Montrose v Dundee United - Dillon Derby

15 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Hopefully it's FCFS as its about the only pub in Montrose that isn't a complete bin.

You probably need to look harder. Montrose is fantastic for boozers.

I'm envious AF that Dundee United got this tie. If there is one away day out I'd fucking love for us to get, it would be Montrose away.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

You probably need to look harder. Montrose is fantastic for boozers.

I'm envious AF that Dundee United got this tie. If there is one away day out I'd fucking love for us to get, it would be Montrose away.

I'm open to any suggestions. Hit me.

To guide you here is my assessment of where I have drank before:

V Dece

Market Arms

Caledonian

Don't mind

Anchor but it's out of the way.

Bins

Picture House

Sharkeys

The Albert 

The Star

The clubby beside the ground. Is it a Legion?

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

V Dece

Market Arms

Caledonian

Don't mind

Bins

Picture House

Sharkeys

The Albert 

The Star

I go during the Montrose Music Festival, so it might be a lot more different in comparison. I think you're being a bit harsh on a few of them. Compared to some of the over-priced gentrified hovels you get in Edinburgh, some of those pubs are a breath of fresh air in comparison.

I always really liked the Golf Inn. Decent for pool and darts. Neptune bar is rather good too. Would also add Northern Vaults to the list.

Picture House is about as Spoonys as it gets there, but it's not a bad spoons compared to what you usually see. I didn't mind Sharkys or The Albert, and calling them both a bin is harsh.

If you want to go to a real bin there, go to Steeplejacks  or the Royal Arch. I'm pretty sure the latter has Penny Arcade is their most popular song on the jukebox :lol: Busbys though is by far the worst although it is a club.

You could get a very good pub crawl out of Montrose IMO.

Sampling the Montrose FC hospitality for this. Morning train up, what could go wrong?

Looking forward to reading the match report the next day to see how the game went.

Hopefully your hospitality is at the ground rather than the satellite hospitality at the Park Hotel. Those at the latter have been short changed IMO. You will certainly get your money's worth at LP.

1 hour ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

Hopefully your hospitality is at the ground rather than the satellite hospitality at the Park Hotel. Those at the latter have been short changed IMO. You will certainly get your money's worth at LP.

It's at the hotel. I shall register my disappointment with my mate who organised it :lol:

Sir Paul Hegarty is hosting us apparently. Must be an impressive array of club royalty at the ground hospitality if we're getting a raw deal.

It's at the hotel. I shall register my disappointment with my mate who organised it [emoji38]
Sir Paul Hegarty is hosting us apparently. Must be an impressive array of club royalty at the ground hospitality if we're getting a raw deal.
Looking at what is on offer at the Park Hotel, I would say the drink will flow more freely at Links Park. I am sure you will have a great day, but hopefully a losing experience, regardless.

1 hour ago, watdeadlyone said:

Have heard some United fans have booked Busbys pre and post match as it does not usually open till evenings. Only a 5 min walk to ground from there

The last time I was in Busbys was on the same day as the Mo played Utd in 2001. :lol:It was a hovel then. I doubt if it's improved.

Good shout earlier for the Caledonian. Best pub in Montrose IMO. It's slightly out of the way though so doesn't attract a pre and post match clientele.:guinness

V Dece
Market Arms
Caledonian
Don't mind
Bins
Picture House
Sharkeys
The Albert 
The Star
Not sure when you were last in The Albert but I would say it's a nice little pub.
I go during the Montrose Music Festival, so it might be a lot more different in comparison. I think you're being a bit harsh on a few of them. Compared to some of the over-priced gentrified hovels you get in Edinburgh, some of those pubs are a breath of fresh air in comparison.
I always really liked the Golf Inn. Decent for pool and darts. Neptune bar is rather good too. Would also add Northern Vaults to the list.
Picture House is about as Spoonys as it gets there, but it's not a bad spoons compared to what you usually see. I didn't mind Sharkys or The Albert, and calling them both a bin is harsh.
If you want to go to a real bin there, go to Steeplejacks  or the Royal Arch. I'm pretty sure the latter has Penny Arcade is their most popular song on the jukebox [emoji38] Busbys though is by far the worst although it is a club.
You could get a very good pub crawl out of Montrose IMO.
Steeplejacks has had a bit of a refurb since the last Mofest, nothing spectacular but they've brightened it up and got rid of the manky woodchip. It also has by far the best selection of spirits and shots imo.

58 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

When I tell folk, normally Weegie based, that Montrose has a shark attack theme bar they think I'm talking pish. Ignorant cants.

If you’re hoping for a few bites you’ll be disappointed.

Should be an enjoyable, noisy (if cold) afternoon - the league is the main focus, but good to finally get a decent money spinner at LP (when was the last 3,000+ game apart from the Plastic Rangers Circus double?) and the club are certainly not holding back on pushing and hyping it, which is fair enough. I can think of worse afternoons to win the half time draw....

Haven't really seen much of DU, but I fear they will have plenty in pocket to do a 'professional' job and get through. That said, the upset isn't too far fetched if we approach it the right way, don't get star struck/bullied like we did in the first Ar*****h game in August, and have a little helping of luck. Not sure how profitable a replay at Tannadice would be, but would gladly take that right now.

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What are the pies like at Links Park?  *

I am starting a diet on Monday so am looking for any excuse to try them.

* don’t say better than Tannadice because most pies are.

Should be both types available. Avoid the bog standard Scotch Pies but the steak pies are fantastic.

48 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The mince pies are pretty grim. The macaroni ones are passable. Go for the soup IMO.

48 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I love them but they are universally hated by fans of every other lower league team.

That said, they are greasy as f**k. (The pies, not the other club's fans). I once filled a quenchy cup up to the halfway mark with the grease from a single pie.

12 minutes ago, MOFOREVER said:

Should be both types available. Avoid the bog standard Scotch Pies but the steak pies are fantastic.

11 minutes ago, Scorge said:

The mince pies are pretty grim. The macaroni ones are passable. Go for the soup IMO.

9 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I love them but they are universally hated by fans of every other lower league team.

That said, they are greasy as f**k. (The pies, not the other club's fans). I once filled a quenchy cup up to the halfway mark with the grease from a single pie.

Are Montrose fans equally unanimous about their football?  :lol:

Sadly won’t be able to join the festivities tomorrow, however will have my ear glued to Sportsound, which, given that The Grueseome Twosome aren’t playing tomorrow (at the same time anyway), we might get somewhere  close to the amount of coverage that a clash of this magnitude deserves.

Seeing a ‘professional’ but not outstanding performance by United, and def a chance to rest Fyvie and try to bed in some of the entire new midfield we have just signed.

2-0 to the Tangerines.

Archived