LL Relegation

Baxter's Nutmeg

37 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

What a surprise you big raging red dotter :lol:

"What a surprise" that I agree the pyramid should be expanded to increase fluidity of movement to help teams find their level across the entire country?

Gee, you've really got me there!

Just purely looking at the LL, a 16 team league with 2 feeders below it and hopefully from next season 3, I think 2 relegation spots is the absolute minimum, especially when there is a west feeder as well. The argument for the SPFL relegation is not valid imo, when the LL is stronger there should be automatic relegation, but you can only push them when you open up yourselves and get stronger as a result.

I do fully understand the frustration re. the HL not opening up. However, there is currently no accepted step 6 league in the area. A majority of the North juniors & NCL clubs have voted for the pyramid, so in my opinion both the NCL and North Superleague should be given "tier 6 status". After that, the SFA should take more of a lead in it and force leagues at tier 5 to have 2 relegations spots minimum to tier 6 and so be properly open, if the SFA take that lead, I would expect the LL to comply. If a league refuses to co-operate, they should be kicked out of the pyramid and also lose their Scottish Cup spots, instead treat them like "outside leagues" with only the champion & cup winner going in. If the SFA take that stance, the HL will have to comply and probably will. If the NRJFA & NCL don't want to join the pyramid, it changes the situation obviously, as then you can't blame the HL for not allowing relegation as there is nowhere to relegate to.

36 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

"What a surprise" that I agree the pyramid should be expanded to increase fluidity of movement to help teams find their level across the entire country?

Gee, you've really got me there!

No your failure to explain our ‘irrelevant nonsense’ ... :)

16 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

No your failure to explain our ‘irrelevant nonsense’ ... :)

How other leagues operate has no relevance to what the LL should/shouldn't do in relation to relegation.

Putting that to one side, you mentioned the Premiership - it has 1.5 relegation spots in a 12 team league (12.5%), the LL has 1 relegation spot in a 16 team league (6.25%). The LL is half as open as the Premiership.

As already stated, the HL should have a feeder league into it and should be opened up to relegation at the bottom.

Repeatedly posting "aye but whit aboot them!" to any post questioning the structure isn't a valid argument.

Edited by Marshmallo

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

How other leagues operate has no relevance to what the LL should/shouldn't do in relation to relegation.

Putting that to one side, you mentioned the Premiership - it has 1.5 relegation spots in a 12 team league (12.5%), the LL has 1 relegation spot in a 16 team league (6.25%). The LL is half as open as the Premiership.

As already stated, the HL should have a feeder league into it and should be opened up to relegation at the bottom.

Repeatedly posting "aye but whit aboot them!" to any post questioning the structure isn't a valid argument.

Ah now that’s better now you’ve put the petted lip away and discussed it :). The LL does of course also guarantee no safety to 15th place so not quite 6.25%.

Hence why once SFA ratification comes through Newky will still be enduring sleepless nights throughout the play offs ! 

Disagree on the relevance of other leagues. Our own top flight has shown huge reluctance to open up. 

33 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Yet is still twice as open as the Lowland League, which is supposed to be the bastion of finding your level in a pyramid structure.

Not quite twice but I’m sure it took about 25 years to add the play off for 2nd bottom. Can see why LL clubs  have held back from diving straight in to 2/3 automatic relegation spots. It’s very early days though and it’ll come. 

6 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Irrespective of whoever makes it having one place is shite.  The LL can hardly complain about the lack of a direct promotion to league 2 when they have only one promotion place.

It reeks of protectionism and is quite frankly rubbish.

We all want a free flowing pyramid and what's on offer right now is not fit for purpose.

Heading into the season it was fit for purpose and has been for a number of years. Hopefully Summer 2019 it'll be something that will be reviewed.

2013/14 = No Licensed champions

2014/15 = No Licensed champions

2015/16 = No Licensed champions

2016/17 = Edusport Academy promoted unopposed

2017/18 = Kelty Hearts promoted following playoff with Threave Rovers

2018/19 = Likely EoS champion promoted unopposed

10 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Irrespective of whoever makes it having one place is shite.  The LL can hardly complain about the lack of a direct promotion to league 2 when they have only one promotion place.

