Best Away Performance at your ground?

57 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Fake Saints hammering us 3-1 going on 6-1 in the Scottish Cup. Either 4th round or quarters replay. Liam Craig ran the show.

This game?

My one and only trip to Love Street, was a Quarter Final replay. Think all our goals came within the opening half hour, and still had time to miss a penalty. I fucking loved that squad, would easily have competed in the top tier, but sadly stuck in the First at the time.

Absolutely robbed in the Semis by, I think Cousin, of Rangers collapsing in the box with nobody near him and getting a penalty for an equaliser, we then lost the shoot out. Made it consecutive years we'd conceded a scandalous penalty against the old firm, as Celtic had one of their strikers jump away from our keeper and get one the year before.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
55 minutes ago, MJC said:
Hibs were excellent that day but that really was an awful time for us with Malpas in charge. I know he's quoted in that link saying "talk about Hibs not Motherwell" but I'm absolutely sure he had an interview with some other channel/reporter after that game where he said that he wished he was sitting up in the stand watching that Hibs side instead of in the dugout. Truly inspirational from your clubs manager and not long after he had said that he wished he could have walked out early after Inverness had taken four off us at Fir Park. 
Back to the original question of the thread, we played Porto in a pre-season friendly at Fir Park around 1996. It finished 1-0 to Porto but it could have been anything they wanted as we couldn't get near them. I think they had the ball in the net almost straight from kick off only for it to be disallowed but they then scored about 60 seconds later and it counted this time. 

I don't remember that Porto game but the more I think about it, the biggest gulf in class was against West Brom' s 8-1 thumping of us in Joe Wark's testimonial. I thought teams weren't supposed to scud their hosts in testimonials!

As I said I'm sure it was around 1996 time as it was the home debut of the 'Jester' home kit.

The Joe Wark testimonial was before my time.

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

As I said I'm sure it was around 1996 time as it was the home debut of the 'Jester' home kit.

The Joe Wark testimonial was before my time.

Screenshot_20190115-200227_Chrome.thumb.jpg.83efb9675792116138975c5300281925.jpg

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20190115-200227_Chrome.thumb.jpg.83efb9675792116138975c5300281925.jpg

Yip that would have been it! It was before they were in their Mourinho/European Champions era but they still looked a top, top side that say and as I said, we couldn't get anywhere near them.

Not a whole team performance, but Paulo Di Canio made his debut for Celtic at RP.

Came on at 75' with the goodies winning 1-0 in a fairly even encounter. A virtuoso performance later, Celtic ran out 3-1 winners, and he absolutely dragged them to it by the scruff of their necks. Exceptional. 

Fucking fascist. 

10 hours ago, Desp said:

That game, and a 4-0 drubbing against Dundee Utd (with Gauld, GMS, Armstrong & Andy Robertson running riot) are the two that stand out for me in nearly 28 years of going to Fir Park.

Aye I mind that game. Those four and big Nadir (:wub::wub:) absolutely ripped us to bits. 

Part of me would throw in McGhee's last game for that first half against Dundee but I don't actually think Dundee were any good. We were just absolutely fucking horrendous.

6 hours ago, DosserDel said:

We've had a few tonkings at home in recent years, a 1-5 v St Johnstone with McLean getting a hat-trick, and the infamous first half Jules/Heneghan/Chalmers defensive capitulation against Dundee come to mind. 

The latter was more surreal than anything else, I don't think you will ever see a more inept defence, the highlights must be a right giggle but I've never had the heart to watch them back. Left at half time and waited for my auld man in the pub, who for some inexplicable reason stayed to endure the second 45. 

As far as being totally outclassed, the Utd game mentioned already with Gauld, Nadz et al running riot is one of the more recent ones that comes to mind. 

My pal and I spent a decent portion of the second half trying to get an "only one Mark McGhee" chant going.  The effort as eventually abandoned due to fear of death.

