Scottish Cup 5th Round Draw

PauloPerth

Ok, if it'll make you sensitive types happy, I'll say that while St Johnstone away would be an equally demanding tie (despite the fact that they've finished beneath Aberdeen in the table for the last several years, and sit beneath them currently too) it would be a significantly shorter trip, making Aberdeen away a worse draw.
Thanks for calling me neither a c**t or a p***k though.  It's nice touches like that, that make all the difference. 

Don’t worry, stenhousemuir will beat us and you can stroke their ego and say it’s a better draw than st Johnstone away.

P.S. they’re a bit sensitive at the suggestion Aberdeen might be better than them.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

What kind of thing would that be? A sequence of 6 numbers with one missing, drawn from the first five numbers? There's about a 1.5 % chance of exactly that particular thing happening, which would be quite low if that was the *only* pattern your addled mind would be trying to glean from the numbers. Once you add in all the other patterns you'd be looking for (five even numbers in a row! Premiership teams all getting home draws! A straight sequence of eight numbers with two missing!) you'd probably get that chance of a 'non-random' sequence happening - by your standards -  somewhere around 100%

Complete sequences, or sequences with one number missing drawn as the first or last few numbers out are the only patterns I was talking about. If there is a 1.5% chance of that happening, then it definitely happens far more often than once or twice in a hundred draws. Quite often it is the high numbers that come out first, like as though they settled in the middle of the bowl. As The Master pointed out, dropping them into the bowl should break the sequence, but it doesn’t seem to. And when they stir them, they tend to stay broadly in the same place in relation to each other because they just move them all round in a circle.

As I said, never going to get a completely random draw, but the sequences seem to happen more often than they should.  But maybe they don’t. Just something I’ve noticed and once you notice it, you look for it. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Don’t worry, stenhousemuir will beat us and you can stroke their ego and say it’s a better draw than st Johnstone away.

P.S. they’re a bit sensitive at the suggestion Aberdeen might be better than them.

Aberdeen better than saints? Did I sell you something at the weekend?

8 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Decent draw for us, not a money spinner but a chance to reach the last 8. Partick will be pretty happy with it too.

We’ve already beaten them this season when Archibald was in charge and they will probably be a different prospect this time around.

Looking at the 11 starters + 2 subs that played that day... Storer, Scobbie, and Erskine have since left the club, and Keown, Mutombo and Ntambwe haven't been named in a squad since new year and may well also be gone by then. Sneddon has been replaced in goal as well. So over half the guys that took the field that day probably won't play this time around.

Of course, whether their replacements are any better is probably going to determine whether you get to pump us out of 2 cups in one season.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes.

I hadn't clocked that particular towering insecurity before.  It's an interesting one.

Don’t share the negativity concerning the draw. If we get past Dundee, and Aberdeen dispose of Stenny, then a trip to Aberdeen sounds like a good day out: always liked Aberdeen - beautiful city, good stadium, and a chance to test ourselves against a decent footballing side who haven’t been firing on all cylinders this term. If they can pull 10k yesterday against a side at the bottom of League One, then it should be a decent crowd, certainly much better than yesterday’s woeful attendance at Dundee. 
They’d be strong favourites of course, but if Stenny can get a draw there, then there’s no need to go into the tie believing that it’s a lost cause. Still got very good memories of how gracious the Aberdeen fans were when we beat them in the Cup semi in 2008. Looking forward to it, assuming we and Aberdeen both progress.
I'm maybe just getting miserable but I couldn't care if it'd be a good day out. When it comes to football I only care about Queens progressing. I'd have been happier going to the shithole that is Methil if it meant an easier fixture. I'd rather be in a game where we're matching up rather than "testing" ourselves.

Dundee will probably beat us now so it'll all be irrelevant [emoji38]

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Their fans are great fun. They won't sell out half the stadium, but the club will announce 40k and they'll be all over Twitter mocking the 400 Saints fans who travelled.

Your laughing and they are mugging themselves off if they do that as you would get your share of the "40000" gate. 

