Do you save your change?

Ylf

I've always thought of these machines as being a tax on the lazy but I suppose if it takes a fiver off you for something that might have taken you an hour or so you might consider it money well spent.

Personally I chuck everything from 10p down into a jar that goes to UNICEF at Christmas (Jar of Grace appeal).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Often use the coinstar machines (maybe twice, three times a year). As said, it’s easier than getting in to the bank. Going to start sticking £2 coins aside. Jar currently is usually just 20p’s and less but occasionally chuck in 50p’s and a quid here and there.

ive got several change jara that i use every night. one ceramic jar for £2/1 coins that has to be smashed when full. filled it on friday night so ordered another one but havent smashed it yet. should be about £300 in it i think. dont beed the money just now so just leaving it where i know its safe from the missus!

got another plastic tub that holds approx £100 of 50ps. i fill that and once full i leave it until the car tax is due. basically i feel like i dont need to pay car tax myself!

another few tubs i throw all the crap in. never seem to empty them as there wont be much in them.

the £1 and 50ps go to her work i exchange for notes not sure where the crap will go.

41 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Since there is more than 1p / 2p's worth of metal in a 1p / 2p coin, is there any merit in taking all your coppers to a scrappie?

Think it's just the pre 1992 coins that are worth more in scrap, modern ones are steel with thin copper plating.

I've got a glass 1L beer stein that I fill with change, usually keep the larger coin in my wallet but the smaller pieces (less than $1) go into the mug, once it is full I figure something to do with it, last time I donated most of it. 

When lived in the UK I used to save all my change and bank it (the BoS did this free as I had a business account) every couple of years. In Japan I need all my change as surprisingly over 80% of transactions made are in cash here, plus the smallest note is ¥1000 which is about £7.

9 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I've got a glass 1L beer stein that I fill with change, usually keep the larger coin in my wallet but the smaller pieces (less than $1) go into the mug, once it is full I figure something to do with it, last time I donated most of it. 

BEAST

Usually put all my coins in a jar I leave near the front door, everything from 5CHF down. Normally fill it 3/4 times a year and generally around 250CHF a pop when I take it to the coin machine in the bank. Last few times has pretty much covered spending money on weekends away.

Archived