17 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

The team that really stood out as being at a level where just didn't belong on the same pitch as them, was Spurs  in the 0-5 Europa game. It really was like men against boys. Van Der Vaart absolutely ran the show. Kaboul, Huddlestone were giants - Hearts players, if they ever got close enough , just bounced off them. Bale was like a thoroughbred horse galloping down the wing. Their wee players like Defoe was physically too strong and fast for our strongest and fastest. 

Is that gulf in physical strength and speed purely down to legitimate means such as training and diet?

13 minutes ago, nsr said:

Is that gulf in physical strength and speed purely down to legitimate means such as training and diet?

Don’t know. Are you suggesting something improper ? Whatever the reasons they were just completely better at everything. I have never seen us so outclassed at Tynecastle - and I have seen us play Celtic when they were  a top European side, Rangers early/mid 90s, Bayern, Liverpool. None of them gave us a lesson quite like Spurs that night.

The most recent ones I can remember were a 3-0 pumping against Aberdeen in 2015 - it could've been at least double that as they completely ran over the top of us - and a 4-1 defeat to Celtic last season - they were three up by half-time and tore us apart.

10 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Don’t know. Are you suggesting something improper ? Whatever the reasons they were just completely better at everything. I have never seen us so outclassed at Tynecastle - and I have seen us play Celtic when they were  a top European side, Rangers early/mid 90s, Bayern, Liverpool. None of them gave us a lesson quite like Spurs that night.

I suppose I'm just cynical. I'd expect a massive gulf in the likes of technical ability, tactical awareness, etc between two clubs at those sorts of levels, but surely it isn't even remotely possible that the top (or top-ish) clubs aren't making use of less legitimate means to increase physical attributes.

I was thinking of doings we've had at our new ground and that Killie performance at new year was the one that came to mind. Big Mixu had them firing on all cylinders that season. 
That was a great performance. I can't remember if Bryson scored a penalty but I do know that our second goal came from a quick freekick that almost summed up that team in one move.
That's the one. Bryson scored from 25 yards, must have scored a penalty in another hammering of us.

Mixu had Connor Sammon playing like the original Ronaldo that season.Screenshot_20190116-101016_Chrome.jpg

This game?
My one and only trip to Love Street, was a Quarter Final replay. Think all our goals came within the opening half hour, and still had time to miss a penalty. I fucking loved that squad, would easily have competed in the top tier, but sadly stuck in the First at the time.
Absolutely robbed in the Semis by, I think Cousin, of Rangers collapsing in the box with nobody near him and getting a penalty for an equaliser, we then lost the shoot out. Made it consecutive years we'd conceded a scandalous penalty against the old firm, as Celtic had one of their strikers jump away from our keeper and get one the year before.
🤢 that's the one. Forgot how good the goals were, 3 absolute pearlers.

Forgot you's were First Division too, we won the league the previous season. Poor Gus had some cup shockers.

I have recollections of Aberdeen coming to Parkhead for a night game and absolutely humping us 3-0 or 3-1 back in the early 90's. Eoin Jess in particular shat all over us all night, we couldn't get near him. But the whole Aberdeen side looked a class above us.

Arsenal also gave us a right horsing in  a Champions League qualifier a few years back. It finished 0-2 with a deflection and the regular Gary Caldwell (OG) own goal, but it could have been a lot more.

One that wasn't at my team, but still an amazing away performance was seeing Juventus against Man Utd at Old Trafford. Finished 1-1 with Giggs equalising in Fergie Time, but for the previous 90 odd minutes Zidane and Davids had shat all over the likes of Keane and Beckham. Of course they went and did the same to Juve in the second leg.

37 minutes ago, nsr said:

I suppose I'm just cynical. I'd expect a massive gulf in the likes of technical ability, tactical awareness, etc between two clubs at those sorts of levels, but surely it isn't even remotely possible that the top (or top-ish) clubs aren't making use of less legitimate means to increase physical attributes.

Genetic, diet, bigger population to draw on - who knows ?  But for as long as I can remember Scotland football (and rugby) teams lining up against English teams have always been smaller.

Archived