20 minutes ago, Flash said:

Complete sequences, or sequences with one number missing drawn as the first or last few numbers out are the only patterns I was talking about. If there is a 1.5% chance of that happening, then it definitely happens far more often than once or twice in a hundred draws. Quite often it is the high numbers that come out first, like as though they settled in the middle of the bowl. As The Master pointed out, dropping them into the bowl should break the sequence, but it doesn’t seem to. And when they stir them, they tend to stay broadly in the same place in relation to each other because they just move them all round in a circle.

As I said, never going to get a completely random draw, but the sequences seem to happen more often than they should.  But maybe they don’t. Just something I’ve noticed and once you notice it, you look for it. 

Okay, the fourth round draw started 7, 27, 11, 16, 4, 5, 30

Last year's fifth round started off 8. 13, 10, 16, 11, 2

Last year's 4th round begin 13, 18, 5, 4, 2, 31

And the year before, Rod Stewart and Alan Stubbs drew out 4, 7, 11, 8, 14, 10 in that order.

I don't see anything there that warrants your complaints about numbers being pulled out in sequence, or high numbers coming out first in a manner that isn't easily explained by happenstance

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm maybe just getting miserable but I couldn't care if it'd be a good day out. When it comes to football I only care about Queens progressing. I'd have been happier going to the shithole that is Methil if it meant an easier fixture. I'd rather be in a game where we're matching up rather than "testing" ourselves.

Dundee will probably beat us now so it'll all be irrelevant emoji38.png

Yes, I'm all about progress when it comes to Cups too.

Any novelty attached to playing 'big teams' has long gone, given that half of them were recently in our division.  I'd feel better about it at Palmerston, given that it would obviously involve less hassle to watch for those of us resident in Dumfries.  It would also enhance our chances of that progress thing.

Away to a very strong side far away though, is the worst combo.  

54 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Not too unhappy with that draw but why are  we always away from home?

Apparently our last home tie in the Scottish cup was Patrick thistle in the 5th round in 15/16. That was our only home tie that year in a run to the semis.

Only had one home tie in 14/15 too and that was Celtic in the QF. 

Think of all the exotic places we get to visit.  Like... fucking Paisley.

4 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Okay, the fourth round draw started 7, 27, 11, 16, 4, 5, 30

Last year's fifth round started off 8. 13, 10, 16, 11, 2

Last year's 4th round begin 13, 18, 5, 4, 2, 31

And the year before, Rod Stewart and Alan Stubbs drew out 4, 7, 11, 8, 14, 10 in that order.

I don't see anything there that warrants your complaints about numbers being pulled out in sequence, or high numbers coming out first in a manner that isn't easily explained by happenstance

Fair enough. It wasn’t so much sequences as sequential numbers being drawn close together, but that isn’t really showing up either. It was also across all the cups, including the Irn Bru. However, rather than suggest you check them all, I’m prepared to accept I got it wrong.

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Your laughing and they are mugging themselves off if they do that as you would get your share of the "40000" gate. 

They'd probably happily take the loss simply to try and hide the fact their fans are shite.

Pretty happy with Hibs away, as its usually a good day out, even though i'm not optimisitc  about a win.

Scotland are playing Ireland in the 6 Nation on the same day at Murrayfield, so public transport should be interesting.

Guest DAVIDB69
Not too unhappy with that draw but why are  we always away from home?
Apparently our last home tie in the Scottish cup was Patrick thistle in the 5th round in 15/16. That was our only home tie that year in a run to the semis.
Only had one home tie in 14/15 too and that was Celtic in the QF. 

Compare our luck with away draws and hibs luck with home draws

30 minutes ago, Flash said:

Fair enough. It wasn’t so much sequences as sequential numbers being drawn close together, but that isn’t really showing up either. It was also across all the cups, including the Irn Bru. However, rather than suggest you check them all, I’m prepared to accept I got it wrong.

Never, ever accept you've got it wrong.

Pretty much captures my feelings as well.

Not sure about us getting hammered tbh. We can hold our own against Mcgregors mercenaries but the Mallard is fine twice a season any more gets a bit boring. Was hoping for something different

15 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Where can I see the highlights for the games of the last round? Did Sportscene do a show for it?

The weekends Sportscene should be up on the bbc Iplayer ..If not , im sure William Hill have some highlights from most games up on their youtube page .

Archived