Do you save your change?

Ylf

Put away all my £2 coins and fifty pieces into a jar. Fairly adds up. Put all my dross in another jar then use the coin star. Put it towards shopping. Anyone have a big stash of coins away?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ylf said:

Put away all my £2 coins and fifty pieces into a jar. Fairly adds up. Put all my dross in another jar then use the coin star. Put it towards shopping. Anyone have a big stash of coins away?

Does the coin star not take a pretty generous cut?

I bag my change and give it to the newsagent in exchange for notes easy :)

I'm not very disciplined about putting away my change, but I am currently. Just the shrapnel though, biggest denomination is 50 pence, I keep the £1 & £2 coins for spending. As you say it mounts up, the last time I went to the bank with my coins I think it totalled £86.00.

Aye. Got a massive coca cola bottle style plastic bank in the house. Chuck all my change in there. Been going several years and not even half full yet. Be a few grand when it's full I reckon although that's a long time away. Count it and bag it myself, find it strangely enjoyable! 

The other half has a BOS savings account that rounds up all her debit card purchases to the nearest pound. If she spends £3.20 on something it transfers 80p from her bank account to a savings account. Doesn't seem much but she says it all ads up & she can use it for holidays or christmas time.

I bought a small wooden change box from a carpenter in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus and put all my change in there.  I have less and less of it though as I don't really take buses or buy newspapers anymore.

45 minutes ago, Ylf said:

36 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Does the coin star not take a pretty generous cut?

I bag my change and give it to the newsagent in exchange for notes easy :)

RBS have a machine that does it for free and goes straight into your account.

Used to get a lot of dross from pubs but they just round it up when a price hike. Used to buy the papers as well but not anymore. My old man saves 20 pence pieces. Has done for years. Must have a few bob tucked away

I put all my coins in a bottle which I emptied in November before I went to Canada and States, there was just under a grand in it.  That was probably just over a year since it was last emptied.

Started again and this time putting £5 notes in as well.

RBS have a machine that pays the change straight into an account. Coinstar take about 8% or something like that

The only thing I need change for now is the coffee machine at work so I'll just use it for that then when it's gone I'll take another tenner out and repeat. Everything else I card.

Archived