Friday Night Football - Ayr United v Dundee United (2nd v 3rd)

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't really believe that Crawford got the motm from bt.

Doc in the middle, rose so dominant at the back, mcdaid with the spark, all worthy recipients.

No-one in an ayr shirt had a poor game, but those three stood out.

Tbf McDaid was going to get it but Sutton didn’t want to agree with McCoist so gave it to Crawford. At least that’s what was joked about after the game.

It was clearly Doc for me. He absolutely strolled it for me and if he keeps it up Kerr will struggle to get back in the team.

Tbf McDaid was going to get it but Sutton didn’t want to agree with McCoist so gave it to Crawford. At least that’s what was joked about after the game.

It was clearly Doc for me. He absolutely strolled it for me and if he keeps it up Kerr will struggle to get back in the team.
I think it's the other way round, mccoist not wanting to agree with Sutton. Mccoist mentions Crawford running the midfield at ht, but I think it was based on McCall telling him how important Crawford was to the team.

Anyway, it's nice to be debating the best performer for a change.

I think it's the other way round, mccoist not wanting to agree with Sutton. Mccoist mentions Crawford running the midfield at ht, but I think it was based on McCall telling him how important Crawford was to the team.

Anyway, it's nice to be debating the best performer for a change.

Wee bit annoying that both he and McDonald were questioning why he never came off the bench last week when he was actually sitting at home watching it on the box.

And assistant manager “Sandy Robertson” telling McDonald before the game about Moore needing confidence. I like BT but apart from Sutton and Craigen I’m not a huge fan on the pundits. McCoist is generally good entertainment but knows very little.

Doc was always a cracking player.  Did people really forget that?
That's the best I've seen him. Always had potential control a game, but never quite did. Also a wee bit too sideways sometimes. But not on Friday, that was a masterclass.

41 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:
Doc was always a cracking player.  Did people really forget that?

That's the best I've seen him. Always had potential control a game, but never quite did. Also a wee bit too sideways sometimes. But not on Friday, that was a masterclass.

He was running the midfield for us the first time we got promoted under McCall. He was also one of only 3 or 4 players who looked up to the job the last time we were in the championship.  His injury last season was huge as well, though bringing in Mark Kerr really steadied the ship for us.

Regards the sideways point, it’s worth  pointing out that he has a better standard of player around him at the moment. We actually have a forward line (even without Shankland) this time round as well as a hard working midfield.  While I would have given man of the match to Doc, I’m surprised that people didn’t see the power of work that Crawford got through.    But to suggest Friday was some kind of break out performance for him is a bit of a nonsense.   The real Achilles heel for him has been his injury record - we can only hope he gets a good run this time.

He was running the midfield for us the first time we got promoted under McCall. He was also one of only 3 or 4 players who looked up to the job the last time we were in the championship.  His injury last season was huge as well, though bringing in Mark Kerr really steadied the ship for us.
Regards the sideways point, it’s worth  pointing out that he has a better standard of player around him at the moment. We actually have a forward line (even without Shankland) this time round as well as a hard working midfield.  While I would have given man of the match to Doc, I’m surprised that people didn’t see the power of work that Crawford got through.    But to suggest Friday was some kind of break out performance for him is a bit of a nonsense.   The real Achilles heel for him has been his injury record - we can only hope he gets a good run this time.
I normally get to around 6-8 games a season, which I know is pitiful to make judgements on players (the last 18 months has seen that double, cos I'm a proper glory hunter).

But from what I remember of that season I wouldn't quite go as far as you. I always liked him, but for me he never quite dominated. And like you say, he never really delivered in the championship before the injuries.

You'd agree that since the major injury issues, Friday night was his best performance?

I think the thing was we’ve not seen Doc play like that for ages. Even last season I thought he struggled when he was fit.

I still don’t think we’ve seen the best of him though. He won our player of the year despite missing a huge chunk of the season in 15/16 and wasn’t out of place the following year despite playing with some absolute dross.

Good options to have. I really like Kerr - I think he has a better pass on him than Doc and a better football head on him but will struggle big time against raw pace.

Doc has a better tackle in him and more pace - more of terrier. His first touch not so good as Kerr's and his passing accuracy is more hot and cold than Kerr's.

Both good players in my book - when both fully fit I would pick one over the other depending more on the characteristics of the opponents on the day. If they are going to sit back, get everyone behind the ball and try to hit us on the break - then go for Kerr. If it's a head to head press or pure pace then I would prefer Doc given he finally now looks match fit. 

On 27/01/2019 at 11:10, pandarilla said:

I normally get to around 6-8 games a season, which I know is pitiful to make judgements on players (the last 18 months has seen that double, cos I'm a proper glory hunter).

But from what I remember of that season I wouldn't quite go as far as you. I always liked him, but for me he never quite dominated. And like you say, he never really delivered in the championship before the injuries.

You'd agree that since the major injury issues, Friday night was his best performance?

Certainly his best game since coming back this season.  I think Doc is one of those players you only really miss when he’s not there.  But I’ve seen him put in plenty of performances like that during his time at Ayr.  The 3-0 stroll against Raith last season springs to mind as does the 2-0 away to Dunfermline the first year we got promoted under McCall.  We were actually top of the league at the end of November that season and were running over the top of everybody for about an 8 week period up to then.  Doc (and Adams) were key to that and injuries to both completely torpedoed our chances of winning the league.  Like I say, I just hope he gets an injury free run until the end of the season.  

Archived