Motherwell v Ross County

Mitch

On 1/15/2019 at 22:42, Gianfranco said:

I take it County will rest players

I genuinely think if we do it will give us a better chance in the game. Our first team have been playing so badly recently, with results starting to match performances and confidence plummeting, that I wouldn't expect them to want to be anywhere near a game like this just now. I'm not saying I would expect an experimental team to necessarily take much from the game, but they would likely be more up for it, go into it with less 'baggage', and not really be under much pressure either way.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we even have the depth to rest players?

I'd go with the following, scrape a draw, then get a money spinning replay back at the Energydome:

Fox

Watson Grivosti  Fraser VdW

Lindsay Draper

Gardyne Paton Stewart

Graham

Subs: Munro, Spence, McManus, Mckay, Kelly, Erm... a couple of youth players?

Stewart is fucking hopeless out wide but he's literally the only option - unless there's someone from the Development squad who can fill in? Punt long balls to his head and hope a flick-on lands favourably at the feet of someone. 

What's likely to happen is a flat 4-5-1, with Mckay up front by himself getting the ball hoofed at him. 

Do we even have the depth to rest players?

I'd go with the following, scrape a draw, then get a money spinning replay back at the Energydome:

Fox

Watson Grivosti  Fraser VdW

Lindsay Draper

Gardyne Paton Stewart

Graham

Subs: Munro, Spence, McManus, Mckay, Kelly, Erm... a couple of youth players?

Stewart is fucking hopeless out wide but he's literally the only option - unless there's someone from the Development squad who can fill in? Punt long balls to his head and hope a flick-on lands favourably at the feet of someone. 

What's likely to happen is a flat 4-5-1, with Mckay up front by himself getting the ball hoofed at him. 

Paton is cup tied, I think. Another Kettleson master-stoke.

We have no wingers and no attacking central midfielders. We have our best midfielder in defence, our best right back in central defence, and our most talented young defender playing fullback.

Edit: much of that is due to the insane injury list, but DKD should be starting games like this, or a central defender and/or winger brought in long before now.

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Paton is cup tied, I think. Another Kettleson master-stoke.

You're right, he is!

Stick the young guy Wallace in there instead, I think he's an attacking player?

So who is actually missing for the Staggies that would have been expected to start ? 

Evens for Motherwell seems generous if this is the situation. 

Of course the minute I put any money on Motherwell = huge boost to Ross County’s chances. 

Looking forward to the game. Been a long 3 weeks. Hopefully we will be fresh from the break rather than rusty.

So who is actually missing for the Staggies that would have been expected to start ? 
Evens for Motherwell seems generous if this is the situation. 
Of course the minute I put any money on Motherwell = huge boost to Ross County’s chances. 
Looking forward to the game. Been a long 3 weeks. Hopefully we will be fresh from the break rather than rusty.

Ian Vigurs
Josh mullin
Liam Fontaine
Callum Morris
Stelios Demetriou

Genuinely havent been less inspired for a game for seasons. This will be one of the 45 second clips on Sportscene tomorrow, have less than 2.5 goals, a red card for a second yellow for a player that does nothing else on the game and probably end up with a replay that absolutely no one wants or cares about...

Play Ross Munro though, absolutely f**k all to lose here.  

Motherwell are probably the team that we have the least amount of beef with from our Premiership glory days. Therefore I am not overly bothered that our forgettable cup exit will be against them. Apparently we haven't won a Scottish cup game away from Dingwall since Celtic in 2010.

4 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Motherwell are probably the team that we have the least amount of beef with from our Premiership glory days. Therefore I am not overly bothered that our forgettable cup exit will be against them. Apparently we haven't won a Scottish cup game away from Dingwall since Celtic in 2010.

This has disaster written all over it. 

After reading these comments from County fans my brain is doing that scary thing of concluding it'll be a hassle free win tomorrow. Should really know better by now.

I have a lot of time for County as I lived in Ross-Shire from when I was 9 to 18 and attended Victoria Park semi regularly for my football fix. Obviously hoping you get pumped tomorrow but would like to see you swap places with Accies next season.

I was at the midweek pre season friendly in 2006 and I think I'm correct in saying that was the first time Ross McCormack was seen in Claret and Amber. Fingers crossed he makes it tomorrow. 

14 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

We have no wingers and no attacking central midfielders. We have our best midfielder in defence, our best right back in central defence, and our most talented young defender playing fullback.

AKA the Stephen Robinson approach to squad & game management. 

19 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

We didn't until recently but we (the fans) moaned about it so much the management seem to have noticed.

34 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

We didn't until recently but we (the fans) moaned about it so much the management seem to have noticed.

Let's cram 14 players into the central midfield area, and let battle commence!

Archived