Friday Night Football - Ayr United v Dundee United (2nd v 3rd)

I think we need to give them a rousing reception when they come out, I'm sure they just underestimated Talbot and what it meant rather than deliberately setting out to play with little tempo or ambition.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we need to give them a rousing reception when they come out, I'm sure they just underestimated Talbot and what it meant rather than deliberately setting out to play with little tempo or ambition.

I fear the atmosphere could go the other way at the first signs of danger.

However I was wrong last season when we gave Jordan Hart a great reception away at Airdrie so I’d hope we get back behind them.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

I fear the atmosphere could go the other way at the first signs of danger.

However I was wrong last season when we gave Jordan Hart a great reception away at Airdrie so I’d hope we get back behind them.

Our fans can like it or lump but if ever this bunch needed our backing, Friday is it.

Our fans can like it or lump but if ever this bunch needed our backing, Friday is it.

Yup I completely agree.

I’m sure a win on Friday sending us top of the league will ease the anger and frustration of yesterday.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Yup I completely agree.

I’m sure a win on Friday sending us top of the league will ease the anger and frustration of yesterday.

It would disappear in an instant.

To be a tropical 8 degrees and rain on Friday so can't see it being off for a frozen pitch, winds also looking non hurricane force either so game should be ok.

Also on Friday, if fans are really not going to back the team on then they should sit in the house or go to the pub and watch it. Know it was an embarrassing result yesterday but at the end of the day the league is our bread and butter. Think everyone has completely forgotten since yesterday that we're still sitting 2nd in the championship.

Do agree though that atmosphere could get a bit ropey if we have a rather unconvincing start to the game, could do with coming out gung-ho and giving the fans something to cheer about.

20 minutes ago, rb123! said:

To be a tropical 8 degrees and rain on Friday so can't see it being off for a frozen pitch, winds also looking non hurricane force either so game should be ok.

Also on Friday, if fans are really not going to back the team on then they should sit in the house or go to the pub and watch it. Know it was an embarrassing result yesterday but at the end of the day the league is our bread and butter. Think everyone has completely forgotten since yesterday that we're still sitting 2nd in the championship.

Do agree though that atmosphere could get a bit ropey if we have a rather unconvincing start to the game, could do with coming out gung-ho and giving the fans something to cheer about.

That should actually be our MO every week, unfortunately someone at the club has dropped our mojo down the back of McCalls chair.

After yesterday I'd love to do Fridays team talk, they'd come out that dressing room thinking they were fucking Barca.

f**k that, given DUFC's record against Barca I'd have them coming out thinking they're Liverpool.

57 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

How very Gordon Sawyers of you :)

Have you heard Gordon Sawyers, how on earth would he make anyone feel great about themselves.

How's our injury situation looking for Friday ?

Has anyone got any word on Shankland, Kerr and even Forrest ? 

I heard conflicting reports on Forrest from back in training to long term out and needing an operation ??

Think after recent performances we need to shake things, I know we don’t have so much personell to change so I think we need to bolster up the midfield. 

Doohan

Ferguson Rose Bell Harvie

Murdoch Crawford Docherty 

McGuffie Moffat McDaid

Subs: Hare-Reid, Ecrepont, Higgins, Smith, McCowan, Hilton, Moore

Would imagine Geggan will be out and assuming Shankland won’t be back. Smith clearly struggled on Saturday and Geggan clearly wasn’t 100%, so was bemused as to why A. Ferguson didn’t start and B. He wasn’t Geggans replacement. Don’t see Moore starting, down 1-0 away to a junior team and he’s subbed for a centre half. Things just aren’t going for him. Hilton and McCowan will soley be on the bench to make the numbers up. Saturday was an ideal opportunity to give one of the a chance to show something, but once again they never got the chance. 

Only see this going one way unless there is a massive reaction in the dressing room. We’re at a crossroads just now in the season. Heart says 1-0 Ayr, grad says 3-0 Dundee Utd.

The degree of negativity I am reading here is crazy but all too believable. Footy fans, and especially Ayr fans,  are basically bipolar. Either everything looks rosy or the sky has fallen in.

Cup games are the cherry on the season's cake, nno more. One teams glory has to be another teams humiliation - we've done over bigger teams repeatedly and nothing came of it to impact the longer term League form. There is a total disconnection between the two. The  same should apply here in reverse, despite the fact that it is too soon after the funeral to see that.

This lengthy run without a win will end and, as others have said, the longer the slump continues the more unlikely it is to see where the next win will come from but come it will - and may as well be Friday night as any other. Either way nothing will improve by fans staying away or giving the team a hostile reception - if we end up getting beaten then save it until the final whistle if you  must.

Sunday's sports pages are just fish supper wrapping. Every game is a chance of redemption to a team that will be burning to put in a good performance. Bring it on.   

2 minutes ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

The degree of negativity I am reading here is crazy but all too believable. Footy fans, and especially Ayr fans,  are basically bipolar. Either everything looks rosy or the sky has fallen in.

Cup games are the cherry on the season's cake, nno more. One teams glory has to be another teams humiliation - we've done over bigger teams repeatedly and nothing came of it to impact the longer term League form. There is a total disconnection between the two. The  same should apply here in reverse, despite the fact that it is too soon after the funeral to see that.

This lengthy run without a win will end and, as others have said, the longer the slump continues the more unlikely it is to see where the next win will come from but come it will - and may as well be Friday night as any other. Either way nothing will improve by fans staying away or giving the team a hostile reception - if we end up getting beaten then save it until the final whistle if you  must.

Sunday's sports pages are just fish supper wrapping. Every game is a chance of redemption to a team that will be burning to put in a good performance. Bring it on.   

I don't disagree with most of this, however our hands may be tied if our injury situation is as bad as feared.

Basically with our size of squad if we lose Shankland, Kerr, Forrest, Adams & Geggan then we're in serious trouble, irrespective of what sort of form we're in.

Guys like Moore SHOULD be able to come in and do a job, however his confidence is shot to pieces and some of our support aren't exactly helping him.

I hope I'm wrong but without some of the guys named above returning or reinforcements appearing before Friday, then I fear Dundee United could be getting a bit of revenge for the Tannadice result.

Need to freshen things up for this one, i know we're restricted with how we can do that personnel wise so best way for me would be a change of formation. The 4/4/2 has become stale and is too regimented for when we're trying to break teams down, i'd be more inclined to go for this (will never happen).

Doohan

Rose Bell Higgins (Adams?)

Smith Docherty Murdoch Harvie 

Moffat                     Crawford

Shankland 

Subs: Hare-Reid, Ferguson, Adams, Kerr, McDaid, McGuffie, Moore

I'd use Smith and Harvie as wing backs and allow the front free to roam freely, only concern with this would be getting caught for pace on the counter but still think it's worth a try.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Kerr - out for 6 weeks

Shankland - 2 weeks

Forrest - 2 months

Rose - down in Coventry today signing after both clubs came to an agreement

Moffat - 50/50 to make Friday after picking up a knock on Saturday

So are we to believe Rose is away despite the statement suggesting no one would go in this window.

Archived