when we got into good areas. A draw and a replay I think would’ve been about right but not to be. 

This is as tough a game as any, I’d take a point from this and move on. 

Will away fans all be in the main stand for this ? 

Would imagine so.  Hamilton only had around 130-140 supporters on Saturday and they  were all in Main Stand.

With respect cannot see you guys bringing loads of supporters but wish you would as it would mean more income for us.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

Massive game for both sides, a Saints win and Livi might have to start thinking of dead rubbers for four months, a Livi win and they’re right back in the top six mix. 

I’d be tempted to stick with the 4 at the back for this one, in an ideal world we’d play to maximise our strengths instead of playing to combat Livi’s, especially consider they’re no great shakes on the road. 

Tommy will play it safe.

I'd go with same defence, midfield of Spoony, Callachan, Craig and Danny with Kennedy off Watt. That team gives the option of changing formations easily to combat anything Livi do.

*tin hat on*

If we're going 3-5-2, I'd have Craig, Callachan and Alston in the middle, with McMillan and Watt up front..

48 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Ooft.

I just think well need bigger, more physical, players.

Alston and Callachan have the legs to stop Craig being run over by Livis three, with both also liking to get forward. 

McMillan Is smarter than Kane. If we're needing someone to be able to win balls, and link the play, I'd rather him than Kane, and I think Livi will compress play to the point where Kennedy wouldn't be finding much space.

Having Kennedy, Swanson, MOH and Kane on the bench gives multiple ways to change it when the game opens up/defenders legs get tired

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Halkett and Menga likely to miss this?

Menga is suspended for this one anyway. Hopefully Halkett is fine, apparently went over his ankle so hoping it's not too serious.

Kelly

Gallagher  -  Halkett  -  Lithgow

Lawless  -  Byrne  -  Pittman  -  Jacobs  -  Lamie

Hardie  -  Erskine

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

*tin hat on*

If we're going 3-5-2, I'd have Craig, Callachan and Alston in the middle, with McMillan and Watt up front..

Swap McMillan for Kennedy and that's what I'd go for as well. Livi's main threat is set pieces, so Gordon in there alongside Joe and Jase, the two Super J's at the back.

Wouldnt it be good if Liam Gordon's first name was Jordan. 

Archived