It reeks of protectionism and is quite frankly rubbish.

We all want a free flowing pyramid and what's on offer right now is not fit for purpose.

I can’t quite get my head around how difficult it seems to be to accept that each club looks to look after and protect their own interests. 

As long as the Lowland League has to account for the possibilty of an extra relegation spot caused by the SPFL playoff, I doubt they'll go for more than two spots. How they go around arranging that depends on what comes in at Tier 6 from next year.

Which is why a Lowland League 2 probably seems like an attractive proposition due to it simplifying the process quite a bit.

12 hours ago, gogsy said:

its only six years sinc that we didn't have any pyramid system, we now have ninety teams added below the SPFL wit the potential of another 120-130 being added in the next couple of seasons, things aren't perfect but its an improvement.

Exactly Gogsy. 

20 hours ago, stanley said:

Highland League clearly should have relegation.  Separate issue to this discussion.

Lowland League will have a very strong EoS Premier below it hopefully with many licensed clubs.  Many of the clubs will be stronger than some of the weaker Lowland League clubs.  There will be pressure for more relegation spots in the future.  

The Highland League currently has no league below it and apparently no clubs desperate to get in.

I don't think you can argue against more relegation spots in the LL by saying HL has no relegation spots.  Very different situations below the HL and LL currently.  HL issue needs to be fixed but that's not a justification to keep the LL at one spot.

But the HFL isnt separate here So in effect you are saying the 2 leagues at tier 5 get relegation from only ONE o them. That's just ridiculous. Of course theres an argument here.Surely the same tiers throughout a pyramid  have the same spaces for promotion/relegation. 

The LL has been criticised and going a few years now where have all the "desperate to be promoted clubs"  in that time been  ?

I seem to be repeating myself here but until even the  north/south boundaries and the west juniors are sorted then i feel an extra relegation from the LL could be miles away. 

Sort oot the west and north 1st then yer talking  ?

Edited by newcastle broon

The Lowland League today have posted looking for applications to join the league to return it to a 16 team league.

Going by the article it would suggest that 15th is getting relegated and possibly 14th.

http://slfl.co.uk/applications-for-membership/?fbclid=IwAR2Gf5IvRzkt_tDMl8SEqiMEd-5MYCZtpROmnAwfiPz4KBbAKbQnjGy1P-w

10 minutes ago, selfassemblyshire said:

The Lowland League today have posted looking for applications to join the league to return it to a 16 team league.

Going by the article it would suggest that 15th is getting relegated and possibly 14th.

http://slfl.co.uk/applications-for-membership/?fbclid=IwAR2Gf5IvRzkt_tDMl8SEqiMEd-5MYCZtpROmnAwfiPz4KBbAKbQnjGy1P-w

It's mainly to replace Selkirk. 

15th was already said to be getting relegated. 

If Whitehill Welfare do get relegated they have the right to reapply.

"Please note in the event a club is relegated from the SLFL that club will be allowed to apply for any vacant position provided it submits an application within 48 hours of its position being confirmed. Any such application will be evaluated competitively against other applicants."

Edited by RampantFM

8 minutes ago, selfassemblyshire said:

It's something they would have to do regardless as they won't know if there is a licensed Tier 6 champion until quite late in the season.

1 minute ago, selfassemblyshire said:

Ah fair play. Are the likely EoS winners unlicensed?

I would imagine that Whitehill would get back in but you never know.

I'd imagine Linlithgow would be strong candidates.

I think the most likely team to win EoS - Bonnyrigg Rose - are going through licensing now like some others. 

Should be confirmed before the deadline of the end of March.

Clubs with licenses are -

6 clubs in the East of Scotland Football League: Burntisland Shipyard, Coldstream, Hawick Royal Albert, Linlithgow Rose, Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale, and Preston Athletic
4 clubs in the South of Scotland Football League: Newton Stewart, St Cuthbert Wanderers, Threave Rovers, and Wigtown & Bladnoch
2 Junior clubs: Banks O' Dee and Girvan