Elgin v Cowden

25 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Terrific win that for Cowden.  There must be a definite whiff of play off scent at central park.  After all they've been through with the squeaky bum smell, well done to them. 

Thanks but positions really  tight Stirling Under KR have to be dark horses ^_^ if I could bet.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Blue Oktober said:

Thanks but positions really  tight Stirling Under KR have to be dark horses ^_^ if I could bet.

Just under half a season to go so the final play off spot could go to quite a few sides! Its a tight pack in the middle of the table a case of a team hitting form at the right time.

6 minutes ago, Blue Oktober said:

We might be if we could stop shooting ourselves in the foot at the back.  We still have a persistent talent for that.    Anyways  happier times for you and you're due some.  I don't enjoy seeing any team  going through that relegation play off nightmare.  There but for the grace of God.........  I feel sorry for Albion Rovers too.   We've all tried to improve to a higher level, but the higher we went and spent, the further we fell when the overspend chickens came home to roost.  Up and out of here yes.  Overspend no thanks.  It's just too risky now. 

Starting to agree with Elginer about Price. I remember when Weir left hearing that Price was the brains behind the operation. Probably our worst home performance in many a year. The best team won. I don't understand why he resigned Gourley when we're needing a striker and have McHale, a member of the last England C international squad sitting on the bench, who I think is a better keeper. Will Gourley play against Hibs next week as Dundee signed a keeper on loan, meaning they won't need to recall him?

Why bring on Wilson, a full back, when we're chasing goals, when Beattie (admittedly past it),  a former  international striker, could have caused some sort of problems in their box.  Maybe we missed McLeish's running about today. Never thought I'd say that!

For what it's worth, I thought that Cowden were lucky to get their 2nd goal, as Morrison was fouled by their captain(?) when he connected doing a scissor kick. 

We might be if we could stop shooting ourselves in the foot at the back.  We still have a persistent talent for that.    Anyways  happier times for you and you're due some.  I don't enjoy seeing any team  going through that relegation play off nightmare.  There but for the grace of God.........  I feel sorry for Albion Rovers too.   We've all tried to improve to a higher level, but the higher we went and spent, the further we fell when the overspend chickens came home to roost.  Up and out of here yes.  Overspend no thanks.  It's just too risky now. 

It wasn’t nice to say the least. I do feel for Albion Rovers as I think they are in a worse position than we were. I hope no one goes down. I’m an old softy at heart and I remember playing Shire many times in the past and wish they hadn’t been relegated. I suppose it’s reality now and all small clubs are in danger short, middle or long term. Ah well.

15 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

TBF an affliction that all the teams in that chasing have hence why so tight it will be about the team that finds consistency as you say taking a gamble & overspending not the way.

Just now, onecowden said:

It wasn’t nice to say the least. I do feel for Albion Rovers as I think they are in a worse position than we were. I hope no one goes down. I’m an old softy at heart and I remember playing Shire many times in the past and wish they hadn’t been relegated. I suppose it’s reality now and all small clubs are in danger short, middle or long term. Ah well.

I took no pleasure in the Shire being the first victim. I'd like to think they could make it back someday.   In the meantime we have to take notice of what's happened with Edinburgh City.  This is just going to encourage our dear friends at the SFA to make the bottom spot automatic relegation and second bottom a play off spot.  Our clubs need to stand together and resist that if they try it.  I'd say the same if we were two leagues higher. Enough's enough and they know where they can stick their full time premier colt clubs too. It's called a reserve league. If that's not big enough to get them games, loan them out.

Just now, Blue Oktober said:

TBF an affliction that all the teams in that chasing have hence why so tight it will be about the team that finds consistency as you say taking a gamble & overspending not the way.

This is why I don't view fan's of other lower league club's as enemies.  I view them as fellow sufferers mate.

In the meantime we have to take notice of what's happened with Edinburgh City.  This is just going to encourage our dear friends at the SFA to make the bottom spot automatic relegation and second bottom a play off spot.  Our clubs need to stand together and resist that if they try it.

That’s the format in every other division, why should we be so resistant to it in league 2?

If you finish bottom you deserve to be relegated.

2 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

This is why I don't view fan's of other lower league club's as enemies.  I view them as fellow sufferers mate.

Good stance and I take a fairly similar view no animosity to any clubs in the lower leagues we will all have our up times & bad times . I've spent a lot of time in football but to be honest I only take an interest now at this level as for me as real as it gets. The sterile atmosphere of the premiership has no allure and I think an over rated product. I like to watch my local team  if they do well then happy times if not dig in and stay with the script as you allude every team at this level will have their day at some point realise & accept & hope your own is coming soon.

