Scottish Cup Memories

LoonsYouthTeam

In terms of games I've been at and for the atmosphere, shock value and fantastic banter (the red card, if you decide to watch the video), Dunfermline Athletic 2, Rangers 0 in front of a packed East End Park with the terracing and cage (one of the best grounds for atmosphere IMO, even if I'm biased myself, before the all seated rubbish) takes some beating. And it was the featured game on Sportscene that night too. Enjoy.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Obviously for United it could be our many many cup winning years, pumpings of the Rangers or putting Dundee out about 6 years in a row

However, this was the most fun/drunkest I have ever been at a game 

GMS, Nadir and Armstrong in top form... 

crying-man.gif

43 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

In terms of games I've been at and for the atmosphere, shock value and fantastic banter (the red card, if you decide to watch the video), Dunfermline Athletic 2, Rangers 0 in front of a packed East End Park with the terracing and cage (one of the best grounds for atmosphere IMO, even if I'm biased myself, before the all seated rubbish) takes some beating. And it was the featured game on Sportscene that night too. Enjoy.

Utter scum from Bomber. Should have been two reds in the same incident! 

Today a great victory's been won,
And I don't want to spread any glue,
But who knows what happened,
To the te-le-vis-i-on,
In the Rangers dressing room.

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Today a great victory's been won,
And I don't want to spread any glue,
But who knows what happened,
To the te-le-vis-i-on,
In the Rangers dressing room.

Is it not 'gloom' as opposed to glue?

Have I been whoooshed having not read the entire thread?

I really wish I could see the highlights of our 3-2 loss to Hibs a few years ago. Greg Stewart puts us a goal up after 10 seconds and Jon Robertson scores a wonder volley. Best atmosphere I've been in in the old stand at the ground.

Getting pumped 6-2 at home by Ross County when they were in the Highland League was a lesson in my youth about life, football, and the realisation that Queens were probably not going to be a very good football team. I remember the 8-3 against Forfar as well.

Mind you there was this...

...all of this stuff (which I wish someone would make a youtube video of without the music over the top)...

Image result for queens 4 aberdeen 3

...and 1:40 to 2:47 of this...

In my entire life I'm pretty certain I've not and never will go as spontaneously mental as the moment when Thomson's header hit that back of that net. Rangers were on the ropes and I really thought we were winning it at that point.

We'll always have that cup run.

8 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Pretty sure it was glue. Please check back to Only An Excuse (A Tale of 2 Seasons IIRC) and let me know if I was wrong.

I recognised it.

Surely 'gloom' works better as regards the sense of it, and the rhyme?

PS I also think it's "victory has been won"  rather than "victory's been won" in the first line.  

49 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Well, I went back and have listened to it again. I regret to admit you are correct on both counts, and I've been saying it wrongly for 30 years!

Where did you find it?  I'd love to hear it again?

Don't beat yourself up about it.  At least you got the main comical bit right - television being given five syllables to make it scan.

22 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Utter scum from Bomber. Should have been two reds in the same incident! 

Looking back at that, it really does look absolutely brilliant.  Tremendous scenes.

In unrelated news, I passed my driving test that week.  

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
Where did you find it?  I'd love to hear it again?

Don't beat yourself up about it.  At least you got the main comical bit right - television being given five syllables to make it scan.

I got it off PnB as it happens! For long enough it was hosted here for download. Perhaps @Div will have more info.

I vaguely remember watching the 1984 cup final on TV where ten man Celtic lost 2-1 to Aberdeen after extra time, Packie Bonner had a hand in both Dons goals, Paul McStay scored with a tackle after Roy Aitken was harshly sent off by MIB Bob Valentine. 

My dad took me and my brother to the following year's final after reading in that mornings Daily Record it was pay at the gate behind the goals, a spur of the moment decision and an 8 year old me saw practically f**k all in a dangerously overcrowded Celtic end, remember getting rag dolled at both late goals as Celtic came from behind to beat Dundee United 2-1, not for the last time in a Scottish Cup Final that decade either !

The season we got to the semis (against a juiced-oot-their-nappers-on-EBTS Rangers side who would win the whole thing) was incredible as our cup record throughout my lifetime has been grim. We put out both Dundee and ICT after dramatic replays. The Caley home game sticks out as it's the last time I stood on the terrace at Firhill. We also rinsed Caley 4-0 at home the previous week, so I stupidly turned up expecting to win. Wyness and Robson were class for them in what was a quality cup-tie.

This absolute peach from our centre half (and probably my favourite ever Jags player) Scott Paterson just about made up for not winning over one game.

I travelled up from Edinburgh for this game with a St Johnstone supporting colleague.  We were right behind the goal where Ian Polwarth equalised.  We were going mental and he looked ashen faced.  Bloody great day in the Howden End

Archived