Australian Open Tennis 2019

lichtie23

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

Yeah, I never bet on it anyways. Djokovic unstoppable when he's like this.

Has he ever played better ? Of course nadal isnt even averaging a point per Djokovic service game which helps but still, he has hardly had any unforced etrors

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the moment I would have it;

Federer 

Djokovic 

Nadal  

in terms of who is the greatest out of them.  I daresay by the time they finish, Djokovic will be at the top of the pile.  

9 times out of 10, he just doesn't miss does he? 

I think the biggest arguement Djokovic has to being the greatest is the fact that ever since he rose to the top of the pile neither Federer nor Nadal have been able to live with him. From masters to majors he's been simply unstoppable.

59 minutes ago, Loki said:

Novak to pump Nadal at Roland Garros as well.  Could easily win all four this year.  Novak at his peak is better than anyone there has ever been.

9 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

I think the biggest arguement Djokovic has to being the greatest is the fact that ever since he rose to the top of the pile neither Federer nor Nadal have been able to live with him. From masters to majors he's been simply unstoppable.

Agree with both these comments. The head to head in Djokovic's favour and the fact Federer and Nadal won several of their earlier slams without Djokovic, plus multiple slam winners Murray and Wawrinka, near their peak, is telling.

Fitness allowing, you can't see how he won't at least equal Federer's 20. He doesn't have the on court style that Fed and Rafa has, but that's irrelevant really if you get the job done.

He'll also be desperate for that gold medal in Tokyo next summer. :lol:

Agree with both these comments. The head to head in Djokovic's favour and the fact Federer and Nadal won several of their earlier slams without Djokovic, plus multiple slam winners Murray and Wawrinka, near their peak, is telling.
Fitness allowing, you can't see how he won't at least equal Federer's 20. He doesn't have the on court style that Fed and Rafa has, but that's irrelevant really if you get the job done.
He'll also be desperate for that gold medal in Tokyo next summer. [emoji38]
Murray to pop up with a 3rd gold medal [emoji23]

For me his claim to the greatest tennis player of this era is already compelling.  He is the only one versatile to win across all courts in the Masters series, Nadal and Federer haven't been able to do that.  He has also managed to win four slams in a row, which Nadal or Federer haven't done (although Federer did win three and make the final in the French twice).  To add to his legacy he is one of only two men to dethrone the King of Clay in his palace., and he has also dethroned the King of Grass twice in his palace.  He leads the head to head against both of his rivals, and since his second slam win in 2011 he has devastated them.

For me its Federer in second place.  But if Nadal beats his slam count he would have to be elevated above Federer.  Come the end of their careers we might see that Federer was the weakest of all three of them!

In Djokovic's two matches against Pouille and Nadal to lift the trophy he made 15 unforced errors.  There was a 127 points played in the semi final, and 142 played in the final.  A total of 269 points made.  There is no stats available for average rally length but you would imagine the rallies against Nadal would have lasted longer.  In all he probably hit the ball around 1000 times in those matches.  He made 15 unforced errors.  Accuracy of 98.5%.  Unbelievable accuracy and precision.

He is now guaranteed to go over 250 weeks at number one.  By the end of Djokovic's career he may just wipe Federer's name of every record.  I imagine the Wimbledon record is safe though!

Just a shame Murray's run is probably over.  We never did get that Murray Federer clay match.  Nor did we get a Murray Rafa match under the tutleage of Lendl.  One last grass court match against Novak would also have been superb.

Archived