Just now, Clyde01 said:

That’s the format in every other division, why should we be so resistant to it in league 2?

If you finish bottom you deserve to be relegated.

Do I really have to state the obvious?  If you get relegated from the other leagues, you are still a league club.  It's not a probable death sentence as hung over Cowdenbeath.  I'll give you the other side of that argument.  If a lower or highland league club wants to get into the Scottish league, it should be able to prove it is at least better than the worst club in it.  If it can fair enough, if it can't it shouldn't be there.

2 hours ago, afca32 said:

Grim, just grim. Seriously need some players in this month.

To be fair to your team, it was a day where things went for us in attack. You also deserved a 2nd goal in 2nd half. 

You're definitely not the worst team we have faced. Berwick and Queens park have been recently and of course Albion have struggled ( except against us!).

You just looked lacking in confidence, pretty much from the start and we managed to capitalise.

best of luck anyway.

The worrying thing is that the team on the park at the start is probably our "strongest".   We just seemed completely flat, only waking up, for a short while, after we went 3 down and by then it was far too late.

A really poor day when not one Elgin player got near to pass marks.  I can hardly remember a pass that went where intended - far too slack.

And 21shots - only 4 on target (I only remember their keeper making one, granted very good, save) clearly not good enough.

I fear for us next weekend at Easter Road, but hopefully the players will be right up for it.  

Apparently we have tried to bring in three players during this window but all have opted for teams "at a higher level"... I hope we are still looking because something needs to change.

18 minutes ago, Am Muilleach said:

The worrying thing is that the team on the park at the start is probably our "strongest".   We just seemed completely flat, only waking up, for a short while, after we went 3 down and by then it was far too late.

A really poor day when not one Elgin player got near to pass marks.  I can hardly remember a pass that went where intended - far too slack.

And 21shots - only 4 on target (I only remember their keeper making one, granted very good, save) clearly not good enough.

I fear for us next weekend at Easter Road, but hopefully the players will be right up for it.  

Apparently we have tried to bring in three players during this window but all have opted for teams "at a higher level"... I hope we are still looking because something needs to change.

Have to say yesterday was a pleasant surprise I think about 10 years since we won up there and most recent game at home Elgin relatively comfortable winners.

I thought Elgin looked like side short of belief and flat the quietest I've seen Sutherland too. From a Cowden perspective we looked lively and pacey up front & capable of scoring more. Great save from McGurn in the second half as another goal  for Elgin could have spurred them on to a comeback. Good luck in the cup I have no doubt your boys will be up for it.

1 hour ago, Blue Oktober said:

Have to say yesterday was a pleasant surprise I think about 10 years since we won up there and most recent game at home Elgin relatively comfortable winners.

I thought Elgin looked like side short of belief and flat the quietest I've seen Sutherland too. From a Cowden perspective we looked lively and pacey up front & capable of scoring more. Great save from McGurn in the second half as another goal  for Elgin could have spurred them on to a comeback. Good luck in the cup I have no doubt your boys will be up for it.

We should have had a fifth when the keeper lost the ball after a poor pass back (I think it was a pass back) Couldn’t believe it when the ref gave a foul.

3 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

If we have lost out on three players (I know Dingwall from Ross County was one) it begs the question why were we letting players go before they had solid commitments on replacements?

I agree. I'd imagine that Dingwall was keen on remaining full time hence Raith Rovers. Heard a story a couple of weeks ago that McHale wants to leave  due to lack of game time.  Hope he starts now,

5 minutes ago, gordon9736 said:

I agree. I'd imagine that Dingwall was keen on remaining full time hence Raith Rovers. Heard a story a couple of weeks ago that McHale wants to leave  due to lack of game time.  Hope he starts now,

Certainly McHale is at least as good as Gourlay, and he has actually signed.  I see no point in playing loan players ahead of our own when they are of a similar standard otherwise we'll end up in the same situation next season with no signed player in a certain position and having to hope for loans.

It might sound mad just after the halfway point in the season but I think we should now be focusing on next season.   We aren't, seriously, going to be taking part in the play-offs and unless we have a spectacular collapse should be clear of the bottom...get the youngsters in and give them time to bed in.   That surely will be more beneficial to them than getting the odd 5 or 10 minutes at the end of a game.   We have enough experience in the team to be able to talk them through a game, surely.

Archived