Montrose V East Fife

Interesting one this weekend.

A home win would see us only one point behind EF and the makings of a real play off battle.
Also the added benefit of overtaking Forfar or creating a huge gap above Stranny depending on their result.

A win for EF would really boost their play off place within touching distance of their Fife pals or a gap above Airdrie again depending how their game goes.

After the worries that SP might be on his way to the Pars but is going nowhere, hopefully a boost to everyone at the club.

Predict a 2-1 home win but wouldn't be surprised to see a draw.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be there for my first Montrose away match in Christ knows how long. Absolutely buzzing for it, a cracking away ground. As for the match, it'll be a test for both teams and the outcome will come down to which team wants it more. Last week, despite playing the same squad that bossed Raith Rovers only the weekend before, it was a complete shadow of that performance. Would like to see us try a 4-3-3 formation but we'll see. 

After the last 2 games, I'm not going to even attempt a prediction on this one. We need a repeat of the RR performance, not the Airdrie one. Do we need to change the team? Only 1 position in my view, and get LW back in the 11.

Tactical genius

HT
Montrose 0-2 East Fife
Tbh there's really nothing between the teams, but Montrose do seem to be trying to play the game without a cohesive midfield, when we're getting time to bring the ball down and play it about in that area, they can't touch us, but other than that it's pretty end to end stuff!!!

Disappointing from a Mo perspective. According the BBC stats, we had more possession, more shots, more corners but less shots on target - credit to East Fife, they got the goals.

Can't say much more than that, other than, we evidently need someone to hold up the ball in attack, like Templeman did last season and someone to finish when they do.

Let's hope for a better performance next week in the Cup, despite today's result.

After getting the 2 early goals, Montrose started pressing further up the park , to try and latch on to the Scud missiles launched from the back. The tactics worked to an extent, but as previously mentioned, they missed a holding player and a finisher. For all that, we squandered numerous chances,a d could easily have finished 4or 5 up. 2-0 was however a fairer reflection, and I'm sure every Fifer will be traveling home very happy.

Not quite at the races today, far too many 5/6 out of 10 performances on the pitch, and one or two invisible players. We did create spells of pressure but couldn't take any chances, and didn't have a functioning midfield until Cregg came on. Not sure why SP set the team up like that today. EF were pretty solid throughout - I was more impressed by them than Raith, certainly.  Disappointing afternoon, and a little frustrating, but no shame being outdone by teams like this. Big couple of games after the cup exploits to come.

2 defensive howlers from the same player who then turns around and blames everyone else.

Someone needs to tell Dillon he is no Beckenbaur. His 50 / 60 yard passes very rarely reach their intended target, 9 times out of 10 bulleting out for a throw in. 

Played better in the second half despite Campbell going for a hat trick of cock ups. We were very unlucky not to score.

As for the officials. How he never seen that hand ball on the edge of the box let alone hear the slap of hand to ball  echoing around the ground, god only knows.

Disappointing today. The first half was poor; we were flat and too many passes went astray. Also East Fife were up for it after the home defeat to us last time. The wrong side started the game; the midfield were too nice, we missed a Patrick Cregg or Paul Watson. Totally different second half but, the damage had been done. EF on that showing will be 2nd or 3rd they were well organised and had a stuffy defence. Stranraer and Dumbarton’s defeats means we haven’t been dragged backwards so onwards to the Cup and Dundee Utd.

Really good professional performance well worked 2nd goal. 

Excellent result- even more pleasing to do it without one of our most influential players this year-Agnew( also noticed Currie not in the squad?)

Playing with 5 in the middle means its some shift for the front man- thought Dowds did excellent for the first 60 minutes and unlucky not to get a few goals. Great to see Linton and Watt back also.
I also feel we miss the aggression of Kane at the back for games like this- but as I say great result- well done all.

Well played East Fife .Professional performance  against a team who seemed to have 1 eye on Dundee United next week.

Badly missing Bambi at the back and Winkwr and Padge  should be nailed on for next week. ..

Still could do with an out and out striker as Martin  huffed and puffed today without getting anywhere 

Archived