Kelty Hearts on the slide ?

Pampabay

What’s happening at Kelty Hearts ? Previously they would have turned over teams like Stirling Uni without any trouble.

Are things really coming together under the new manager because by today’s standards there must be questions asked.

Many teams have discovered that a good player doesn’t always translate into a good coach. 

Too many mediocre results of late. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have nothing against the guy but results are not coming through. We were talking about getting into the play offs this season but they seems increasingly unlikely. To my mind the team has gone backward rather than forward.

This league is a very professional and very progressive one now. That means that opposition teams are well scouted and game plans are well established by every team based on the way they and they’re opponent like to play.

It’s often the teams that provide the best media footage that are affected by this as it allows opponents to go into great detail about strengths and weaknesses. As such, there’s a fair chance that what’s actually happening at Kelty isn’t due to a change of gaffer ( it still might be) but due to the diligent approach of opposition coaches and the execution of players that are actually of a good non league standard.

Players being played out of position, boy who scored 8 goals in 8 starts being told to leave and team moral fallen apart. I hope nobody is suggesting it’s got anything to do with the manager.

On 02/01/2019 at 16:43, gogsy said:

Well so far he has shipped out Chris Gay who didn't feature under the previous manager and Nico Stephen who didn't get much game time either. The players that are according to this thread up for sale are Matty Gay,  Willis Hare and Ian Nimmo.  First two weren't first choices under the previous manager either. Unless you know what the fallout between Nimmo and the manager was about then I'm not sure its an automatic to immediately blame the manager.

If the team wins their next two matches (ok that's not easy but is possible) then they will have picked up the same amount of points from the nine  league games the new manager has had compared to the nine the previous manager picked up, only difference is that goals scored and conceded have been reduced greatly.

Onwards and upwards :lol:

Why did he play a lone striker up front then not change it when it wasn’t working. Skip and Hubby made a difference when they came on but I just think the guy isn’t getting it. I hope I’m wrong but I’m concerned. 

Nimmo is and has been for Kelty a very good player and he shouldn’t be away.

Whilst I hope i’m  wrong, the progress made or the lack of it in recent months suggests that Kelty might be wiser next season but I don’t think they will be stronger.

Think of the momentum they had built up, recognise it’s been lost, ask what had changed to lose it and address that problem.

You can’t afford to lose tune in football.

Again, as a Kelty fan, I hope I’m proved wrong.

Jeez we have lost 1 game in 9 since the new management come in.

The last time the club had a change in management team was September 2013, season 13/14. That squad for whatever reason underachieved that season no doubt, the squad links show the talent that was there. We escaped relegation through a play off.

http://www.keltyhearts.co.uk/results-fixtures-1314/4584972603

http://www.keltyhearts.co.uk/squad-1314/4584980375

Season 14/15 the club provided huge investment for wages and ground improvements  never seen before in the clubs history , the previous management expertly seen what was needed and overhauled the squad that would go on to achieve success for 3 years. 1 year we just failed to pip Bonnyrigg.

Many players have come and went since then but the core of that squad are still in place, Ritchie, Greig, Dalziel, Philp, O’Neil, Leighton, Cargill, Husband. That’s 8 players 5 years older, used to a managers ways for 4/5 years and not used to a very competitive Lowland League.  The landscape has now changed obviously and whoever was to come in would have had the task of making new relationships, implementing their ideas, different view on players, new ways of working. We have played 9 games, 4 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss since the change, that form was to be expected surely. 

Its a results business but it’s not an instant results business for us same as it wasn’t in season 13/14.  We know what we need, how we will do it and when.  Any new management team will get the same time and investment afforded in 13/14, 14-15 to bring success with their own ideas and  squad of boys they choose to go forward with. Be interesting to revisit things in 18 months.

It shouldn't really come as a surprise. All the Clyde fans that have commented can't be wrong about BF being hopeless? Results seem to suggest anyone sceptical over his appointment have a right to be. Hopefully for Kelty's sake things do turn around but I'm not convinced the current manager will make that happen.

On 12/01/2019 at 17:55, Pampabay said:

Why did he play a lone striker up front then not change it when it wasn’t working. Skip and Hubby made a difference when they came on but I just think the guy isn’t getting it. I hope I’m wrong but I’m concerned. 

