Scenic or Interesting Sunday League Grounds/Venues In Scotland

100GroundsProject

I visit Scotland annually with my camera to watch and photograph Junior / amateur football. To maximise my next visit, I want to watch a game on the Saturday and, ideally, the Sunday too.

Can anyone recommend a scenic or interesting ground still hosting Sunday league football? I’ve carried out quite a bit of research so far but a lot of venues appear to be 3G pitches with cages or school playing fields.

Any help appreciated with this.

In summer-season football, the Moray Welfare league provides Sunday afternoon fare. The most scenic ground of which is Aberlour Villa. And Cullen despite just playing on an unroped pitch has an ascending bank behind, from the top of which there's a nice view across the bay with the pitch in the foreground. 

There's plenty of overlap at the start and end of the Moray Welfare season with the end of & start of winter-season Saturday football. Else during the height of the summer proper the most scenic summer-Saturday-afternoon venues to combine with are in the North West Sutherland League, e.g. Helmsdale, Lairg and Kinlochbervie have all got great backdrops. Note also that the Skye & Lochalsh summer league is generally 7pm Saturday KOs, some of which can therefore be got to as a double after an afternoon KO.  Also look out for the Highland Amateur Cup. For all summer-football clubs, but played on Saturdays, so yields summer-Saturday-afternoon fixtures for clubs who normally only play on midweek nights, e.g. Caithness AFA, Inverness & District AFA (of which Avoch's ground is the most photogenic)...

Enjoy.

Archived