WIFI on BA Long Haul Flights

Eric

Has anyone been on a BA flight recently with WIFI?   The long haul flights now seem to have a WIFI service that you can get for £8

I'm travelling to NY when the Edinburgh derby is on in April and am hoping the WIFI will be good enough to stream it either through sky or the dodgy streaming service I have on my phone/tablet.   I'm not sure sky will work if not in the UK though?

Any ideas?

p.s.  I know it will be a shite game not worth watching before anyone pipes up :D

I haven't used the WiFi on BA flights before, but I used it on an Etihad flight about 3 years ago and it certainly wouldn't have been fast enough to stream any sort of video. It worked for general web browsing, but was fairly slow to load anything.

It sounds like it's improved a lot recently.  Saw an article from April 2018 saying they had tested the speed on their flight and were getting between 2.5 - 6.5 Mbps which I think should be good enough t stream if its consistent.    Just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience  

Wasn’t BA but used it with United to NY and it was fine for browsing but not for anything more than that. Also would expect that the Business/First Class will be utilising it and the speeds would slow down. If you’re lucky, you might manage to get a commentary stream.

On 16/01/2019 at 09:54, Eric said:

Has anyone been on a BA flight recently with WIFI?   The long haul flights now seem to have a WIFI service that you can get for £8

I'm travelling to NY when the Edinburgh derby is on in April and am hoping the WIFI will be good enough to stream it either through sky or the dodgy streaming service I have on my phone/tablet.   I'm not sure sky will work if not in the UK though?

Any ideas?

p.s.  I know it will be a shite game not worth watching before anyone pipes up :D

I’m sitting on a 747 on the way to Vegas right now.

Two packages available, one for just browsing and the other if you want to stream.

I’m on streaming package and it’s great, have watched stuff on YouTube with no buffering.

£16 for 4 hours or £24 for the whole flight.

On 23/01/2019 at 11:11, Div said:

I’m sitting on a 747 on the way to Vegas right now.

Two packages available, one for just browsing and the other if you want to stream.

I’m on streaming package and it’s great, have watched stuff on YouTube with no buffering.

£16 for 4 hours or £24 for the whole flight.

Legend thanks for the details. 

Fingers crossed for seeing the derby then 

On 24/01/2019 at 22:40, Eric said:

Legend thanks for the details. 

Fingers crossed for seeing the derby then 

No bother. As an aside we had Wi-Fi on our flight out to Vegas which was a 747 from Gatwick but no Wi-Fi on the return flight which as to Heathrow and was a 777.

Either way both planes were really old with small, terrible screens and absolutely dreadful food so suggest to take your own grub and download some Netflix stuff to watch offline in case there is no connection.

Archived