Nimmo is and has been for Kelty a very good player and he shouldn’t be away.

Dress it up as you like D but his inadequacies at Clyde we’re well highlighted when he was appointed. 

On 1/12/2019 at 17:47, surely not! said:

This league is a very professional and very progressive one now. That means that opposition teams are well scouted and game plans are well established by every team based on the way they and they’re opponent like to play.

It’s often the teams that provide the best media footage that are affected by this as it allows opponents to go into great detail about strengths and weaknesses. As such, there’s a fair chance that what’s actually happening at Kelty isn’t due to a change of gaffer ( it still might be) but due to the diligent approach of opposition coaches and the execution of players that are actually of a good non league standard.

Kelty's highlights packages are too good...:lol:

Were Kelty fans not saying finishing top 5 and pushing on for the title after that would be a good start at the beginning of the season? There's a pretty enormous gulf between the old EoS and the top of the Lowland League by the looks of things so I think anyone who expected Kelty to roll right through were always going to be disappointed.

Whether Barry Ferguson's the man to move them on from where they are now in a league which will probably get tougher in the next few years is another thing.

28 minutes ago, Midge said:

Dress it up as you like D but his inadequacies at Clyde we’re well highlighted when he was appointed. 

Get that but let’s see  how it pans out. None of us know what will happen in time.

It’s not dressing up it’s facts on our club and new managers, we have lost 1 game in 9.

What we do know is there’s a clear agenda at play here.

27 minutes ago, kefc said:

Another great crowd of 377 yesterday without any disrespect against a Uni side who traditionally don’t bring much of a support, not the sign of a club on the slide. 

And that's what this appointment was all about, very short sighted. Results matter above all else and he failed repeatedly at Clyde.

The management and committee of Kelty Hearts have shown great vision and very hard work to make the place into what it is and all respect and thanks to them. The point I raised was not intended to criticise but I left the game yesterday thinking... what has this guy actually brought to Kelty ? A strange formation(at least to my mind) 

i just don’t think he has come in and improved the team. Where are the players you might not have known about but he knows through being so widely connected in the game. I’m just looking for something he’s done that grabs the headlines but instead I think a bit of fizz has gone out of the team. 

I’ll be at the friendly on Tuesday and at the match on Saturday and I hope I can post that it’s clicked and we are looking at the Kelty momentum that we saw in the past.

Kelty realistically unlikely to win LL at first time of asking.Not impossible, and still isn’t but they are having a reasonable season. There’s no doubt they will go on winning runs again soon, the club is set up too well not to.

Ferguson (and Malcolm) is what’s attracting the criticism due to his profile and because he was despised by Clyde fans, his only managerial attempt previously. 

Its certainly an interesting gamble, but then every appointment is always a gamble to some degree. 

Personally I always think it must be difficult for someone who has played top level in Scotland and england and international captain to adjust to working with a group of semi pros 2 nights a week. It’s alien to everything he has experienced for the last 20 years. 

If it doesn’t work there will be a big queue desperate to point and laugh and say I told you so. Funny how other people’s failures give people great pleasure in football. A trait not so common in most other sports. 

kelty are trying to raise the bar in the LL so fair play to them, but also great praise to others who have responded, especially EK. It’s a league that’s definitely improving and will continue to as others come up.

Nobody has the divine right to win games, surely better to just enjoy the competitiveness and leave the bitterness for the old firm.

Im just delighted Cowden don’t have to face the league winners this season (hopefully!)

30 minutes ago, kefc said:

Get that but let’s see  how it pans out. None of us know what will happen in time.

It’s not dressing up it’s facts on our club and new managers, we have lost 1 game in 9.

What we do know is there’s a clear agenda at play here.

No agenda here whatsoever and I’m sure others are only saying told you so. Your club was very much on the up and heading in the right direction. Don’t think anyone inside or outside of Kelty expected you to waltz through this league,  as others have already stated there’s a huge gulf between the top half a dozen clubs and anything you’ve came up against in the past. The facts are though that when Tam left you were joint top of the league with Kilby , who don’t forget lost their manager only a week earlier. It may only be one defeat in nine as you point out but another fact is you are now 11 points behind. 

Archived