Cambuslang Rangers And Manager Part Ways

thelangonline

It always was really strange to me when that happened-the Clydebank ex Chairman being one of the strangest of the lot although I suppose he had the chance to take training etc at Kilbirnie(not sure if he was doing similar before however at Clydebank?)But when you are so heavily involved to change allegiance is a big thing.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Lokloyal said:

I wasn’t too aware of the Nivens-have they been at a lot of clubs?

Don’t think so. John was a genuine Meadow fan for years. Went to all the games etc. Nikki came in around the time the club went tits up and came up with ideas to help. Committee/ fans told her to bolt and obviously took a huff. Went to Pollok then Cambuslang. 

13 hours ago, garrellburn said:

i'll take your reponse at face value, it does seem quite incredible to have that many decent amateurs lined up and ready to step away from their clubs, but good on you to have been so organised and fortunate to have been able to do it. Next hurdle is to see what penalty the beaks will impose on the club for the other matters which I know have nothing to do with the new  people in charge, we may learn more at thursdays WR meeting.

From my meeting last week I’ve been told there will be no point deduction. I took charge on Tuesday night - there was no players . I watch an amateur game every sat morning before Cambuslang game so I do have quite a decent contact list . Christie, bishop and treacy are all friends and ex juniors who hadn’t been playing. Hope that puts that 1 to bed . Thanks 

9 hours ago, Lokloyal said:

It always was really strange to me when that happened-the Clydebank ex Chairman being one of the strangest of the lot although I suppose he had the chance to take training etc at Kilbirnie(not sure if he was doing similar before however at Clydebank?)But when you are so heavily involved to change allegiance is a big thing.

He left to take up a job ... he was not involved in any way with the running of Kilbirnie as a club off the field . He'd still - and always will - consider himself a Bankies fan. Not sure what part of any of that is not understandable but some of our fans dont get it either. 

I think your fans get it pretty well, the ones I know have said he done the wrong thing by leaving. Remember this wasn’t a guy who was a coach with ambition this was the chairman of the club. He may not have any hand in running kilbirnie but I’m sure if he and the manager wanted a player from Clydebank he would have first hand knowledge of what wages and terms that player would have been on so could offer him more.  How do the fans react to him ,I take it he is back at the games as a fan now since leaving kilbirnie?  As lokloyal says it’s just strange imagine the pollok chairman leaving to be Arthurlie assistant manager, hardly leaving to take up a job. I’m sorry but if you are club chairman and you leave to take a job at a rival club you deserve everything that comes your way. 

9 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

Aye,...but Garrelburn and the rest of us need to know if you were completely aff yer heids & oota yer faces and that, when yez made yer decision and that, know man ? 

Is that whit yer saying ?

Garrelburn was just too polite to ask.

I just can't help contrasting what happened at two clubs who were suddenly left without a manager or any players. Larkhall, who had just been promoted are unable to get any decent players and have made little, if any, progress after more than half a season. Cambuslang, who have a decent squad but a madman in charge of the team suddenly find themselves in the same predicament and assemble  a team in a matter of hours who can go to Largs and compete well.  As  far as a  penalty for the other events is concerned they certainly won't get away scotfree from what I have heard.

Troon not Largs.

And it was at Cambuslang not Troon/Largs.

But apart from that, keep up the conspiracy theorising.

6 minutes ago, drs said:

Troon not Largs.

And it was at Cambuslang not Troon/Largs.

But apart from that, keep up the conspiracy theorising.

Troon, Largs or Cambuslang, what does it matter? They are all on the banks of the Clyde. But sorry for mistake , its an age thing!

47 minutes ago, Nikos K said:

I think your fans get it pretty well, the ones I know have said he done the wrong thing by leaving. Remember this wasn’t a guy who was a coach with ambition this was the chairman of the club. He may not have any hand in running kilbirnie but I’m sure if he and the manager wanted a player from Clydebank he would have first hand knowledge of what wages and terms that player would have been on so could offer him more.  How do the fans react to him ,I take it he is back at the games as a fan now since leaving kilbirnie?  As lokloyal says it’s just strange imagine the pollok chairman leaving to be Arthurlie assistant manager, hardly leaving to take up a job. I’m sorry but if you are club chairman and you leave to take a job at a rival club you deserve everything that comes your way. 

no i accept that some bear a grievance but not one i think is reasonable. The circumstances of the departure ( ie someone who did a dual Chairman / coach role ) are very strange and unlikely to happen very often unless you count Hugh Kelly as a similar situation  ? Some of the gripes are personal ( not all ). Btw if he'd wholesale taken our 1st team with him id've been less than amused myself but he didnt. 

1 hour ago, Nikos K said:

He hasn’t been seen at a Clydebank game since he left Kilbirnie.

17 minutes ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

He hasn’t been seen at a Clydebank game since he left Kilbirnie.

Surely the hostility if any towards him isn’t that bad that he can’t go to games to watch the team ? Or is he a type of guy who if it isn’t his baw he’s no playing?  Either way it’s still a poor show not to go back as a fan.  I’m guessing, and I may be wrong, that he’s been a fan since the senior days so it must be hard not to watch the team you support for whatever reason. Bankiebill I admire your support for your obvious friend but sometimes you even have to tell your mates when they’re in the wrong , I kind of get the feeling you’re in a minority in this case. 

Nikos i was under the impression that you are a Bankies fan - if not then forgive me - but if you are then you'll understand that the guy was involved at Bankies since the early 80s. Ran buses, supporters teams, supporters clubs then was 1st Chair of Junior team for 14 or so years as well as having a big role in coaching.

There was a lot of ill-feeling when he left ... some of it real disappointment some more profound. No point going over old ground - i'll never agree with some folk. Recently there was some ill-feeling expressed on our forum when there was - an illfounded - rumour that he was replacing an outgoing coach. That was never happening but there is undoubtedly some residual unhappiness ... anyway he is a mate yes. He's someone who gave a huge amount to club - yes. I think that deserves more than comments that were over the top at the time.  Football tends to make people too tribal. I have mates who support other clubs. You play them - hopefully beat them - then you're still mates. 

Not a Bankies fan no , just like going to a different game every  week but I have been to a few games as I like the way you play the game. I think McAnespie is doing a great job and think if the club had money to spend he would make them a top club. 

Just on his dual role , how did that come about? Did he tell the manager as chairman that he was doing it as it seems a strange set up. If I had a club ( mine was third Lanark ) btw , I don’t think I would be happy about the chairman being in the dugout . 

Kieran had a really shaky start but hes done really well and has my full support. I cant see another manager being there as long as Budgie but you never know.  its hard without a bigger budget but this thread shows the danger in money from just any source. 

Gordon had a B licence and was invited on board by the manager. His call. If it hadnt worked for a number of years - incl 3 top 4 finishes, a Cup final and semi-final then it wouldnt have been tolerated. 

Anyway best leave the thread to Camby chat. 

Archived